How can we improve Planner?

Easily add Planner Tasks from within Outlook client and Office 365

Emails consume too much time and energy. As an email user I want to only view an email once and should be able to reply/forward to a person or Outlook Group/SharePoint Site, schedule a Planner task, and/or archive the email for future reference.

2,292 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

LannyLanny shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

61 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Google is always good with having their products tightedly integrated and easy to use. Now microsoft have done something amazing by having all these cool new tools but the only downside and probably the show stopper is all these products not working hand in hand.

Planner is not very useful as a standalone planner. It will be very helpful if I can move all my communication channels such as outlook (email), Team(Slack like communication) and others into planner and have one view for planning all together.

• Susan RuhlSusan Ruhl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the only thing holding me up from migrating from Trello to Planner. Please please please hurry up and do this! It's been asked for by so many for quite a while!

• James BibbyJames Bibby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree, and I like the process @Stefano outlined on 17 Sep. Email arrives, do I need to action? Yes, click add to planner.

• Scott BoothScott Booth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am in the same boat at the previous poster. Most of my work comes in via email. I like to triage it from there - email to wunderlist, Trello or whatever. This is a roadblock for using planner. Currently I have to manually type in the task from the email.

I want to stay in the O365 ecosystem and use this app but it needs to be on par with equivalent apps - Trello is a good guide for adding features.
        Thank you.

• JasonJason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just look at the Trello plugin for Outlook to see how to do this. I moved away from Planner because of this missing functionality but would gladly come back to Planner if you could make this happen.

• StefanoStefano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1) email arrives
        2) click "add to planner"
        3) a window opens
        4) assign to colleagues
        4) track a monitor
        5) like GMAIL COLLABORATIVE INBOX
        6) :-))))

• Hayley MillerHayley Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please stop thinking about it and do it! If outlook could become the hub for our calendar, email, contacts, and planner, that would be AMAZING.

Planner could replace the current "tasks" that you find in outlook.

• RobRob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an essential tool for widespread implementation in our organization.

• curticacurtica commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have this same requirement - must be able to get the email requests directly into Planner. Has anyone tried Zendesk, Help Scout, or SupportBee? I haven't yet had time to research them but saw them recommended.

• NicNic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can think all you want about it but a task management program that cannot accept emails is unusable. Requests arrive by email, and currently there is NO WAY to convert them to a task. What is you suggested method of work? Get the email, retype its content to a Planner Task, then save any potential attached documents to my computer, then manually attach them to the task I created?! It's absurd.

• chkchk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

can't seem to use this with outlook desktop app. Not sure all of these added "bonus" programs ms is adding to the office 365 subscription is worth it if you have to pay for 3rd party apps to make them work with MS desktop apps.

The majority of new tasks or projects start with an email from someone. It's ridiculous that I can't import an email into a Planner task without manually opening Planner and pasting the relevant data.

This shouldn't be difficult, and it shouldn't still be in "thinking about it" status over a year later.

• JacobJacob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with earlier comment that there should at least be a icon for the group planner in the outlook client, just as there is with the notebook and files

For the love of God please develop the ability to convert an email into a Planner task.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base