Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Planner?

Subtasks

It would be good if we are able to create a subtask to an existing task.

3,858 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Alex shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Tell us more  ·  AdminPlanner Team (Admin, Planner) responded  · 

Thank you for your interest and feedback!

Reading the comments on this thread, they seem to follow two different asks. If you’re suggesting dependency between tasks (ie. task A must be completed before task B), please visit this thread: https://planner.uservoice.com/forums/330525/suggestions/13976094

If you’d like to suggest improvements to our existing checklist functionality, please share more with us in a comment below!

Thanks,

The Planner Team

136 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Where there are several persons working on a task, we would like to allocate checklist items (i.e.sub-tasks) to one person.

Ideally it would be good if tasks could be nested - so that dragging a task into another task - turns it into a sub-task or item on a check list within that task. Dragging a checklist item out of a task would turn it into its own full task.

Could there be 3 levels - tasks, sub-tasks,and sub-sub-tasks - all with tick boxes?

We specifically would like to be able to assign individual checklist items -- I want to have a task card that is either assigned to the person with overall responsibility for the task or no one, then each checklist item is assigned to an individual (ideally each checklist item would have its own due date as well). When individuals look in a roll-up view of their Planner items (e.g. the Teams Planner module "My Tasks" tab) they would see any task card where they have been assigned a checklist item.

• Melissa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The sub tasks need to be able to have different due dates, both from each other and from the overall task itself.

It would be great to be able to assign a sub task or an item from the checklist to another user on the team.

• Dat AU DUONG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Check list is not a task.
        A Task/Sub Task you can assign for some one to do as a dependency.

Example:
        I'm working on a task related to Compter Backup.
        [] My Task would be storage.
        - [] Review Backup Policy (SLA)
        Business Analyst
        - [] Prepare documentation
        Assign to Documentor
        - [] Getting vendor quote for storage
        Assign to account manager

When you have finish the task, check list are more of sanity check or important point you want to remind you about.

• Neil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The simple ability to indent tasks - thus creating sub tasks (A nice adder would be...if all indented tasks are complete, then the parent task is complete. Without promoting out as a separate item.)

• Angela commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great to be able to assign subtasks to different group members ... and with individual due dates and comments would be even better.

• Kirsten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with many comments below:
        Subtasks (checklist items) need to be assigned to individuals.

• Jakub commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to see an ability to have a Kanban board within a Kanban task. Basically an ability to create a parent board where I'd list existing Kanban boards as individual cards.

• Donny Conway commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

agreeing with several already ... this
        Task
        ├Element
        ├Element
        └Task
        ...├Element
        ...├Element
        ...└Element

Where each task can have a different owner and due date and comment tracking at the task level

• Alex C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being a bit smart with URLs in checklist items will go a long was in my opinion:

If the Checklist item is a URL to anothe Planner Task:

1. deference it to show the Task Title instead of a long URL

2. make it clickable

subtasks (checklist items) assigned to individuals. Auto comment in the thread when that individual or others check off an item from the list.
        It is crucial to a lot of projects that a historic timeline be kept for individual issues or tasks. If we could hold a time line feature from the comment section that shows all of the sub tasks or checklist items, it could be exported into a Microsoft project type chart showing when these were created and completed and by whom.

A year ago planner looked promising, now, not so much. Seems that MS has more important things to do than actually deliver a fit for purpose PM solution; MS Project is just too hard basket for most users and Planner is too simple to be truly useful. Oh well, off to a 3rd party solution I go....

Having subtasks is crucial to manage projects, even not so big ones. It is common we break down a project into several smaller pieces and assign them to individuals.

We don't need multiple levels of sub tasks. Just one level is enough. Or alternatively, if we can assign check list to someone and put a due date to it, it would also be suffice.

Hello,

In our use scenario, each task corresponds to a marketing deliverable, e.g. Blog article, and will be assigned to a person responsible for the delivery. So far so good, however to be able to produce it, that person relies on others to produce text, graphics, to review and approve it, and finally make sure it is published. Different people will be assigned to each step, or sub-task, and they are responsible to set a due date as well so that work can be coordinated between the Task members. We have been using the checklist to list these subtasks, the person responsible and their due date estimation. For this system to work better we are missing the following:
        - the possibility to assign someone to a checklist item through the system with notification sent
        - the possibility to add a due date to a checklist item, with notifications
        - the possibility to communicate using "@someone" in the comments field, to direct the communication to a specific person in the group. The notification here should go to that person's Outlook inbox.

Hope this is clear,
        Best
        Ricardo

• Andreas Lefkopoulos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this also is connected to the request on swimlanes (https://planner.uservoice.com/forums/330525-microsoft-planner-feedback-forum/suggestions/19160338-add-horizontal-swim-lanes)

I wish I could be able to have a main Task (a Backlog Item/USer story) and the have several tasks connected to that one. Those tasks I would wish to be able to assign to someone else with their own due date.

To visualize these and track progress in a user friendly way Swimlanes would be highly appreciated.

• Nick Brooks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We want to move from Asana, but Planner currently doesn't come close. For any project/program tracking tool, dependencies and the ability to time manage, delegate sub-tasks is critical.

Any ETA on updates?

• Fabián Pertúz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need this function as soon as possible.

Task
        ├Element
        ├Element
        └Task
        ...├Element
        ...├Element
        ...└Element

• Andy Netzel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Echoing the comments for allowing the assignment of checklist items to both a user and a due date.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base