Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Planner?

I want a "Convert to Task Planner" button for emails

Most of our tasks come in via email, a simple button to convert it to a planner task would be imperative, otherwise it renders the planner a little bit pointless for us.

2,061 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Scheduled  ·  AdminPlanner Team (Admin, Planner) responded  · 

We’re in the process of finalizing designs for a Planner add-in for Outlook. From the add-in, users will be able to create tasks for Planner without having to leave their inbox. The email subject and body will autofill as the task title and description, respectively and users will have the ability to set plan, bucket and assignees . We appreciate your feedback and patience and look forward to this first step in what we hope to be a greater integration with Outlook!

72 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MikeC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I noticed that the "Integration with outlook tasks" idea that has accumulated 8,539 votes recently had an update from the admins that said "We’ve pivoted our work here to focus on our integration with ToDo, rather than an Outlook Add-in."
        Does this pivot to ToDo also mean that the Convert to Planner Task from Outlook feature is also being abandoned?
        This is the core feature that I (and obviously many others) need to put Planner into our workflows. I find it odd that Trello, which is not made by Microsoft, has tighter integration with Outlook than Planner which is made by Microsoft.
        Please provide feedback on the future of this proposed feature if possible.
        Thank you.

• JP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As more and more business are using Mac, please also immediately program it also for Outlook for Mac.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Evernote can do that, wunderlist can do that, omnifocus can do that, a lot of apps can do that, but not the little Microsoft :=)
        Sending a email to planner for creating a task... WITH the attached docs.
        It would be so kind...

• allard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We want a “Convert To Task” button not only in outlook but all over in Office 365. From one note to convert the note into task, from a teams discussion, from one drive document, from groups conversation, from meeting calendar event etc.

• Joakim Wasseng commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sounds great, thanks. But if you had an e-mail for the plan, other apps than Outlook could also add tasks by sending an e-mail to the plan. You then could use all sorts of automation processes to create tasks.

• Pierre Trudel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Flow is not the solution. I don't want to flag message so that they end up in planner. I want to be able to create a task in the planner board and budcket I choose while reading my mail. And I want it to work from OWA. Either planner is an integrated tool in the O365 suite or it is a fluke that will go away. BTW plenty of solution with Gmail and Trello working perfectly now.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would have to agree - a button in outlook would be simplest way to support all user requirements - flow is something too much for common denominator users - ie my dads level.

• RJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We should be able to Create a planner task using a sent or received email. It would save a lot of time currently spent duplicating documentation that's already in the email just to manually create a planner task.

• René commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Instead of converting a mail to a task I would like to be able to flag an email with a task like it works with categories. A dropdown in Outlook with all the Plans/Tasks so we can easily mark a mail for being relevant to one or more Plans or Tasks would be great.
        In Planner we should be able to open a window with the flagged mails for the active Plan or Task.

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a possiblity to make a Flow solution, it's more tedious I have one that works.
        * Flag mail
        * Create task in planner
        * convert html to text
        * Insert text in description

Still lacking ability to add attachments in Flow, also making a flow for each planner is not good.
        You could potentially use other ways of marking mail, move to folder or similar, but it's not user friendly at all.

The need for a button is important for end users, it should be a planner style box that opens with all the normal options. A simple layover that shows your plans and you chose one.
        - Header -> Description
        - Content -> Converted to text in description
        - Attachemnts -> Attachments
        As well as a checkbox for each to add or not.

Design should be planners current one, only step between is to choose plan first (if you have more than one), or even give possiblity to create new planner (although this can cause some other problems due to people not understanding groups).

This feature is indeed essential.

• Heather commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Flow doesn't really work because I would want the option to have the flagged email be a checklist within a task rather than a whole new task. Right now, the Flow only allows you to create it as a Task in a Bucket. But I want a List Item in a Task.

Ultimately, for the original request, we should be able to convert to either as well, to accommodate the different ways people use tasks.

• Bill G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Planner, look at the fields required to create planner task.. make those fields avail in outlook when a user is reading an email and clicks a button called “create planner task”.. that would go a long way for us.. then in a couple months add the ability to create a plan/Board within this new “create planner task” feature ... just give us something basic to start with(other than your flow solution) then expand from there.. look at trello, apps4pro, wrike, asana.. outlook add in for guidance...

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base