Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Planner?

Task Templates

Allow the creation of "Task Templates", which have a default set of properties (due one week from today, checklist items, assignment, etc.)

2,795 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Tell us more  ·  AdminPlanner Team (Admin, Planner) responded  · 

Thank you for your feedback!

In addition to delivering the ability to copy tasks (within and across plans), we’re now working on a feature to copy an entire plan. You can find updates and discussion for that topic here: https://planner.uservoice.com/forums/330525/suggestions/14744172

Regarding task templates in particular, we’d love to hear more about what you have in mind. If there’s a particular use or scenario in which you would find a task template handy – let us know below!

Cheers,
    The Planner Team

152 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sergio Hernandez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The idea of having a Task template is creating the task with pre-filled information in all fields, including the description and the checklist, so the creator can include easily all (and only) the information that the assignee will need, removing the possibility to include useless information or on the other side missing important details.
        We would really like a lot to get this implemented.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, we want to be able to copy a full bucket full of tasks from one case to another without having to do each one individually. You really should add this feature please!!

• Courtney Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need this ability as a way to handle work requests. We have a Microsoft form that is using Microsoft Flow to create a Planner task. I need the task to have the same checklist for certain types of requests and be able to assign that template to the task using Flow.

it would be very helpful to be able to copy over the entire plan rather than tasks alone. This way users can create tasks that recurs

Basically have the ability to add extra fields to the task forms. Say a "Division" and "department" "channel" etc.. for teams that work for multiple teams, so you are able to track and report on how much you are doing for each customer.

• Trace Symonds commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One task of my team is to develop eLearning courses - it's the same set of buckets and tasks regardless of what I'm developing. It all follows a process complimented by tasks. Being able to create one bundle of tasks, save it to a template and then be able to apply that template to a new Planner tab across my team and even across teams would be super helpful. I am having to recreate each plan, which makes me miss Smartsheet and other PM tools.

What is the status on this?

I have Tasks that each time I create one must have the exact same list of checklist items.

I want to have a template Task that already includes this list of items.

It's critical to my workflow that each task card have the same list of checklist items, although I may need to add a few extra to a card if something changes with that task.

• Cindy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to copy a template bucket. For example, we have a group/plan for Finance & Accounting. I would like a bucket for our month-end checklist of processes and be able to copy that checklist to a new bucket with everything unchecked for the next month. There's no need for a whole new plan, but only copying one task at a time is too much because there are about 75 tasks every month.

What is the status on this?

I have Tasks that each time I create one must have the exact same list of checklist items.

I want to insert all of these checklist items at once OR have a template Task that already includes this list of items.

It's critical to my workflow that each task card have the same list of checklist items, although I may need to add a few extra to a card if something changes with that task.

• Mario H. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about Task template where you can set different fields on diferent types of tasks. I would like to have a type of task that has Acceptance Criteria and stuff related to Agile Development

• Frederic Forest commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Reason for having this: supporting basic Scrum methodology.

In Scrum, you tend to have specific story types like « building a report ». These story types share a common « ready list » (stuff to make sure we have before starting work) and « done list » (stuff to make sure the item is done to the expected quality level). Maintainning good story types is half the battle in a good Scrum implementation.

I started to use Planner to detailed a timetable overview of month end close process in finance accounting. It would be great to be able to duplicate plan!

• Alex H. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a Team for our department. Within that Team, we created a "New Employee Training" channel. We then added tabs for each employee. Our goal was to use Planner to draft training plans for our each new employee. After drafting a complete and detailed plan with tasks and sub-tasks; which took about 4 hours, we realized we could not just copy that same plan to another tab. I cannot understand why you can copy a plan to another channel but not a separate tab within that same channel. We had two employees begin on the same day under two separate supervisors and had to create two identical plans all over again. What a waste of time!

A task template would be very useful for plans that require a default checklist for tasks (ex. one of our projects uses Jira and the only thing that they are using on Jira that can't be done here is a template that includes a simple checklist)

Please? Many jobs are very similar with only different time frames and labor. This is very much needed!!!

I would create a different task templates for each type of task I need to plan, in the future each having it's own custom fields that must filled in, or in the current version each with a unique checklist or description with prompts for each task type.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base