How can we make Planner better?

Due date notification

If a task is late (the due date has passed), please make sure to send a notification to both the owner and anyone related to the task (coworkers, team leader,...).

3,725 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Yoav shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

112 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Phil Brannigan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lots of comments saying how essential it is. I agree. Some people will go to Planner and look at the dashboards, but you're always going to have people on a project who aren't going to do that. Email is the only way to remind them they need to do something.

• Data commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a very important feature to have. Not sure why it is not included?

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If a task is due (two days before its due date) be sure to send a notification to all members of that plan, so there is reaction time.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea, managers need ways of knowing when their team members are running behind

• MrDee82 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any ETA on this? I introduced Planner to my organisation today, as I thought it is a great tool for our small project teams.
    At first, Planner looks like a great product but after several questions came up from staff regarding essential functions, I realize that it is far from ready.

I agree with my fellow users here, this is a simple function which is a MUST!

• Matthew Burrows commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely needs the task late and due date approaching notifications. As a PM, its a key tool required to facilitate timely projects. C'mon Microsoft!

• SteveO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should be a setting that allows for various notifications to be sent to inform users, 2 weeks until due, 1 week until due, due, past due, you're fired... etc.. Anyone have any status from MS about this?

• NBS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft, the number of votes on this idea should be moving the needle with you. This is key missing functionality.

As a project manager, I like Planner because it allows users to update their own tasks, and I don't have to do all of the updating. When I have a fast-paced project, I don't have the time to do all of that extra documentation work. However, Planner makes me work ******* reminding users when their tasks are coming up as due or are overdue. Tasks go from due tomorrow, due today, to various days past due without any notification at all to the user, so I have to be the bad guy and nag them until they respond.

Shame that their tasks are overdue isn't always a good motivator to get users to respond. If the notifications about their late tasks could be sent to not just the person who owns the late task but also to all of the key project stakeholders, those key stakeholders could be helping me ***** the whip on the backsides of the underperformers.

Thanks for listening.

• Vince commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously, I assigned some tasks to realize that people weren't getting them. Come on, Basecamp, Asana, they all do it automatically once a task is assigned. And keep bugging you until you are done.

• C. Brodeur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ideally this should integrate with the outlook "Tasks section". Even google allows you to assign a task in your calendar and provides you reminders. Me and my team live by our calendars.

• Jay Sliwinski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Amen. Asana provides notifications of tasks that are coming due, those that are due, and those that are late. I am considering switching back.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a very simple feature that every successful task management system needs to have. Without simple notifications about a due date, the system definitely isn't as efficient and meaningful as it could and should be.

• Giorgi Shonia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Notifications are essential. Ideally with some customization of when and to whom notifications will be sent. say interface could be:

===
    select parties to be notified. two listboxes choices and selections. choices would include some preset choices (eg everyone assigned to the task, every member of the project). under choices listbox also picker for anyone in the directory (similar to when assigning task). and finally textbox for adding just any email.

relative to milestone: choices: task creation date, task start date, due date, just some calendar date.

dates to be notified: this should allow multiple selections similar to say calendar reminders: notify minute/hour/day before/after. should be able to have multiple adds per single submission.

add notification settings to task
    ===

should be able to add several such notification settings per task if want to go with different combinations of above.

• Hugh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a huge timesaver as following up on deliverables takes an inordinate amount of time. I'd prefer to have this be an automated process within the app itself, rather than having to rely on me to babysit each person, plan and task. As well, and an important feature IMO, is that it should give the option of having each notification emailed separately as soon as it occurs or a summary sent daily or weekly. This will help us manage our inbox to reduce clutter from notifications and alerts.

• Stephan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A few Group/Plan owners are about ready to jump ship without this feature. No one remembers they have tasks assigned to them (or know they have tasks assigned to them, with the current state of email notifications...) and things go past their due date, projects are late, etc.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Si una tarea esta proxima a su fecha de termino, por favor, que envie notificaciones a la persona que tiene dicha tarea, a los colaboradores y al propietario del plan.

• plunet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ideally a tick box next to date choice boxes for start date and end date to enable notification of task start and task end. And rather than send these out at midnight in some timezone of Redmond's choosing, maybe sending notifications at (say) 8am of the day of the user's locale would be most appropriate.

• MSE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Indeed, the start date is important. I'd say that it ought to be one long 'appointment' / task

• NBS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of notification to the user when their task is coming due or is late makes the users treat the deadlines in the tool as soft deadlines, and then the project manager (me) has to nag them to get their work done. Well, some of the users are self-starters and ready to update their tasks without constant pestering.

Feedback and Knowledge Base