Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Planner?

Add new progress descriptions

The progress descriptions are too simple. You should be able to create new ones, like planning, design, testing etc.

256 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Paul Dyson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

29 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dennis (Oresund) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently I'm using Buckets instead for providing my customized progress flow.
        This however breaks the idea of using buckets to collect different tasks in "User Stories".

So I can choose between:
        - working in a leveled structure but wo a proper task progress driving state or
        - working with a task good progress driving state but with unstructured tasks :/

If you fix this, Planner stands a much better chance to be a Trello-killer.

• Ali commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be great to be able to add an extra progress column e.g. "On-hold" and able to hide completed column.

• Siri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love to have a setting in Planner where I could change these globally or per plan.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An absolute must to be used as efficent agile tool.
        potential to be a trello replacement

• Patrick Boers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are successfully using the planner a sales funnel progress tracker. User defined progress descriptions would be very helpfull.

• Dave B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would really like the ability to customize these. I agree with the backlog, planned, on hold, idle, etc status but just making it a freeform custom field at the planner group/board level would be extremely helpful

• Steven Blocker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My development team would use the product except there is no ability to add an, "In QA" bucket. This is the only reason we are using Jira instead of planner.

• Randy Drisgill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At the very lease I would suggest adding some more Progress choices like Backlog, Planned, Blocked, Review

• Brian Pratt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Isn't this sort of what the "buckets" / lanes are for, in the first place? For tracking the various "states" of a Task? Why use the progress field, when Buckets work much better?

Adding custom progress labels would be great because then you could sort the "My Tasks" by progress with more detail. Right now it puts all of my work into 3 columns which isn't very descriptive.

• Michael Venman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Something like like a "Waiting on Approval" Step would be really terrific, as right now I'm unable to see which steps are hung up on another team's approval.

• RIchard Tawn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of customisation or granularity to the task stages is a key reason for seeking out an alternative task planner.

I think this was built for much smaller projects, but it has the foundations to be really competitive in software development.

We use: Concept | Brief | Prototype | Dev | Alpha | QA | Release

AKA: Pipeline | Explore | Version 1 | Version 2 | Feature Cplte. | Testing | Launch

Basically every team works a little differently but all would like to put a task in several stages of development to understand how much effort to be putting in at each stage.

I agree, I'd like more granularity to progress categories and the ability to hide/exclude those categories on the charts

• Chris Shalda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are having trouble with adoption of Planner in our organization because of not having the ability to add additional progress descriptions. One of the major issues with Planner is that when you "complete" a task, it is gone from the main view, like it was never there - but many of our teams need to review completed tasks before they are truly "completed". So, if we could have another progress description of "ready for review", just prior to "completed", that would be huge. Would also like to have custom progress descriptions per plan if possible as well, for additional use cases.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base