How can we improve Planner?

Allow Tasks to be moved between Plans/Boards.

Currently you can only move Tasks to different Buckets within a Plan/Board. It would be very useful to be able to also copy or move them to different Plans/Boards that you are a member of.

3,812 votes
Sign in
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Antony shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Planned  ·  AdminPlanner Team (Admin, Planner) responded  · 

Thank you for your feedback and patience!

We’ve delivered the ability to copy a task within a plan, and are currently working to understand the steps that need to take place first to enable this functionality. In the meantime, please continue to share your thoughts and scenarios with us – we read and value all of your comments.

The Planner Team

Sign in
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      • TJohnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fully support this--I had the same thought.
        Enable tasks created in one plan to link to, or move to, another plan (board). Copying the task, or copying link to the task, does not mean that the copy can be saved in a new plan. This would help streamline Planner use for those of us managing multiple Boards that involve different groups.

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just want to say I think Planner sucks really bad. I am even angry that I am forced by my other teammates to use it when it lacks the VERY MOST BASIC features. Moving a task between plans should not be a rearchituring event. The fact you can not turn this around quickly tells me the staff you put on designing this platform were not up to the task. This isn't the only thing that's missing. How about an ability to see every task assigned to someone across plans so managers can actually track what their staff are working on. I am sure this will be taken as general trolling but honestly I waited over a year to write this and in that time almost nothing has changed. This just isn't a advanced tool and to see you struggle with the basics is depressing to say the least. Get your act together, your impacting my ability to do my job as I am forced to use this premature tool.

• Joacim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As part of learning how to best use Planner in an organisation you tend to try out different scenarios. Maybe we should have one big Planner for the whole department, maybe just one for sysadmins et.c. When doing this you don't want to paint yourself into a corner, which is unfortunately what Planner without being able to copy between plans is doing. When/if you realize that you want to merge plans or split plans up, being able to copy tasks is essential.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a sprint board and a pre plan board. When we have decided on a sprint, I want it to copy to a board. My company hasn't switched to EXO yet so I can't see if I can use Flow to create the same effect with a completed task triggering a spo new list item, then create planner task.

• Faisal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add the simple ability to move a task card from one plan to the other.. or help us create "template" tasks!!

• Tommaso commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My company just recently has started Using Microsoft Teams and I wanted to import all my Plans (from Microsoft PLanner) to Microsoft Teams.
        Unfortunately while I can create a Plan from within Mictosoft Teams to Planner, I cannot import an existing Plan into Microsoft Teams...
        I thought I can recreate all the plans (using Microsof tTeams) and just move my cards from one Plan to another but this also doesn't work, please implement this feature (or allow import of existing Plans into Teams).
        Thank you

• Nestor Martinez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do you have any idea on when it could be finally implemented? Me and my team have been waiting quite a while in order to use this feature

It would already be nice if we could just move or copy "all" the tasks of one planner to another one.
        Second step (but hopefully quick to follow) could be to have the option to filter that move/copy based on Bucket(s) and/or Progress (only open or also closed tasks).
        Having the option to copy/move a specific tasks would be a third step for me.
        A fourth step could be to select different tasks to move at once (extension of third step).

• Lionel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On big projects, it could help to relate several Plans and to be able to move tasks from one to another.

• Jan Mikkelsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

id echo this: Any estimated time for when this work might be done? "Planned" means little.

Have great need for this right now.. it had not dawned on me that this would not be possible....

There is so much potential for Planner... please step it up :)
        Im fighting with my manager who keeps pushing Trello.

• Noor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

at times when projects comes to an end and still there are few tasks left (non-critical), we can move those tasks for later-on general planner and decommission the project one, this clears up the planners we have to go through and give us more time to focus on what we want to do

• TracyF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any estimated time for when this work might be done? "Planned" means little.

Excellent idea would cut time time spent creating a plan providing a more streamlined UI.

• Robert Taub commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm another possible user for Planner, but not having the feature to copy a bucket to another planner is a deal breaker. When will this be implemented in Planner? Without knowing, I will have to use another application like Trello.

Must be able to copy tasks between plans, but the real key would be the ability to create plan templates for repeating processes/jobs. The ability to quickly spin up a new plan based on template, then just assign resources as needed would make this almost perfect.

• Aguasulis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is the ETA on this since it is "Planned"? A time-frame would be most helpful to those of us who are waiting with bated breath for this feature.

• Mike D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've commented on this numerous times already. Many people have echoed this sentiment -- if this feature were finally delivered, I could fully endorse recommending this to management. There is so much potential to Planner, but not having this feature is a deal breaker.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 19 20

Feedback and Knowledge Base