How can we improve Planner?

Subtasks

It would be good if we are able to create a subtask to an existing task.

2,612 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Alex shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

70 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Elinor Engström commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature should make Gantt possible as well. I feel like if the feature exists with 3rd party addons then Microsoft should be able to develop it, too!

• Mark S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bril Rupan commented · January 16, 2017 07:57 · Flag as inappropriate
        It's possible now with the help of this free chrome extension. I have tried and it worked great.
        https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/apps4pro-planner/ngdpmomdappgkebiakppbccncaoicmgb

@Bril Rupan, thanks for the lead. I have tried their desktop app (Planner Manager) for sub tasks and it worked great! When contacted Apps4.Pro they informed me that support for Chrome extension is no more available and asked me to try this desktop app.

• Brannon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You also need to be able to reorder the subtasks easily by dragging and dropping them, or using a up/down arrow to move them within the list.

I favor just turning the checklist feature into a subtask feature by adding due dates and assignments.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to be able to allocate sub-tasks to different individuals. Really a critical functionality.

Anonymous - "the ability to add due dates to the check list items"

Me- What he/she/it said.

Check the solution joven by Asna: Simple & Elegant: either Tasks & sub-task can have assignees & due dates

• gmb1986 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great. Would be good if the subtasks could sit on a different plan if required also.

Needs sub-tasks and sub-sub tasks. This was available years ago in a product called EchoPro and it was very useful.

• Brett Abraham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a key feature my organization is looking for; We would like to make Planner our primary project planning tool, but it feels severely lacking without this functionality. We have looked into third-party add-ons, but were not satisfied with what's current available. (Apps4.Pro or iPlanner)

• Lauren Lanier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The chrome extension Apps4.Pro Planner Outlook add-in for subtasks had a bug which would disable any functionality with checklists. It did not add much functionality with subtasks either because it was still difficult to see the parent tasks. Another solution within Planner for subtasks with the ability to assign people and due dates is still needed.

• Christian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not only do we need sub tasks, but a way to conveniently view them by parent task so that we can track each individual sub-task's progress. Some might say that a scrum board is required.

• Marcus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Craig. I'm happy to use checklists as sub tasks but being able to assign due dates and people to each would be very useful. And lets face it it'd put Planner out in front of Trello!!

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base