How can we make Planner better?

Option to create custom fields for tasks

How it works: In the planner settings, you can create and customize the field and then select which projects it will be available, including the "all projects" option. Each task created now will have the new custom fields avaliable inside the card.

3,082 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Rubens do Carmo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Tell us more  ·  AdminPlanner Team (Product Manager, Planner) responded  · 

Thank you for your votes and feedback!

We’re looking to understand more about this ask, specifically:
How many custom fields would you use?
What kind of fields would they consist of?
Which (or how many) Plans would you add the same custom fields to?
And any other information about how custom fields would work within your current Planner workflow!

-The Planner Team

367 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same extensibility as with Sharepoint list would be cool. I can be even stored in sharepoint list?

I'd like to be able to add fields like:
    -> Cost of a task (Small/Medium/Large or numerical value like man.days)
    -> Business value of a task (scrum-style)
    In different plans I track invoices, I'd like numerical fields

Add I'd need all that in the great "export to excel" new feature as well

• Dan Medeiros commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Darine's comments. We have a Sharepoint list which holds all of our project information. It would be nice to have a WorkFlow that could tie the planner information to the Sharepoint list. So that when information is entered in a task for a project it doesn't have to be entered again on Sharepoint. i.e. Project number, title, consultant, location, etc.

• Darine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We recommend adding an option for add custom fields the same as SharePoint fields. and would be better if these fields can be per project, to have the same concept as SharePoint content types.

• Toni Evans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even just a few text fields would make this usable for me. I need to add a project ID # so that I can link it to several other homegrown systems that I have to update and report on. The only good source of truth is the project ID.

Start simple, just add the ability to create new same Text fields, limit it to 5-10 if you need to.
    Over time you could add more Field Types and volume.
    All the mainstream Kanban Apps allow for custom fields and renaming, it's the main issue stopping me from fully embracing MS Planner instead of Trello and SmartSheets for simple Team planning

• Amanda Reid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like the custom field to contain hours - How many hours allocated, and actual hours to complete. I would like 4 custom fields and the ability to apply the custom fields to all planner tasks globally

• I. Kramer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition to the comments below being able to add the following types of custom fields as a start would be of benefit:
    - Percent complete for the task at a min, at the checklist item level would be very useful
    - Est hours for the task at a min, at the checklist item level would be very useful

• Charles Teel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with customization based on SharePoint Lists. @Rolly Perreaux has it

Number of custom fields:
    I would make this relatively high/flexible. Very similar to SharePoint/CRM/etc.

Kind of Fields/Examples:
    Business Unit/Group (Sales/Marketing/Finance/etc)
    Custom Statuses (We currently use buckets/Kanban Style)
    Dates: Test Complete, Review Complete, etc. Anything really
    Custom Labels/Tags - Lower really for me. 6 Labels are nice, custom labels are better, custom fields seem most useful

These could be drop downs, check boxes, text, numeric, etc. Your typical input types.

Number of Plans/Applying across plans:

- These could be added to the template option that is being discussed.
    - Apply across plans would be excellent but just having them would help.
    - In my mind, duplicating the work is preferable to not having it at all.

Additional Items of how these could work:
    - Filtering/Grouping on these custom fields
    - Could work as in SharePoint Lists/Dynamics CRM/etc.
    - Jira has some decent options in terms of how this works, though possibly over complex.
    - Ideally this would allow full addition/customization of "custom" fields
    - Ideally this would allow some customization of built-in fields (status values, etc)

• Jamie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

- need a "requestor" field
    - need custom statuses, such as "stalled", "awaiting response", or "rejected"

buckets and labels may be able to handle some of this, but limits other uses of those features.

• Rick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love to be able to setup custom fields and use Flow to send data to them. Without this option, Planner doesn't work for our team.

• Joy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Rolly. We are building a team task management system for 30+ teams because Planner can’t be customized. Planner looks like a great system, but we need to be able to interact with the data through SP, Flows, Power apps and Power BI.

• Stephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with the "sharepoint" like customization. You have enough info... now get cracking.. this is important if you want to know Trello out of the park!! :)

• Jace Copier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very Much needed

- On average, 8 custom fields for the critical projects (could vary for teams)
    - Custom fields should be similar to custom fields in a SharePoint List
    + Single line of text
    + multiple lines
    + Choice field
    + Numbers
    + URL's
    - There should be two types of custom fields
    1. Global Custom fields: these fields can be created by an admin to be re-used across teams
    2. Local Custom fields: these fields would only be visible within the team

The custom fields would help create a more structured approach ensuring entry for important points of data is consistent. As of now, the only option is to paste all custom information in the description field, greatly increasing the risk of inconsistent data entry.

Custom fields should also be discoverable in tools like flow, so that workflows could update these custom fields based on some condition within the flow. There should also be some control in filter/grouping these custom fields within Planner.

Allowing additional fields will enable companies to tailor the task board to their specific needs.

• Kristi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to add fields such as a URL to link someone to a site or item associated with the task. Having an additional category field to be able to categorize the tasks outside of the labels and buckets. The ability to change the status columns to mimic the KanBan menthods (Backlog, In Progress, Peer Review, In Test, In Staging, Done, Blocked). A contact field may be useful as well to allow the user to know who they should contact (multiple sometimes) regarding the project, but not needing to technically assign that person to the task.

I would use this function to show the PDCA cycle that is typical in almost any manufacturing firm above a certain size. Right now we are trying to mimic this by using P D C and A buckets but that is not the right solution in my opinion.

Should be similar to custom fields on sharepoint. The ability to add choices, users, numbers, etc..

• Kristena Tunstall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Custom Fields to include would be:
    1. drop down list
    2. the ability to self title a text area - that's not a comment, but part of the task, yet needs it's own area
    3. Checkboxes - not a task list, but something that would be able to be created as either part of a template or can easily be copied and pasted into a new task, that depending on the task to be done gets checked. So for example, if you're using the Planner to help with scheduling for an executive, and you have two kinds of options that are always included: how long the call/meeting should be and what type of meeitng (i.e., call, in-person @our location, in-person @their location, in-person for meal, etc.). Then when entering info, you simply check the boxes that fit.
    4. Priority levels - yes the colored "labels" can technically be used, but those are more to label what kind of task it is and things like that, rather than priority level. Priority level would be more like a dropdown list to choose from, which would then affect the task being entered.
    Those are just the ones from the top of my head.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19

Feedback and Knowledge Base