How can we make Planner better?

Subtasks

It would be good if we are able to create a subtask to an existing task.

4,447 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Alex shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Tell us more  ·  AdminPlanner Team (Product Manager, Planner) responded  · 

Thank you for your interest and feedback!

Reading the comments on this thread, they seem to follow two different asks. If you’re suggesting dependency between tasks (ie. task A must be completed before task B), please visit this thread: https://planner.uservoice.com/forums/330525/suggestions/13976094

If you’d like to suggest improvements to our existing checklist functionality, please share more with us in a comment below!

Thanks,

The Planner Team

186 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Shawn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be helpful to add more of the Task-Level functionality to the individual steps. Due date, reminder, "assigned to", etc.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to use the task and checklist features to create a Kanban board. Each task would be a project and the checklist would be major milestones. I'd move the project cards across buckets to see the progress of my portfolio. I'd like the checklist to have due dates on them and I'd like to record date completed. I'd like to have percentage complete based on the number of checklist items complete. Lastly, I'd like to download all of this in Excel so that I can analyze the performance of my organization.

I would like to be able to add sub-bullets to the checklist tasks. So for example, you could have checklist items 1, 2, and 3, and item 2 could have two sub-bullets under it.

• Amanda Reid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ability to have sub tasks like the checklist but be able to assign subtasks to someone else. A feature that exists on Asana

• Lisa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In our organization we already use checklist-items as subtasks. For better workflows it would be helpful to add deadlines to a single checklist item and also to be able to create more that one checklist in a task. We are also sometimes struggling with the limitation on 20 items for a checklist.

• Chris Jordan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its ok to have task within a bucket and the ability to add single point entries within that task, however not sure I can see the point of a task that I cannot split down into smaller tasks that can be assigned out and have notes and files attached. Something like Asana you can create sub tasks from subtasks.. highly handy when you are part way through a project and find that the single entry task you had is actually 5 tasks that can be assigned to different people, I don't want to have to create a whole new bucket just to assign 5 sub tasks that I can make notes one.

• Anders Windsor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a long overdue functions. The subtasks/lists should have the ability to be assigned to other members and have its own due dates.

• Melissa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our ask is the ability to have a master task with a long timeline (a month or more), and subtasks tied to that main task, which can be assigned to different team members with their own due dates. So the master task could be a publication with a due date of the final publication date -- but sub tasks could be writing a draft, revisions, approvals, etc. each with their own due dates and assignees -- and more importantly, the notifications and reminders could be tied to those subtasks and not only for the final completion date of the entire project.

• Rick Prokosch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In comparing to LeanKit, I liked that each task had its own card. That way, as I'm an working on checklist item in planner for example, I could at least make comments that would show up under that checklist item. I find that a larger task/card in planner like "Update contract" will have checklist tasks like "confirm with legal" and "upload to corporate forms". I would like to be able to post comments specifically related to those checklist items so another team member can see that the checklist item is not done but then could see the comments/notes made as someone else has made progress on it.

• Pankaj deharia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My wish is to have the capability to add sub task inside an task, so that main task i can use that as a milestones.
    My main task will behave as milestone of a project will have some start and end date.
    Sub task will act as small task under that milestone task and that can have the start date and end date. that will give flexibility to manage/ visualize the timeline project.

Thanks in advance

• Fumito Sakamoto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am using bucket as project and using task cards as sub task.
    there is problem when project complete. Now, I make project bucket copy in "completed project" and copy task cards one by one because our team need to review completed project records when we start new project and it is similar to completed project. I think that this problem will resolve if bucket and task cards can move to other plan. I will appreciate if this function is added to planner.

Tasks can require a series of subtasks (like a checklist but able to be assigned to different accounts, and with due dates, even with dependencies between subtasks). EG: A proofing task: send proof, return proof approval/decline (with comments), edit, finalise. Asana has the sub-task idea working well ;)

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I created a uservoice entry in the To-Do section with a similar idea: https://todo.uservoice.com/forums/597175-feature-suggestions/suggestions/37643620-associate-to-do-tasks-with-planner-tasks

Except this makes it so that the To-Do tasks are the subtasks. This makes it so that you can associate flagged email, OneNote tasks and standard Outlook tasks with a parent Planner item. These associated tasks could show as links in the existing Checklist to the To-Do items.

It would be useful to build out the check list functionality to mimic the task and act as a sub-task. Each task has a begin and end date and assign to field at a master level. The check list would be better suited as sub tasks or required steps each with the ability to have start/end dates and specific assignee necessary to be completed prior to the master task being completed. Think of it as the task is an epic and the check list are the user stories.

• Katie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be so helpful.

I'd also like to be able to have a subtask. Either that or making multiple start and finish dates.

This is a great idea, another way to do this is to be able to re-assign task to another person, after the task has been completed. for instance a copywriter might complete the task, and then assign the task to graphics designer. On the reporting side, the completed task still remains on the copywriter side and a new task is on the graphic designer task. Further to this, the ability to track the task history as it moves from one person to the other

• Nic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The current checklist have no features. They are basically text with a checkbox in front of it.
    Checklist items do not have due date, cannot be assigned to someone, and don't have comments either.

• AlexC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about the super-simple tweak of allowing clickable URLs in checklist items & figuring out if that URL comes from task.office.com to dereference it & show the Task Title instead -- just like Trello ?

Really basic stuff.

• Robbie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is essential to the type of work our team does. Without subtasks we haven't found a way to organize to the level we need. It seems as if this should be considered a basic function of a project tracker.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base