How can we improve Planner?

Schedule reoccurring tasks.

Add the ability to schedule tasks every day, every Wednesday, every last Friday of the month etc...

2,506 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Tell us more  ·  AdminPlanner Team (Admin, Planner) responded  · 

Thank you for your feedback!

We’d love to hear more about how you and your team would use recurring tasks.

When do you need to set reoccurring tasks?
    What options would you expect?

Any specific scenarios or examples are extremely helpful!

Cheers,

The Planner Team

527 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How many votes do you think you need to implement this feature ?

Thanks for your support

• Giovanni Battaglia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A recurring task can be an automatic task generator based on a specific time.

For example a Copywriter Team have to create a new article every month.

The options we need are:
        - Possibility to set up Reoccurring task on standard frequency and on a custom calendar
        - Possibility to end a Reoccuring task after a custom number of reoccurency or after a specific end time
        - Possibility to choose to flag as complete the single task automatically created or the task with the Reoccuring options to end the automation
        - Possibility to create a new task every time, or to replace the old one with the new even if isn't completed (like throw the trash every saturday)

• Dale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You know how recurring calendar appointments behave in Microsoft Outlook? Like that. Just implement that. (Very surprised it was not implemented out of the gate - recurring tasks should be "table stakes" for any task tracking system.)

I am using msft planner to schedule the tasks I need to perform every week. there are tasks that are recurrent and I cant be creating the same tasks every week.
        I expect the option to allow a simple task to be copied every week. this way I will be checking down the tasks for the current week and the following date all the recurrent tasks will show there as "new tasks".

Would appriciate a lot - we have several montly tasks which could be easily delegated among team members and planner would be perfect tool for it.

I was so excited to start building an editorial calendar with the Teams Planner - it seemed perfect! But without the "recurring tasks" tool it's a huge pain. Many of the tasks are weekly, monthly or annual - I'm surprised a calendar exists without this tool since it's so useful. Now I'll either have to painstakingly add in every individual task (and rebuild the entire calendar every year) or find another tool.

We too would like the ability to reschedule recurring tasks but not on a "set time" of the week. It would be for scheduling jobs. Each task have a set of sub tasks that would need to be auto generated once the "first" task is created. AKA. "Job awarded" would then kick off a list of sub tasks for that specific job. We may have 1 job a day or 5 jobs a day and each "sub task list" would need to be auto generated for each "main job task."

• Kyle D Cole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've used alternatives to Planner (Asana, Omnifocus, etc.) to remind me to reconcile my P-card, put in vacation time, review my team's time off requests, etc. These are all recurring tasks that I need to keep doing every week/every couple of days.

• Korey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

our organization is looking at using Planner, but without this feature it is a much tougher sell. Many of our tasks happen daily, weekly, monthly, or annually. Even large scale projects will have embedded smaller reoccurring tasks at some level. This is a basic feature that is a must have to become a quality application. Also the ability to copy those reoccurring tasks for use on multiple boards or teams.

The ability to complete a reoccurring task and have it reappear later would be great. Ex.- i complete a reoccurring weekly task on Monday. I dont need to see that task in that list until the following Monday. Keeps lists clean and auto reloads the task. Currently you have to go i to your completed tasks and uncomplete.

This is the only reason we are not using Planner. Most of our tasks recur weekly, monthly, quarterly, annually. It seems so basic, I can't understand why the feature is not included.

Regular tasks status, week on week it suppose to happen..

And we need to find out the accuracy of the operational activity. What is the %of work something on time

• RLORD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The recurring task ability could mimic the recurring task/calendar entries in Outlook. You could tell it to set the same task due date every Friday, or the 13th of each month, etc. I run a Financial Department that maintains a calendar where our tasks are repeated weekly/monthly, and it would be nice to set it up to automatically load that task without having to create the task 12 times for each month, or 52 times for each week. Thanks!

• CA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to setup recurring tasks, assigned to team members, and with notifications to alert/remind people involved is fundamental. Like many in many business processes, every week/month/quarter/year, certain "things" need to be done. For example, every week, i need to submit a time sheet. We should be able to setup recurring tasks to remind the assignee if this hasn't been done, and notify the assignor that it was or wasn't completed. For managers of teams where tasks are split up across multiple team members, it would be helpful for a manager to have this high level view of all the outstanding tasks, how many are done, incomplete, late, etc. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE build this functionality.

Set a recurring tasks that can be set weekly, monthly, quarterly, annually or be able to pick specific successive dates. When the task is closed, t automatically opens a new task with the same attributes on the next successive date. Need this for setting recurring tasks like scheduled maintenance, annual evaluations, etc.

• MARGARET MEIERS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am the Chief People Officer of my company and would like to assign my team to work on recurring tasks such as preparation for a monthly operations review, employee newsletters, training, etc. It's very frustrating not to be able to do that in Planner. I had planned to map out all of my team's work on Planner, but it will not fully support my needs.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 26 27

Feedback and Knowledge Base