How can we improve Planner?

Task Templates

Allow the creation of "Task Templates", which have a default set of properties (due one week from today, checklist items, assignment, etc.)

2,059 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Thinking about it  ·  AdminPlanner Team (Admin, Planner) responded  · 

Thank you for your feedback! We’ve delivered our first step, which is the ability to copy a task within a board.

We are now exploring options for different template experiences. Here’s the thread to follow along with our conversation on Plan templates: https://planner.uservoice.com/forums/330525-microsoft-planner-feedback-forum/suggestions/11332998-provide-the-ability-to-create-plan-templates-with

Regarding templates for individual tasks, we would love to hear more about specific scenarios you would use this. Any examples or ideas are appreciated!

- The Planner Team

124 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ryan Furnell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need user customizable templates with the ability to create them by duplicating existing plans instead of just setting up a new template. A similar use case - most users re-use old powerpoint slides and then tweak them, very few create templates and then execute instances of those templates. I want to user planner but I'm currently using both Asana and Planner because Asana is still ahead of the curve here (in this and Teams generally).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is a must have for Planner. Can you update the status? There are three different threads asking for Planner templates that if combined are more than 7,000 requests for some type of Planner templates.

Make sure you integrate the template solution into MS Flow. I'm using Flow to notice an email from a particular sender and that triggers a task in Planner. I'd like that task to have a specific checklist and would prefer to automatically create a due date for 3 days later, in an ideal scenario.

If we merge this and the other similar request together, the number of votes puts this at the top of the list by a huge margin.

Isn't this the same as the other feedback: "Provide the ability to create Plan templates with existing tasks that can then be used to create a new plan"?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE set up the ability to duplicate a plan with all the contents (tasks etc) in it, or the ability to create and use a template. We love planner (moved from asana which had this feature) and it is really hard to do since so many of our plans are repetitive in structure. PLEASE?

• Greg Duren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A scenario to think about with your design is a recurring monthly process. For example closing the books each month. We have what we call a "Prespec" which sets up all the steps that need to be completed, by whom, and when (time of day is important here too). So each month we take the template (with tweaks from last months lessons learned) which is currently in Excel and use it as the guide for completion of all of the tasks associated with that month's close. We hang it on a board and manually write in the completion date/time as we go along. There is some complication here in that due dates are based on workdays (not date or weekday) so we have some Excel formulas to setup due dates based on workday # and adjust for any holidays. But the ability to take the list of tasks and carry it forward each month would be a start. So things that we'd want carried over include the task description/name, the person responsible, the people following the task, and the due date which would need some formulas to calc based on workday # (or could carry-forward the workday # it's due then we could manually fill in due date).

• Courtney Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are currently using Planner to keep track of support requests. I'd like to be able to create a template with a checklist for certain types of requests. We use Forms and Flow to capture the requests, then if Flow could apply the certain template based on the the way a certain question is answered, that would be amazing!

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A template that I can copy is a must. Too cumbersome to generate the same plan over and over for multiple repetitive projects.

Would love a template for weekly and monthly tasks! or a way to set a task as a recurring event?

• Ayanna Mackins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is essential for my team! Currently using Planner to objectively track the performance of my classroom assistant and the overall productivity of task management in my classroom. Being able to print a report that clearly lists tasks Not Started, In Progress, and Completed, by Bucket and By Plan would be a game changer.

Thanks so much!

• Jonas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am planning year end close will keep track of all legal documents with planner. I would love to see an easy way to create templates, or at least duplicate tasks.

Yes, please. It would be great to duplicate existing plans or move task boards from one plan to another.

• Aaron Jacobson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The inability to start a project plan from a templated project plan results in 1 hour of resource time to setup a plan in the standardization that our organization requires.

• Aaron Poh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the only function that is stopping us from migrating from Trello! Please include this.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base