Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Planner?

Add functionality to create dependencies

Add functionality to link tasks with dependencies. One the upper level task is complete the tasks that are dependent on it would become active and notify those task owners.

749 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

57 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not having dependency-based planning makes Planner an incomplete solution for project planning. It's fine for very simple "to do list" type work in an idealized way where you can set a plan and then not have dates change, but not for managing multi-stakeholder deliverables in the real world, not being able to link cards and setup dependencies is a dealbreaker. Since Project doesn't have a Teams tab integration, and Project does, it makes sense to layer this feature in here!

• Jay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be brilliant as a way to complete your section and hand it over to the next person. Could this be connected to Flow?

This is would be very useful because I do not any other way to do quickly in Microsoft Teams

Absolutely necessary for planner to have the success it deserves. This functionality is available in similar tools such as Redbooth and is very useful.

• Bjørn Holte Johansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am working in a large organization, and we have a hierarchy in the line of management. My boss has a group of managers round his table, and he uses MS Planner to keep track of tasks. When I get a task assigned to me, I would have liked to be able to span one or more subtasks into other MS Planner Plans where my employees got access. In this way, I would be able to allocate work (tasks) directly to my employees based on the tasks I get from my boss. This would also make it easy to create and follow up on all my tasks.

In addition to span subtasks onto another Plan, it would have been nice if I could also monitor the progress of a subtask directly in the parent task (‘Subtask not started’, ’Subtask is in progress’, ‘Subtask completed’)

I think this is important to let a good basic project management approach. It is in my opinion strictly related to the gantt view

• Adam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a much needed feature. My company recently moved to using Microsoft Planner, and this is a feature that would be a wonderful enhancement to the product. If you'd really like to add icing to the cake, the ability to visualize dependencies would be even more amazing.

No matter if you are an agile organization or a waterfall organization, there are always dependencies, and my products are missing the mark on being able to track these, and visualize them.

Adding this functionality would make this more useful. Minus it, I'm going to have to find an alternate solution.

A year ago planner looked promising, now, not so much. Seems that MS has more important things to do than actually deliver a fit for purpose PM solution; MS Project is just too hard basket for most users and Planner is too simple to be truly useful. Oh well, off to a 3rd party solution I go....

• Sumit C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In most of the cases task is dependent on another task. How can you miss this...

• Joshua Rosenberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am surprised how this, a crucial and very basic planning feature has not received more votes.(Let alone how it was not part of the original release.) I suppose most people who vote here are not very experienced. Dependencies are essential when it comes to planning. If this ever gets to be considered don't waste our time with "more feedback" See what Wrike and MS Project do for dependencies and do the exact same thing.Really this is basic and super easy to implement. Just do it.

• Fritz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very important would be as already described dependencies AND due dates to different subtasks.

This is a very important function along with sub task (assignment & due date) will be great help.

It would be great if the sub-task could have its own fields, e.g. due date, assigned to, time to completion (hours), etc.

• Sergio Nesbitt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dependency linking would be a huge update, please do it and give us this ability. Would be easier to sell.

• Dawson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Microsoft, simple dependency functionality ahs been request as far back as 2016. what's the status on this? In the works? being ignored? Buy Microsoft project? Would be nice to know as this is a simple feature that has been outstanding for quite some time now.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base