Microsoft Planner - Feedback Forum

Welcome!

We've partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this forum. We love your feedback and ideas on how we can improve Planner. We can’t promise we’ll build everything, but our product group will review all ideas and do our best to respond to top suggestions.

How to join the conversation:

• VOTE for existing ideas - this will also subscribe you to the idea's status updates.
  • SUBMIT new ideas - if you haven't found it via search.
  • COMMENT on threads - add anything else you'd like us to consider.
  • JOIN us on Planner's Tech Community for Q&A, blogs from the Planner team, and more!

Thank you for joining our community and helping improve Planner!

Lawyer stuff
Please note that the Planner’s Feedback Forum is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. If your submission is not a product feature suggestion it may be removed. Please do not send any novel or patent-able ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

Need technical support? Visit our support page.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Group By View (Default Views)

When inside of a Plan the default "group by" view is bucket. I'd like to be able to change the default view to "Progress" or have the ability to set a default to any of the view options.

170 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

18 comments  ·  Boards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add horizontal swim lanes

Add horizontal swim lanes to make it more like true KANBAN.

158 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Boards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Sub Buckets

The option to have a "main bucket" f.ex "Development" with 2 "sub buckets" called "Ongoing" and "Done". This will help reduce the amount of horizontal buckets

151 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Feature to auto assign tasks created by you

The ability to configure an auto assignment for tasks you create, maybe your the manager and want all your tasks auto assigned to your number 1 and they are tasked with re assignment. or you want all tasks created by you, assigned to you.

Right now I create tasks and have to go into each one and assign to me, so i can get an accurate view of all my open tasks.

thank you

140 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Boards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. CREATE PARENT TASK, CHILDREN(SUB TASKS), GRANDCHILDREN (SUB TASKS OF SUB TASKS)

Like in MS Project, we need to create the Parent Task and Sub-Tasks and Sub-Tasks of Sub Tasks and so on. If I am creating a webpage I need to create the Parent Task HOME and all sub-tasks (elements) that are included in HOME PAGE. Sub-Tasks of Sub Tasks would be the Sub Pages from the Parent HOME Page and so on. PARENT Task would have option to add Sub-Tasks. When we see the Parent Task we will also able to see all the sub-tasks list. If there are Sub-Tasks of Sub-Tasks we would also see in Parent task. This…

136 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Boards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Link a Task Card to another Plan

We Tried adding our major projects as Task Cards, categorized by various Buckets. For us, each Task Card is another Plan/Project by itself. If a Task card could be linked to their respective Plans, it would be a great drill down to see every plan in the organization in detail, and also see an Organization wide overview of Plans.

135 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Boards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow more than 21 items in a check list

Currently We can only add 21 items in a checklist, Currently that limits quite a few number of our boards. We would like more

OR

We would like the ability to add Multiple different checklists in a single card.

133 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Boards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Change Plan Color

The preview color--or the color of the plan box-should be customizable. This would allow you to select a better color, and to color code your individual plans as relating to a larger project.

131 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Boards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Adjust Bucket column width

Be able to adjust the column width of each bucket I make. Adjustments can be within reason, I would like to make them a little smaller so I can see them all on my screen without scrolling over.

127 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Boards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Assign a size to each task

We use scrum, so sizing of items is an obvious data field gap on Planner as it stands today. We can use the ribbons for sizing (sort of... there aren't enough to replicate traditional story points but I've cut it back to 0/1/3/8/20/100 for now). This is a compensatory workaround though. The sizing mechanism should be flexible - where we use story points (0.5, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 20, 40, 100, Infinity), another user might want to define item size in t-shirt sizes (S, M, L, XL...) and another user might want something else.

125 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Setting Task Colors

You can set the label colors, but it would also be nice to be able to set just the background color of the task itself irrespective of the label colors. This could be used to quickly look at a set of buckets or the whole plan and see a color. The color could be to denote an assigned-to person, priority, category, etc.

124 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Boards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Don't limit the number of Checklist items per Task Card

Don't limit the number of Checklist items per Task Card

123 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Boards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Paste multiple lines into checklist as separate items

I'd like to be able to copy multiple lines of text from one app and paste them into the ADD AN ITEM checklist area and have each line added as a separate task.

122 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Boards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Ability to see all tasks for all memebers across multiple plans

As a manager of multiple plans, I need the ability to view all my plans in a single board so I can prioritize tasks from multiple plans across shared resources

121 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Boards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. List View

List view like Asana where I can view tasks in horizontal list format and sort by headings

119 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Boards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Recolour and reorder labels

Planner is designed as a competitor to Trello I presume. Trello allows the labels to be recoloured (Including with a colourblind option to texture the label as well) and to be re-ordered. For example a user may want the blue label to be at the top instead of the bottom.

118 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Ability to do @ comments

In the comments section when you enter @(User) it post the comment to their email

116 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Boards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Please Add Permission-Based Roles into Planner Boards

As per the title, please add Permission-Based Roles to Planner boards.

There is evidence that there is a high-demand and need to manage what users can/cannot do within a Planner board. For example, there is a lot of concern that (1) anyone within the group can delete cards and buckets within a board, and (2) that there is no audit trail to help monitor this type of activity.

Here’s a collection of different posts asking for (basically) the same feature since late 2015 when Planner rolled out, one of which has nearly 500 votes but has not gotten any official…

110 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Boards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Planner groups with private tasks

We want to use planer as simple ticket system - customer have already office 356 so we can add them as guests - But they should not see created tickets from other customer..

It would be nice to have a planner group where tasks are only visible to owner, the creator and tagged people.

If this would be also possible per task (not groupe), we could also use it internal to organise billings, evaluations etc.

107 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Boards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Persistent filters

Can filters be persistent? If I set filter then later close Planner, I want the filter to be there the next time I launch Planner. For example if I filter a board for cards that are assigned to me, the next time I open Planner I want it to still filter cards assigned to me until I remove this filter.

104 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Microsoft Planner - Feedback Forum

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base