Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Planner?

Subtasks

It would be good if we are able to create a subtask to an existing task.

4,212 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Alex shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Tell us more  ·  AdminPlanner Team (Admin, Planner) responded  · 

Thank you for your interest and feedback!

Reading the comments on this thread, they seem to follow two different asks. If you’re suggesting dependency between tasks (ie. task A must be completed before task B), please visit this thread: https://planner.uservoice.com/forums/330525/suggestions/13976094

If you’d like to suggest improvements to our existing checklist functionality, please share more with us in a comment below!

Thanks,

The Planner Team

160 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to be able to break down tasks into component activities and then manage status at component level.

• Jerry Lindblom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An (from my perspective) easy way to add valuable functionality would be to make it possible to have more than one checklist in one card.

• Mitch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ability to match the Agile Project Planning with sub tasks under a main task within a category bucket.

Ensure that each task and sub task is identifiable with a reference number so it can be searched.

Separate start and end dates.
        Apply task and sub task hours to complete
        Assign to different people
        View status not started, in progress and completed. With a summary of sub tasks outstanding etc from within the main task.
        Add testing / QA as a status for development purposes or make it easy to move these into different category buckets.

This would make my life so much easier (and help me end my dalliance withe Trello and Asana)

• Brian Ouderkirk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add the ability to add multiple subtasks to the parent task that can be assigned to other people along with separate due dates.

The ability to assign subtasks to people and due dates for such subtask is a must!

• Reece commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to be able to assign subtasks to different owners with different due dates. Allowing custom fields (similar to SharePoint Task List) for tiles and sub task would also be very useful.

• C Pressley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like the ability to assign certain check box items to other members of the team.
        "Review with @David" as a check box would be an example. It's not his task, but it would put it on his radar that Karen is working on a project that he will need to review by a certain date.

• John Cisek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would great if optionally, a task state can be auto-changed to complete once all items in the checklist are completed (checked).

100%. There will usually be multiple person working on a task and a single or multiple admins that will assign and track the various sub tasks. Currently the only way to do this is to create a new bucket for each task but then there is no total task tracking functionality.

• Peter Kormos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need subtasks, successor and predecessor, assignable, status showing, due date assignable checkboxes, dependency, analysis which tasks were late, who was late where were problems, banner or just a small sign if an unread comment was made or an item of the checklist or a task is done within the task/plan w/o email notification.

• Adriana Rodriguez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just need to be able to add date on the checklist box (and assign would be great), believe this is in another feature request.

• CB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Subtasks need to be assignable, have due dates, and status. They need to be actual sub-tasks, not checklists. Checklists are only useful in a multi-step task, but not if subtasks involve other people due dates. Yes, dependency should be an integral part of it too, not a separate thread.

• Andrew Clark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding sub-tasks would be great but I would want to be able to also assign sub-tasks to different members.

• Steve Brugger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sub-tasks would be great, but with far less development effort if the following fields were added to the checklist object, it would go a long way to improving things:

Progress, Start Date, Due Date, Assigned To

I wouldn't worry about dependencies initially, as the list of checklist items is usually short and can manually be rearranged to reflect that if needed.

Sub tasks would allow me to organize my content. There is a major task that needs sub tasks. Making a new bucket results in too many buckets.. If I could click on a card and have it open other cards below it, that would be helpful. Making predecessors would also be great.

• Jonathan Wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've encountered situations where a user creates a task and checklist items. However, the task creater then realizes that the checklist items are more complex and wishes to "promote" checklist item as an independent sub-task (where the completion of the sub task does not rely on the completion of any other task) or as a dependent sub task (where the completion of the sub task is dependent on an earlier sub task). These sub-tasks would be have the same functionality as a base task (assignments, checklists, attachments, etc.), but the completion date could not be AFTER the base task. A per-plan configurable limit to nested tasks would allow plan creators to limit how granular tasks can get. Alternatively, a subscription admin could impose global limit for an organization.

• Liam Denny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Look at the functionality Asana brings for this. would be great if it could be replicated.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base