How can we make Planner better?

Function to add more Labels

Sometimes the Labels are not enough, for example if you use it to tag different departments or functions

1,756 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Christian Paulsson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Tell us more  ·  AdminPlanner Team (Product Manager, Planner) responded  · 

Thank you for sharing your feedback!

We would like to learn more about how you utilize labels, specifically:

1) How do you use labels to organize your work?
2) How many labels do you need?
3) Would you like an ability to customize colors? If so, how would you use it?
4) How would you like labels to appear on task cards?
5) Is there anything else would you like to add in regards to labels?

Cheers,
The Planner Team

394 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes we need the ability to add more labels for categorization and organization. Our project tasks fall into more than 6 categories.

question 4 - label and how they appear

To me it would be more easy to have the labelled task be with a top thin line of the label colour rather than it is now

• Daniel Lopez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A/. We use labesl as a way to filter tasks. For example, we have labels for task risk (low, medium, high); we then filter these tasks and talk about them as a team in order to remove any roadblocks. We also use labels for for custom reporting purposes which might covered by default filers, e.g. tasks that related to a specific mission accross multiple projects or assignees.
    A/. 15 will be great, however, ideally I would love to have the ability to create as many as you can fit in the task creation window.
    A/. It's not defining requirement but it does help us view at a high level which items (based on risk mentioned above) need to be address or look at first.
    A/. It could be as it looks today, or simply show them as "Tags" just like they would show up in any tagged Azure resource.
    A/. Recycling labels is important, that being said, it is important to be able to add/remove/edit them.

• Marlyne Miralles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1) = label per marketing activity / channel and departments with whom I work

2) =need 10-12 labels

3) =Yes to customise colours . Per marketing activity / channel and departments with whom I work

4) = labels to appear on the title of the task cards (top of the card)

What would also be great is to have a field that we can match in Flow. We use flows to send the Planner data to a Sharepoint list that can then be connected to a PowerBI dashboards but for some reason the label field cannot be mapped to the Sharepoint list

1) Project Management (RAID items and other things)
    2) Configurable through settings
    3) Yes, to customise according to my needs, ensure consistency across multiple planners
    4) How they are now is fine
    5) No

• Cole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition to what has been said, can the labels be more prominent? The tiny little flags on the side are very hard to see. When I am communicating status of a part of project (ie. On Time, At Risk, Late, etc) I want those to be much easier to see so the team can see the trouble areas easier.

• David Faulkner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would like to learn more about how you utilize labels, specifically:
    I would assign colors/labels to workstreams

3) Would you like an ability to customize colors? If so, how would you use it? Yes, In addition to workstream labels, I would like to have Red, Green & Yellow to assign status flags to a card

4) How would you like labels to appear on task cards? Color flag with text inside

No

• John Greaves commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tagging tasks to key team goals. It would also be helpful to show some tasks as high priority (could be a label) and status of task - on track, few issues, need support (or you could make the status field more flexible) and finally it would be nice to categorise tasks as "quick wins", "small project", "large project" - that would help with resourcing (again could be a new field)
    Why limit it? I would suggest 20 would suit most people's needs
    Yes although a standard colour pallete is sufficient
    A few options might be nice. Current minimalist bit on side is fine but changing the background colour of the task might be easier to scan where you are prioritising
    This functionality is critical for using Planner for more than just a simple task manager

• Greg Rapier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use labels to visually organize tasks by sales territory.
    Currently require 9 labels but would like the ability to add more as we grow our company and sales organization.
    Yes please, to align with our current colour coding system for hard copy files.
    Yes please
    Adding this capability would truly make Planner a valuable tool for us.

• KVIS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

- To track progress
    - To track well-being of team members
    - no limit
    - Yes. To get more variety and more categorization
    - Like in Trello. I am missing the bigger label, making it easier to see, and also being able to see the text.
    5) Is there anything else would you like to add in regards to labels
    Fixing it would make me very happy :)

• Tobias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We'd like to use labels to dfferentiate tasks by department, so less than 100 with customizable colors would be sufficient. For chosing the color, an option to supply the color by RGB or Hex value would be perfect in order to make use the corporate design colors.

We already use the order of the tasks within a bucket as priority list, however, when resorting by label, tasks are automatically arranged alphabetically and does not preserve the manual bucket sorting

• Sub commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

infinite lables with infinite colours, patterns, and text labelling in all mannor of fonts and sizes and re-ordering please

to be able to review tasks by different viewpoints or filters - eg ones that are urgent, ones that have dependencies with other workstreams, ones that may have savings or benefits attached to them, ones that are high risk or low risk, show by department or
    customising colours not important, and how they appear now is fine.
    20 labels would be great.

• Maia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

(1) I use labels to delineate the department/team or urgency/priority of a task.
    (2) I'd like to have a seperate way of noting urgency or priority of tasks so labels could be used to identify the dept/teams.
    (3) I would like the ability to customize colors to match other existing coloring systems (i.e. Outlook Categories and notations used in Excel) for teams & departments.
    (4) It would be helpful if the label markers were a bit larger along the side of tasks.
    (5) Allow creation of more labels, maybe up to 10

• Neyhit Jindal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to expand the label on the card itself. Now, if we want to see which label color stands for what, we have to open the card. So, by adding this feature, it will be easier for the team to quickly look at the labels and open up the appropriate card

• Erica D'Eramo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1) How do you use labels to organize your work? - designating function ownership, topic/workstream, priority, whether it's blocked, etc...
    2) How many labels do you need? - there should not be a limit. they are essentially replicating tags.
    3) Would you like an ability to customize colors? If so, how would you use it? - nice to have, but it would mainly be to quickly identify certain tasks visually - something easily done with filters.
    4) How would you like labels to appear on task cards? - Listed out in an area of the card just like tags would.
    5) Is there anything else would you like to add in regards to labels? Azure DevOps (formerly VSTS) allows infinite tags that can be filtered on. This team can look to that team for how to create something useful. Right now 6 tags means we can't actually use Planner as a day-to-day project management app.

• Bernd Großhans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

-> That depends on the scenario, generally for flexible categorization of tasks.
    -> Mostly 15 - 20 should be sufficient, but having no artificial limit would be ideal.
    -> That would be great.
    -> Usage: sometimes certain labels are (mentally) assigned to colors (like for priorities).
    -> Usage: different labels that belong together can be grouped by similar colors.
    -> The current implementation is fine.
    -> Option to use labels as swim-lanes (e.g. buckets vertical, labels horizontal) would be great
    -> No, but thanks for asking. :-)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 19 20

Feedback and Knowledge Base