How can we improve Planner?

Due date notification

If a task is late (the due date has passed), please make sure to send a notification to both the owner and anyone related to the task (coworkers, team leader,...).

2,204 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

YoavYoav shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

42 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also if the due date is approaching f. e. in one week / 3 days, you would get a notification or alert.

• Avi MizrahiAvi Mizrahi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To add to this - The ability to turn on reminder notifications x # of days prior to due date.

Absolute must have, alerting on tasks. How else are people supposed to know they have tasks?

• Joe S.Joe S. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be great to be able to customize the notifications such that the PM can select when the assigned resource gets notifications (eg, on due date, 1 day before due, 2 days before due). The email should have a link not only to the task in planner, but also to any document/ file that may be included in the task.

This came up in July and notifications are still not an option. Seems silly since some of your computers (Asana) is free and does it.

I started using the planner solely for this option of reminders. And it seems it's not there

• Phil BranniganPhil Brannigan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lots of comments saying how essential it is. I agree. Some people will go to Planner and look at the dashboards, but you're always going to have people on a project who aren't going to do that. Email is the only way to remind them they need to do something.

• DataData commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a very important feature to have. Not sure why it is not included?

• DanielDaniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If a task is due (two days before its due date) be sure to send a notification to all members of that plan, so there is reaction time.

This is a great idea, managers need ways of knowing when their team members are running behind

• MrDee82MrDee82 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any ETA on this? I introduced Planner to my organisation today, as I thought it is a great tool for our small project teams.
        At first, Planner looks like a great product but after several questions came up from staff regarding essential functions, I realize that it is far from ready.

I agree with my fellow users here, this is a simple function which is a MUST!

• Matthew BurrowsMatthew Burrows commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely needs the task late and due date approaching notifications. As a PM, its a key tool required to facilitate timely projects. C'mon Microsoft!

• SteveOSteveO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should be a setting that allows for various notifications to be sent to inform users, 2 weeks until due, 1 week until due, due, past due, you're fired... etc.. Anyone have any status from MS about this?

• NBSNBS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft, the number of votes on this idea should be moving the needle with you. This is key missing functionality.

As a project manager, I like Planner because it allows users to update their own tasks, and I don't have to do all of the updating. When I have a fast-paced project, I don't have the time to do all of that extra documentation work. However, Planner makes me work ******* reminding users when their tasks are coming up as due or are overdue. Tasks go from due tomorrow, due today, to various days past due without any notification at all to the user, so I have to be the bad guy and nag them until they respond.

Shame that their tasks are overdue isn't always a good motivator to get users to respond. If the notifications about their late tasks could be sent to not just the person who owns the late task but also to all of the key project stakeholders, those key stakeholders could be helping me ***** the whip on the backsides of the underperformers.

Thanks for listening.

• VinceVince commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously, I assigned some tasks to realize that people weren't getting them. Come on, Basecamp, Asana, they all do it automatically once a task is assigned. And keep bugging you until you are done.

• C.  BrodeurC. Brodeur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ideally this should integrate with the outlook "Tasks section". Even google allows you to assign a task in your calendar and provides you reminders. Me and my team live by our calendars.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base