How can we improve Planner?

Allow Tasks to be moved between Plans/Boards.

Currently you can only move Tasks to different Buckets within a Plan/Board. It would be very useful to be able to also copy or move them to different Plans/Boards that you are a member of.

2,988 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Antony shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Planned  ·  AdminPlanner Team (Admin, Planner) responded  · 

Thank you for the feedback! We have added this feature to our roadmap and are currently figuring out how to create the best experience around this. As we work on this, we’d love to hear more about your specific scenarios for moving tasks between plans, and what information from a task you would like to move over.

As a first step, we started developing the ability to copy a task within a plan. This thread can provide an update on that feature: https://planner.uservoice.com/forums/330525-microsoft-planner-feedback-forum/suggestions/14914122-copy-a-task

We have also noted that some comments are interested in the same functionality for moving buckets between plans – we will keep this in mind and address this after we complete copying a task between plans.

Thanks!

320 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just adding another voice to moving Tasks between plans or Buckets between plans. I have lots of applications for this. I have a Plan that is a Weekly Planner. In Trello, I easily aggregated Tasks from other plans into the Weekly Planner and dragged them among days and ordered them. I also have some Ideas/Future Plans with Tasks that I activate when they become parts of active projects. Tasks in a private Plan also get moved into other Shared Plans.

Basically looking for the concept of a backlog in Planner...so a possible approach is to have one Board dedicated to "Backlog" items and another board for the active sprint where column represent "To Do", "In Progress" and "Done" through the course of the sprint.

I see I can copy a task in the planner but alas can not figure out how to paste it.

• Joseph DiNoto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to copy tasks between boards is something that would make my workflow easier.
        Additionally, having the ability to copy a task within a plan would be useful. Finally, copying an entire plan itself would be very useful in cases where the process is mostly the same up to a few small differences and of course an entirely different team of individuals. Thank you.

• Mike D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The copy task is a great addition. I hope moving between boards gets added soon, I can't recommend Planner to management just yet.

• Pablo Picaso commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We'd like to have one plan for Planning (prioritizing backlog) using buckets for different priorities, then be able to move the items being worked on week by week to a plan for that week.

• Alex H. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a Management Team to develop training plans that are not ready to roll out to the Department Team site.

When the plan is ready,vetted, and approved, THEN we want to copy it and move it all to our entire deparment. Make this happen soon please!

• Garth Egbert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we are building a "team" and would really like to add an existing planner to that team, which does not seem to be possible.
        if we could migrate tasks/buckets from one planner to anonther, it would be an acceptable work around. first choice would be to a connect an existing planner to a channel in a team.

• Mike Jordan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to move buckets (and their tasks) to other plans. Our current use case is we need an 'Archive' plan. We have a plan where each bucket represents an assessment project. Once that assessment is done, we need to move it to the Archive plan. We'd like an Archive Plan for each year for auditability.

This is absolutely essential because we have 90 assessments (buckets) per year (plan).

I lieu of being able to move items between plans, how about a simple copy and paste so we could move it that way in the interim...

Any news on this please. I see we cna no copy tassk but the ability to move them from plan to plan would be great

• Graeme commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

any news on this one? It's been planned for a while now and be good to know if it's on the way soon or a long way off as may dictate whether we use a different tool.

• Ben Walker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this. Lots of of potential but not useful for larger, or mixed, or cross functional teams without this feature

• Brannon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, this and to move an entire plan between teams would be even better.

• Mike D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot move forward recommending this app without at least this feature being in place. Copy tasks is a great start, but Planner is not close to being a "Trello killer" yet

Need ability to move a bucket from one plan to the other. We have plans based on the type and priority of the effort, then each project is a bucket. As projects are completed or just placed on hold due to priority changes, we want to move them out of that plan and into a "completed" or "pending/on hold" plan so they don't clutter up task lists etc.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is the ability to copy and move tasks to different plans any closer? The amount of manual re-entry needed when reorganization decisions are made is extremely time consuming and seemingly unnecessary, considering other programs we have used in the past have this option.

• Eric Richter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You asked for more specific scenarios for moving tasks between plans. I currently use Trello, so I'll use that as a reference. I collect tasks on one board and organize them into lists, each with dozens and dozens of tasks. Only I see this board, at this stage there is no value in my team seeing it. Inside this board, I move tasks from list to list as I investigate and evaluate them. Some are discarded, others resolved, and others need to be delegated and/or become part of a larger project. At this point, I move the task to another board where others have visibility and it can begin to move through a workflow. Sometimes, after it goes through a workflow on one board, it needs to go to yet another board. I've tried combining all these lists and functions on one board using categories, sorting, and filtering, but it just becomes too overwhelming for people to use, so they don't. It is vital that ALL information from a task be moved - no information should be lost - comments, attachments, lists, user assignments - it all must move. It truly needs to be a move function, not a copy, and not a partial move. Simply drag the task from one board to another.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16

Feedback and Knowledge Base