Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Planner?

Subtasks

It would be good if we are able to create a subtask to an existing task.

3,370 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Alex shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Tell us more  ·  AdminPlanner Team (Admin, Planner) responded  · 

Thank you for your interest and feedback!

Reading the comments on this thread, they seem to follow two different asks. If you’re suggesting dependency between tasks (ie. task A must be completed before task B), please visit this thread: https://planner.uservoice.com/forums/330525/suggestions/13976094

If you’d like to suggest improvements to our existing checklist functionality, please share more with us in a comment below!

Thanks,

The Planner Team

107 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The #1 restriction of Planner for us is that the "checklist items" are not powerful enough for our tasks or (mini) projects. The least they would need would be a "due / milestone date" but perfectly they would be a "task" themselves with start date, end date, independent list of team members, own comments, etc.

• Paul Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm trying to migrate all our Development Trello boards into Teams/Planner, and the inability to have multiple checklists is making it almost impossible for some of our more complex Trello cards.
        Surely this is "bread and butter" functionality?

The BIG thing missing for me here, is the ability to drag a task onto another task, and for this to create a sub task in the target. Using Planner in Kanban board style with a backlog, this would be awesome, noting that I am using Flow to generate a backlog from Flagged emails.

• Tarkan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There might be couple requests in here, but what I would like to see is:
        - Multiple checklists
        - Ability to add due dates to checklist items
        - Ability to assign people to checklist items

• Mandy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think about sub tasks as a way to somehow group different tasks up to a larger scale item. So if we were doing a global network improvement project, and then that particular project had sub tasks, each being a specific location (since each location would have dependencies and location specific tasks).

• Chaz Weber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think multiple checklists would be great (similar to what you can do with Trello). While it may be bad practice to go crazy with checklists, you can organize particular subtasks by function for the card.

• Damian Castillo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it would be better worded if it said "Multiple Checklists". Technically when we create a checklist inside a task, this is in fact a subtask. But what we can't do is have multiple checklists like Trello has.

Multiple checklists are great when you have a task that have different phases. One example could be a task called "Order Acceptance". One checklist can show the task required to get the Acceptance Letter to the customer and another checklist can show tasks related to the process of getting acceptance from the customer such as revisions, feedback, etc.

• Pedro Oliveira commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Planner Team,

I think this idea can't be achieved with the current checklists functionality, since currently checklists are extremely simple.
        I think on a subtask as the current Bucket <-> Task relationship. Basically the 'Parent' Task would have additional associated tasks, that have the same properties an ordinary task (due date, assign to, etc.). So 'Parent' task would be kind of a placeholder for subtasks.
        So the same checklist concept, but with all the extended task principles.

• Richard Natal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Subtask should be able to be in other buckets or even plans (so I can have a macro plan and sub plans each one with their crew.

• Phil Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Checklist needs the following essential enhancements;

Ability to assign to another group member
        Due date (which by implication relates to the due date of the master task)

Subtasks do not necessarily have to be dependencies but they could be.

• Jakub Havel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As for task dependency it would be useful to integrate it to checklists – right now the checklist feature is not that useful without notifications.
        If checklists in tasks would notify workers and get individual deadlines, that'd be awesome, because the task itself would express the task definition and process including deadline (of the whole task) and checklist items would express individual steps. Maybe it would be awesome to add possibility to assign cheklist item to certain person?
        So in the end it would be more than great to transform checklists into sub-tasks with its own people assigned, deadline set and notifications available :).

I'd like to be able to create multiple checklist per each task. There is also a limit to the number of items that could be added to a checklist. :/

• Diego commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another must-have. Assignable SubTasks with their own due dates. Maybe replacing Checklists with Subtasks?

Agreed. The ability to have sub-tasks, that fall under the main task in a bucket, allowing for a) the creation of due dates as well as b) assigning subtasks to users.
        This would be very useful.

• Rosie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would like to:
        - Not have checklists limited to 20 items
        - Not have each checklist item limited to 1 line
        - Be able to have multiple checklists per task

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft did a great job on TFS, just make a little more like that - something that can support Agile user stories with cards under each story. Not checkboxes under each card.

• Danny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sub Tasks need to be full task items with its own assignee and due date that is part of a larger project.

• Alisa Bittner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you add ability to add sub-tasks, make it so you don't have to click on each sub-task title to see the details. I think an expand / compress options would make sense. When viewing a task, click expand to see details for all sub-tasks belonging to that task.

• Samuel Stevenson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm astonished by the request for more information. It seems very clear what is being requested by the users.

The checklist solution is clearly a stall for more time. Embedding a list into a task is not the same as having a true hierarchy of tasks. There are many project management models out there for your team to get ideas from.

Needing more time is fine. But feel free to just tell us that this instead of feigning confusion.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base