Add functionality to create dependencies
Add functionality to link tasks with dependencies. One the upper level task is complete the tasks that are dependent on it would become active and notify those task owners.
YES! PLEASE! Along with a critical path feature.
Matt Barker commented
This has to be the first step in being about to create a ghantt chart from a planner board. Dependant tasks with deadlines. Then you could see who had missed a deadline and how it impacted subsequent tasks.
Something inspired by the trello implementation of 'adding links' would be very desired, it is very flexible for different tasks but still very usable for dependencies.
Something similar would be enjoyed a lot:
- links to other cards are created from the card you work on (no need to go copy from another card)
- the link will present itself as a mini visual presentation of the linked card, including some info usefull to understand if it is done (no need to click the link to check te linked card for status)
- the link can be seen / managed from the linked card as well (to understand dependencies from 2 sides)
- links -shown as the visual presentation- are be added in any tekst (not as attachment only) so text is easliy added to explain the 'WHY' of that link
- links are added cross-boards from the card you work on, enabling to create a portfolio board (with projects as cards) with links on those cards to boards, buckets or cards on the seperate project boards easily.
My 5 cents :)
Barbara Ginn commented
The ability to create dependent tasks and clone those task groups across all client accounts is imperative. Please commence development, if you have not already.
This is a great idea, another way to do this is to be able to re-assign task to another person, after the task has been completed. for instance a copywriter might complete the task, and then assign the task to graphics designer. On the reporting side, the completed task still remains on the copywriter side and a new task is on the graphic designer task. Further to this, the ability to track the task history as it moves from one person to the other
Why is this feature request ignored? You'd think that they should at least have the decency to reject it instead of ignoring it for years. What's the point of asking for feedback if you completely ignore it. How professional!
@Mike I think you need Microsoft's other solution for development called Azure Dev Ops. Its comparable to Jira and highly customizable, although licensing is completely separate from Office 365.
ANY dependency capability would be great! At a Task level would be perfect, but even at a Bucket level could be a good good start.
Agree with below comments, vital for this to be practical as a PM tool
Jira provides loose model of what is needed:
For each Planner card, you can select what type of card it is. For example:
"Project" card is for large body of work that may depend on a number of "Task" cards.
"Task" card is a medium body of work that may depend on a number of "Subtask" cards.
"Subtask" card is the smallest body of work.
Six critical aspects of this feature are, as follows:
1) The "Project" card, dependent "Task" cards, and dependent "Subtask" cards can each be assigned to different people.
2) Dependent "Task" cards are listed (and hot-linked) within the "Project" card; dependent "Subtask" cards are listed (and hot-linked) within the "Task" card.
3) Provide the ability to filter on each level (e.g., only see "Project" cards) to remove noise in the Bucket view.
4) Provide the ability to disassociate a "Task" card from a "Project" card and a "Subtask" card from a "Task" card. Allow those cards to be orphaned or to be re-associated with another card that is one level higher than it.
5) Allow each card type to easily be changed into another card type -- change a "Project" card to a "Task" card to a "Subtask" card (any combination).
6) Allow "Task" cards to be linked to a "Project" card in a different plan (for plans where a trust relationship has been agreed by both plan owners). Same for "Task" cards and "Subtask" cards.
Helpful: You could have a card that is higher than a "Project" card for very large projects (e.g., a "Program" card).
Note: I cannot emphasize enough how essential this feature is to the successful use of Planner by most organizations. Please implement this!!
This is a complex feature and should be combined into this thread:
If you combine the votes of these threads, it is apparent just how critical this feature is to most organizations.
A. Fahim Ayub commented
This reduces the need for us to switch to using other apps for managing projects of such nature.
We have a dire need for this functionality...is this even in development yet?
Another vote for Task Dependencies. Nee them within bucket, across buckets and across plans please.
Yes, dependency between tasks is important. "Task A must be completed before task B" with automatization refresh dependent task start - end date
I need the ability to create dependencies:
- Within a bucket (amongst the tasks in the bucket)
- Within a plan
- Across plans
This is a must feature that is available in every other similar tools. It will stop adoption of the tool if the functionality is not there
A link to other tasks in general would be nice. This feature could assist teams by referencing other tasks to gain clarity of an assignment, standardize work, and prevent duplication of a process.
Essential where one task cascades a number of related subtasks
In my company, we are getting full committed with Enterprise Office tools and features. Planner seems to be very handy on general tasks and for projects where more detailed is needed, but this "link usage" in between tasks is extremely essencial and a "must have".
Are there any recent plan in order to have this in place?
Teams is a great tool for collaborating, however certain limitations such this task dependencies and linking. There are too many tools out there for PM collaboration, but an integrated solution in MS Teams would really be beneficial.