How can we make Planner better?

Task Templates

Allow the creation of "Task Templates", which have a default set of properties (due one week from today, checklist items, assignment, etc.)

3,117 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Tell us more  ·  AdminPlanner Team (Product Manager, Planner) responded  · 

Thank you for your feedback!

In addition to delivering the ability to copy tasks (within and across plans), we’re now working on a feature to copy an entire plan. You can find updates and discussion for that topic here: https://planner.uservoice.com/forums/330525/suggestions/14744172

Regarding task templates in particular, we’d love to hear more about what you have in mind. If there’s a particular use or scenario in which you would find a task template handy – let us know below!

Cheers,
The Planner Team

170 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Trond Erik Bones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are using forms and flow to collect potential changes from the business. When a new task is added (via Flow) i would like the ability to use a "task template" with pre-filled checklist items.

• Gary Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are using Microsoft Flow to automatically create new Tasks under particular buckets and would like to be able to also create the checklists within the task newly created. Each time a task is created, the Flow logic determines under which bucket the Task will be created and would also create a predetermined checklist following a standard template. I suppose the ability to mark a default task (special type) as a "template" would work fine if Microsoft Flow could copy that "template" creating a new Task from it. The goal is to automate as much as possible reducing user time setting up new Tasks.

• Ken Sudo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to manage PC order in IT Dept.

Bucket1: Request Quotation
    Required item: Applicant
    Model/Specification
    Quantity
    Required Delivery Date

Bucket2: Recieve Quotation
      Required item: Model
    Price
    Quotation (Attach PDF)

Bucket3: Order
    Required item: Order No
    Purchase Application Form (Attach PDF)

At each bucket, need required input box .
    Or want to describe Titles need to input.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be great to have a option to create template plans with relative due dates (i.e. last working of a month, 2nd working day of a month)
    This function could be used i.e. for financial month end closing tasks which has the same tasks every month
    Of course the metadata should be kept in such tasks (assigned to, etc.)

• Toni Schmidt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are using plans for large projects, but we also have very small projects that do not warrant their own plan. We use a plan to keep those small projects in, and just label the type of project in the buckets. So for example, we have a 'Webinar Projects' bucket, and a 'Miscellaneous Projects' bucket. Our webinar projects always have the same checklist items... like 1) create webinar content, 2) schedule webinar with Jane, 3) send out invitations, and 4) give live webinar.

I guess I can use the copy feature for now, but it would be nice just to have a template to keep one master current checklist that people could use to create new tasks.

• Colin A. Campbell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like the ability to save my own templates, similar to To-Doist. https://get.todoist.help/hc/en-us/articles/208821185-Importing-Exporting-Project-Templates

Some examples: legal contract review. E.g. we have at least two buckets, an "Intake" bucket and a "Preliminary review" bucket. To move from the Intake bucket, to the preliminary review bucket, we have to gather all of the relevant documents, which consists of: 1) contract proposal form; and 2) contract. Once those materials are gathered and saved to the file, then the card gets move to the "preliminary review" bucket etc.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have some tasks that are repeated on a periodic basis (not necessarily at neat intervals like weekly or monthly) that involve lengthy checklists. Would be super useful to have ability to duplicate these or generate from a template rather than having to manually type in all checklist items each time.

• Jurjen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have new employee on-boarding, recurring webinars and other activities that have standard tasks, so a template would be very nice. Important is that individual tasks within the templates have deadlines set automatically based on time they take. For example it the template starts on May 1, than sending a specific document should have a deadline automatically on May 5 etc.

• Klaus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At the moment the only way is to copy an already existing Task to have the same checklist the same description, etc.
    After copying I have to delete the Tasks Name.
    With a template and an easy way of choosing it (not 5 clicks) it would be much more convinient

I am looking for a template for the check list. For instance a testing task would always have the same check list, from creating the script to performing the test.

• Andy Bryant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A task template for me is just a pre-populated task for something that happens regularly - and has some of the fields predefined (for instance a checklist of subtasks to add each time)

• Dave G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like to be able to copy a task to a completely different company (domain). A template wold work for this, I imagine. Consultants would want this, I'm sure.

• Sebastian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For recurring tasks it would be very beneficial if we could have template tasks incl. the integrated checklists. E.g. when you have a standardized new joiner or leaver process you would like to have the corresponding action items listed in a the checklist for each user account that goes through this process.

I'd like to implement a flow, using outlook & planner for on-boarding new employees and having standard checklists on a planner task template would be helpful with making sure we are consistent in our process and eliminate re-work/mistakes.

• Lisa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My team wants to use a task template, because each time a quote to the customer is started, we follow a "standard" process. We are using a special developed system now, but I would love to integrate in Planner - which then makes it at our fingertips in O365. There is a specific flow, but we also go through and check on and off which people we need information from on each individual quote. But the overall flow is the same each time. Think of a wedding or Christmas party - you are always going to do some of the same steps in some of the same order....pick a venue, pick a date, find a caterer, select invites,...…..

• Anna Nenasheva commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Paper planners give you a visual, in your hand, space for writing down notes, creating to-do lists, and noting ideas while you’re on the fly. Writing down things is the age-old way to get things done. So, use https://onplanners.com/planners/best-weekly-planners-and-agendas

Every Sunday evening, I like to sit down with my planner and look over the week ahead. This is a chance to plan for your more general of tasks, or group of tasks. For example, for me it may be “Schedule Facebook posts”, or “write webinar follow up emails”.

• Sergio Hernandez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The idea of having a Task template is creating the task with pre-filled information in all fields, including the description and the checklist, so the creator can include easily all (and only) the information that the assignee will need, removing the possibility to include useless information or on the other side missing important details.
    We would really like a lot to get this implemented.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base