Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Planner?

Task Templates

Allow the creation of "Task Templates", which have a default set of properties (due one week from today, checklist items, assignment, etc.)

2,558 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Tell us more  ·  AdminPlanner Team (Admin, Planner) responded  · 

Thank you for your feedback!

In addition to delivering the ability to copy tasks (within and across plans), we’re now working on a feature to copy an entire plan. You can find updates and discussion for that topic here: https://planner.uservoice.com/forums/330525/suggestions/14744172

Regarding task templates in particular, we’d love to hear more about what you have in mind. If there’s a particular use or scenario in which you would find a task template handy – let us know below!

Cheers,
    The Planner Team

140 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Frederic Forest commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Reason for having this: supporting basic Scrum methodology.

In Scrum, you tend to have specific story types like « building a report ». These story types share a common « ready list » (stuff to make sure we have before starting work) and « done list » (stuff to make sure the item is done to the expected quality level). Maintainning good story types is half the battle in a good Scrum implementation.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I started to use Planner to detailed a timetable overview of month end close process in finance accounting. It would be great to be able to duplicate plan!

• Alex H. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a Team for our department. Within that Team, we created a "New Employee Training" channel. We then added tabs for each employee. Our goal was to use Planner to draft training plans for our each new employee. After drafting a complete and detailed plan with tasks and sub-tasks; which took about 4 hours, we realized we could not just copy that same plan to another tab. I cannot understand why you can copy a plan to another channel but not a separate tab within that same channel. We had two employees begin on the same day under two separate supervisors and had to create two identical plans all over again. What a waste of time!

A task template would be very useful for plans that require a default checklist for tasks (ex. one of our projects uses Jira and the only thing that they are using on Jira that can't be done here is a template that includes a simple checklist)

Please? Many jobs are very similar with only different time frames and labor. This is very much needed!!!

I would create a different task templates for each type of task I need to plan, in the future each having it's own custom fields that must filled in, or in the current version each with a unique checklist or description with prompts for each task type.

I created a Master Template Plan that I want to duplicate from project to project.
        Can an entire plan (template) be duplicated?

• Richard E Meyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are considering Planner to organize the many steps in the publication of books. There are many tasks in the process. We need to be able to duplicate a plan and then modify a few things to such as the title and the assigned people. Entering all of the tasks for each project is awful.

• Omaer Khan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you need this now, you can use Microsoft Flow.
        Create a flow with the trigger that a new task was created, and put a condition to check for the name of the template.
        Actions would be to delete that initial task, and then create new tasks with whatever is required.

My company does a number of acquisitions yearly and we have certain tasks that we need to perform for each acquisition. It would be great to be able to use a template for these tasks that we can reuse.

Our company has a standard set of bullet points for each type of tasks we create. It would be great if we could use a task template for different types of tasks, with the corresponding bullet points included on the template, instead of re-creating them every time we create a new task.

• Richard Shubrook commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wanting to use planner in preference to Trello but one key feature we need is the ability to set up a master template that we then duplicate. We use the plan for completing site checks as a compliance function, so without the ability to once click 'duplicate' we would need to manually set up each plan. 90 plus sites worth of duplicating the same content makes it a non-starter without this function.

• Leigh Bedford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

my Company has just started using PLANNER it fits our needs, but it would be easier to manage with templates - we create a plan per customer, each customer setup is almost identical, we can identify what common tasks come from new customers, we can generate a template to create a base level plan

• Ryan Furnell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need user customizable templates with the ability to create them by duplicating existing plans instead of just setting up a new template. A similar use case - most users re-use old powerpoint slides and then tweak them, very few create templates and then execute instances of those templates. I want to user planner but I'm currently using both Asana and Planner because Asana is still ahead of the curve here (in this and Teams generally).

This feature is a must have for Planner. Can you update the status? There are three different threads asking for Planner templates that if combined are more than 7,000 requests for some type of Planner templates.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base