Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Planner?

Add functionality to create dependencies

Add functionality to link tasks with dependencies. One the upper level task is complete the tasks that are dependent on it would become active and notify those task owners.

572 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

43 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a very important function along with sub task (assignment & due date) will be great help.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if the sub-task could have its own fields, e.g. due date, assigned to, time to completion (hours), etc.

• Sergio Nesbitt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dependency linking would be a huge update, please do it and give us this ability. Would be easier to sell.

• Dawson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Microsoft, simple dependency functionality ahs been request as far back as 2016. what's the status on this? In the works? being ignored? Buy Microsoft project? Would be nice to know as this is a simple feature that has been outstanding for quite some time now.

• Jake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please. And the ability to add due dates to each dependency.

• Gareth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dependencies please - This has to be built into any project planning tool. Even if you could add additional functionality to create bucket subcategories visually that would be a good start. List them in a navigable tree structure etc. You could then build a dependency stack of tasks by sub bucket initially. Given current functionality that shouldn't be too much work.... should it? :)

• Lisa Murmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Probably more see dependencies as described in the gant chart post - to finish this major milestone we need each of "x" subtasks with their own assignees and timelines completed - you should be able to filter and report only on major/parent tasks to make status reporting easy. so a build out of current checklist functionality - I like the idea further down that you could promote a checklist item to a child task...

• Thomas Henkelmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would not try to duplicate functionality that exists in Project Online or Project Professional i.e. build a schedule with predecessors and successors. A simple "this task belongs to..." with a list or maybe even only one other tasks would already help a lot. And it could be integrated into the promotion of checklist items: when you promote a checklist item to a new task it could automatically inherit "I belong to my former task".

• Jakub Havel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As for task dependency it would be useful to integrate it to checklists – right now the checklist feature is not that useful without notifications.
        If checklists in tasks would notify workers and get individual deadlines, that'd be awesome, because the task itself would express the task definition and process including deadline (of the whole task) and checklist items would express individual steps. Maybe it would be awesome to add possibility to assign cheklist item to certain person?
        So in the end it would be more than great to transform checklists into sub-tasks with its own people assigned, deadline set and notifications available 😊.

explanation of notifications:
        – notify person assigned to following sub-task, that he/she can start working on it
        – notify "everyone" about progress on the task

• Deb Walther commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use this when I created my old SharePoint Project Sites via a Task list. I'm lost without it.

• Michael Bongard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a very important feature. Its present omission precludes use of Planner for serious, "big-ticket" projects. Please implement!

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this would aid in the development of a Gantt chart view as well. Overall would given planner a much greater level of added flexibility and value if teams need to plan long term.

• WebSolprov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be much needed to bring MS Planner forward into more applicable project management tool; also to be able to add custom fields as you can do with Trello.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base