Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Oscar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm a PMP and Agile certified Portfolio Manager and I've been trying to build a managing structure and methodology with Microsoft Office for some time. My goal? Cheapest portfolio and project management framework and methodology. Office already comes with a bunch of tools, I want to make sure I use them to their full potential.

I've searched for ways to integrate hibrid projects into Office 365 but I've not found any out-of-the-box way to do it so here are my suggestions.

Here is what I thought of by using Sharepoint and Planner only.
        Out-of-scope: MS Project, too expensive.

- Epics/User Stories - They reflect SCOPE. They need to be managed by Product Owners/Scrum Masters and also Project Managers for reporting and scope tracking.

- Activities and Tasks - They need to be managed by the Scrum Team and the Scrum Master to assure team velocity.

1) Epics and User Stories (Product Backlog) could be tracked in Sharepoint (Project Site) as a custom list where the P.O can detail the User Story. These Stories can each be approved by appropriate stakeholders to assure the user story is ready to go and aligned with business need (PMI/Agile Requirement).

2) Note that I wrote CUSTOM LIST, not TASK LIST, in item (1) above. As of now I don't see the product backlog list as a tasklist because we won't have target dates for many of the user stories until we come to their priority. I see (1) as a tool specific for SCOPE MANAGEMENT (PMBok 5.0 SCOPE MANAGEMENT PROCESS). I could associate it to the WBS Dictionary.

3) This Product Backlog could sync with a Planner Column, preferably with a specific Planner Card to ease Scrum Team work. They don't need access to sharepoint, they only need access to Planner! I see this as a security requirement because often I've seen third party development teams working with companies and we don't want them having access to our Sharepoint. Having access to a specific Planner project, however, is okay.

3.1) When updated in Planner/Sharepoint, the respective sharepoin task or planner cardis updated and vice versa.

4) Planner could have the ability to link cards to a specific different card. Example. In a planning session it is expected to break Product Backlog items into tasks which may or may not fit into a Sprint. Problem with Trello, Asana and other tools is that you lose that link once you create a new card. As PMI wrote in process 5.0 SCOPE MANAGEMENT, we need a tracebaility of requirements to assure that we are delivering what is expected. This has been a major issue for me and many other project managers I've spoken to. Keeping an excel sheet for this is just not practical.

Bonus features:
        - Cards could have complexity points to measure team speed.
        - Sum of dates of cards linked to an epic would lead to a estimated date for Epic/User Story completion on Sharepoint
        - Planner card linking could display Epic % completion

This method aims at:
        - Keeping Product Owners and Project Managers at Sharepoint.
        - Allowing Project Managers to include sprints as tasks in a Task List while including other tasks that are not related to any agile methodology (Hibrid Project Management)
        - Scrum Masters could navigate between Sharepoint and Planner, but only when required to dwell into activity/task items of Planner.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

one task list to rule them all is what is very much needed. Finding all tasks in one place - from sharepoint lists, onenote, outlook etc. would save soooo much time.

• DN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are so many ways to integrate email, task, note and meeting information in O365 and 2016 tools. Everyone of them, however, is glaringly missing a key capability. There is no clear solution, if any, as every method requires an extensive workaround, which destroys the benefits. It's like the strategy is "we'll give you three out of five and see if you can make do with that."

Integrating the planner with sharepoint task list and gantt chart would prevent the requirement for finding management solution elsewhere. Until then its unusable, there are more integrated planning and online email solutions available.

Planner needs to be integrated to share point, makes no sense at all to have them a part.
        Is there a way to do it?

• Jonas Sonberger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Three things would make PLANNER the ultimate cooperation tool for our organization. One - easy integration to Sharepoint so that you could add new tasks to the Planner-board directly from your project site in Sharepoint. And vice-versa - add to Planner board and get it visible in Sharepoint task list.

Two - ability to show tasks in a listview instead of boxes - more like Jira/trello works today.
        Three - ability to add features like "priority" to a planner card.

• Andrea commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There needs to be a dashboard page that integrates all of the apps (SP, Planner, etc) and shows a general overview of each project. It's hard to convince people that it's efficient to use when they have to click into 3 or 4 different apps and piece a project status together.

• Jon Fox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This makes so much sense to be able to integrate SharePoint and Planner as tools and to aid migration of existing plans from SharePoint into Planner

Would like to have one single dashboard that has planner data (tasks) and sharepoint lists in it. PLease integrate this

• Guilherme Mercante commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use SharePoint as the main Operation Review tool, the idea of Microsoft Planner it's nice, but we really need to integrate it with SharePoint. We want to focus the Action List in the Planner but also using the SharePoint as the Agenda.

• Meghan Kemp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This integration not being made actually might STOP the client I am working from using MS Teams. Since I actually 'sold' the business on the MS Teams functionality, it is another glaring failure from MS to NOT have this easily accessible. How many votes and comments do we need to gather before MS wakes up and actually provides this NECESSARY functionality?

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very urgent! we need the integration to update task details from planner into sharepoint lists. I could do the creation of tasks from sharepoint lists, but I can't update task details back into sharepoint list.

• Simon Tocker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Of course any task list integration must not forget the task list integration to outlook, cant have one type allowed and another not.

• Simon Tocker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me its not just about integration, I have a plan that gets created from a list (flow), had this list been a task list and "promoted" into planner, then Planner is just the interface into this, I could extend the content type to include more fields that are relevant to the task, Then having an open SP dialog to the item (in addition to the quick open of the default content type fields) direct in planner allows for viewing or editing of the list item direct from planner. That's integration.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base