Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Planner?

Create task by sending an email to the Plan

Currently, when a task is created in a "Plan" there is an associated group and group email address for that "Plan". If a user was to comment on a task, an email is sent to the group. Likewise if the recipient of that email replies to it, the comment appears in the task. Would it be possible to Send a new email to the "Plan" email address to create a task with the subject line of that email being the task name and the email's content being the description?

964 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Joseph M. Honea shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Scheduled  ·  AdminPlanner Team (Admin, Planner) responded  · 

We’re in the process of finalizing designs for a Planner add-in for Outlook. From the add-in, users will be able to create tasks for Planner without having to leave their inbox. The email subject and body will autofill as the task title and description, respectively, and users will have the ability to set plan, bucket and assignees . We appreciate your feedback and patience and look forward to this first step in what we hope to be a greater integration with Outlook!

64 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates since May? THis is a must-have if you want Planner to be used more

• Yihua Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Planner Team, would you have an update on the Planner Add-In for Outlook? Thank you.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a real 'must' - and would be great to be able to email direct to a plan, or to tag so that it automatically goes to the right plan with the right labels (as per Nozbe current approach).

What is the ETA of this feature?

• Eva commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also prefer an e-mail address to be able so e-mail a task straight away to planner and not having to find the e-mail I just sent again and then use an outlook action!

• Joakim Wasseng commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With an e-mail address for the plan you would be able automate task creation with allot more tools than say Outlook. So a Outlook plug-in will not really solve this request. You then could automate task creation from support tools like Jira, Freshdesk and so on...IFTTT, Flow

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can not wait for this feature!! will we get a notification once the add-in is available?

• Mark Zilner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been waiting to this too. I've tried all of the apps. One that works well and that is integrated with outlook is tasksinabox its like planner, trello and Asana with great email integration. You can create a specific email address for a task or better yet send an email over and it creates a task. It also let's you send several emails to the same task. The feature I love the best is you can go to the task and respond directly to the original email sender. Their phone app works ok but could be better. That is the best I have found this far. For planer there is a third party app you can buy that does some of these features but not all of them.

• Alex B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Shocked this hasn’t been done or commented on since 2016...ive been since trello all this time and trying to move fully to enterprise o365...cant without this feature and the flow solution is not useful without additional fields for dynamic data...like the email body as a description and attachments on the task... the integration from outlook task to planner task implies planner may not become as robust as trello...unfortunate but at a minimum a response to that effect might be appropriate from Microsoft

• Ernesto Palestino commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am moving from Trello in an effort to stay with Microsoft solutions integration.
        One nice thing about Trello is that it creates an email address for the "Board" - Then I can just add that to my Contacts in Outlook, rename it with the name of the "Board" and then create a List called emails. Trello lets you specify to what list emails should got to.

Note. Board=Plan and List=Bucket

When I get any email related to that Board, in my case, quotes, invoice or emails from people not in my group, I forward that email to the emails List and from there I can move it to any list.

Pretty nice but why Planner does not have it? Beyond me. Come on Microsoft, you can do it!

• Aguasulis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@websolprov - Flow works but it is extremely limited. It only allows for a subject line when the Task content is in the body!

• Inez Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The current Flow of 365 email to a planner task only allows a subject line. Content from the email as the description is a minimum so I can come back to it later in the day & add all the details

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base