How can we make Planner better?

For all comments, email notifications need to be sent to all assigned to that task.

For all comments, email notifications need to be sent to all assigned to that task. That is the main use of Planner. If team members have completed their task; they can remove themselves from the assigned list, to stop the unwanted emails.

96 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mark Baracani shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • OAGM-JU commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would be curious to if there is an update on that request. For our organization, a push notification within Teams would be the best solution too, since that is the purpose of Teams - keep internal information separate from emails.

Something else regarding the Planner API: right now, comments are not part of the API. We did try to create a workaround using Flow but couldn't get the data from Planner comments. Something to consider as well! Thanks!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any news on this one? This is very important for us. I'm assigning tasks and getting no feedback on what is happening unless I go looking for it!

• Mirko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Better not to be EMAIL notifications, we need an organic PUSH notification system within Teams so that it helps keeping track of which tasks advance, based on who is assigned to the task. Sounds like a pretty basic utility to me.

Absolutely. Planner has a long way to go in regards to improving it's notification process. Basecamp is visually antiquated and clunky, but had great notifications that could be learned from here:
    1. when a task is assigned, you could choose to notify the assigned or not (based on how soon it is due, etc).
    2. You can tag anyone on that project in the comments, to add them to the notification feed.
    3. You can remove yourself or others from future comment updates, if you've addressed your part of the task and then don't want to be involved anymore.

If those 3 things could happen in Planner, it would be a game-changer for how much (and how well) we could utilize this tool. Right now, other than those assigned, it's just a black hole for anyone commenting and asking for updates.

• Natalie Parker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. My admin didn't realize I had added comments to a card because she hadn't yet commented, and therefore, did not receive email notifications.

• Heinrich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, I can confirm, this is exactly the behavior I expected. I even thought something is going wrong because the assigned task members got not notified regarding the comments!
    Now I have to tell everyone which is assigned to a task response at least once that you get notifications?! Seriously?

Anyway, of course a simply configuration choice for each plan would be highly welcome
    * sent notifications on task comments to all plan members
    * sent notifications on task comments to the users of a task (default)
    * don't send notifications on task comments

Agreed - the whole 'comments on task' feature is a bit useless without this. As it stands, if I assign a task to someone, then an hour later add a comment - the person to whom the task is assigned doesn't get a notification. I can see why you need a mechanism to stop everyone receiving updates about everything, but surely the assignee is the most important person in the chain? There may be other interested parties you want to keep in the loop - forcing them to 'subscribe' by making them add a comment is incredibly clunky.

• Mark W. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Simply put... we need more email options. I'm ready to stop using Planner because everyone on my team (and that list is large) is getting emails when anyone comments. I associate the people I want to get notified by adding them as Assigned To.

In TEAMS, when I create a plan, it sends the item to EVERYONE on the TEAM Channel (and there are TONS of people on the Team Channel to control access.)

I would love if the emails stopped when a user is unassigned from a task as well. Currently, they still receive comment updates if they have commented before

To me, this is must have feature, no? When you assigned task to team. It means you added them to the loop, so all communication should be notified to them.

Agree, either let us @mention users to send notifications specifically to them or, like Trello does it, @card for all users on the card, or let us manually pick users to send a notification to.

Feedback and Knowledge Base