Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Planner?

Allow re-ordering of tasks and items in checklists

Drag and drop or some other method of changing order of tasks and items in checklists

I like to think tasks higher in a list need to be done first, Planner doesn't have any method for prioritizing so at least let us manually move things around so they make sense, more generally allow tasks to be linked so we can optionally make some tasks dependent on other tasks, that order can be displayed either as an ordered list or better if the dependencies were visually apparent using some other means.

155 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

35 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kees Vos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It works again!! The position of items can be moved again through the checklists! Thanks!

• Dennis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Edge browser also works for reordering Checklist items but not Chrome which is what our company and Clients use.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll add my two cents... I'm also upset that I cannot now re-order checklists items and baffled as to why this ability would be removed.

• Paul Witschey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft. What is going on with this. Our team spent several months transitioning to Planner. We made the decision based on the fact that we were able to reorder check list items. A week after we fully transitioned, you turn that feature off and you break our ability to properly track our work (as the sequence of those activities determines (for us) the order in which they need to be carried out). Please, turn this back on, or we may have to reconsider our use of Planner.

• Michael Newman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does Microsoft actually know this is a problem or are we just using this post to flame them unbeknownst to them?

• Yv McL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I thought there was something wrong on my Mac. In work I've came onto PC and realised it's the same then found this thread. This is literally a thing that would make me stop using it - which is a real shame as I thought I had finally found the solution to all my problems in task management software. PLEASE BRING THIS BACK, yours truly, weeping inside.

• Leon Berry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is crackers! Why on earth would you remove the ability to re-order a checklist?

..... yeah, no idea why this regression / step back was made.. Makes the complex art of project management, that little more complicated.. Ugh

Microsoft - you should reinstate ability to re-order checklist items. What are you thinking??

• Colin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please restore ability to reorder checklist items inside Planner tasks. This applies to Planner within the Teams app and to Planner on the web.

Please bring back the ability to reorder items in a checklists. At this point, I am contemplating moving to Trello as Planner is no longer useful without this feature.

This is a bad regression (removal of re-ordering, December 2018).

Of course the order should be editable! A checklist is a list -- in the right order for doing the tasks.
        By removing the ability to correct that order, you have made it almost useless.

I AM using checklists already: I trusted you: I have checklists with my data in them, right now, that I need to use today. By removing this feature that affects my data with no notice, I am not happy today, and you have done harm to your trustworthiness in the long term.
        :-(

Please re-instate re-ordering!

• Michael Getter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What just happened? I was able to reorder items inside the Planner's task checklist just recently. Went back in and its gone. That makes no sense! That function is critical in the utility of the list.

• Antal Derene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a problem for our users also. Very curious to know why this suddenly doesn't work anymore.

Another very unhappy user that misses the ability to drag items in my checklists around to re-order. I use this tool extensively for work and sometimes the order of importance or even chronological order for checking off items changes and I need to update. Please return this functionality or provide another means of ordering the tasks (add an ordinal attribute?)!

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just tried to reorder my tasks in the checklist like I used to do. Please bring it back!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base