How can we improve Planner?

Allow external users to view/edit tasks.

We have sub consultants that we collaborate with on a daily basis. It would be nice to have different levels of permissions to view tasks, edit tasks, and / or create tasks.

1,988 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Russell Stanford shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

115 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • PeteW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think there may be around this....I've just added two external users to a shared OneDrive area.

Then I go into Planner, I can give them access to the plan, then assign them to tasks just like an internal user.

• Rob Chambers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No update on this since February? Im trying to sell Planner to one of my customers but cant because this feature is missing. Will be putting them on Trello I think.

• Peter Reed-Forrester commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Surely this is an absolute "No Brainer"? Very surprised Planner was launched without it!

Virtually every "Plan" we create involves collaboration with an external Client or Contractor somewhere along the line.

No being able to assign tasks, share progress etc.with Clients, Sub-Contractors etc. is what is keeping us with Basecamp.

• Mark Mees commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am an external consultant currently using Planner to deliver my handover tasks for the last month of my engagement. It really is a nuisance that I am unable to give access to my client (who is on Office 365) to view and track progress with the plan. To be honest, granting external access to Planner tasks seems kind of fundamental, and I look forward to seeing this functionality real soon.

• Lawrence Kiefer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like most office 365 tools, they are 1 step away from being useful. If I cannot share my plan with customers not using office365 then its useless.

• DOMCOM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Useless without this option....my clients stay on trello, no arguments for the planner.

• Amol (IFRC) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Biggest limitation in using this effectively is missing external user integration. Usually we use external partners and collaborators for any project or operations. In absence of external integration, most of our activities are not completely supportable under Planner

• Alex Henry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a critically needed feature! I cannot see my work adopting Planner if they cannot get outside consultants into the mix.

• @DavidMcKnight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We tried using Yammer for this -- but are anxiously awaiting the ability to assign external users to Groups so we can get them onto a Plan.

• @DavidMcKnight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is SO critical. Almost every project we will use Planner for requires the involvement of external collaborators. And I'm already creating Groups and Plans with this in mind. We already can share files externally with OneDrive for Business. Getting this done is important. So important that if it's not done when I need it, I will buy extra licenses and assign them to external users. But using it that way is not going to work as well as having a method of getting external users into Groups. Let me know when you want us to test it, Planner Team. Thanks!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thumbs up to this, you'll never be competitive with Asana or Flow or another of the other non-locked in tools. My very first try at using Planner and sure enough I ran into the problem of not being able to include an outside the domain person in the plan. Permissions should be fine grained, I may want someone outside the domain to be involved in the entire thing or just certain tasks with no visibility to other tasks or documents.

• Lawrence Kiefer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be at the top of the priority list. However I have been reading about Microsoft implementing this feature for a very long time with no results. I think they may just be telling us what we want to hear. :)

• William commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep same problem here it's very difficult to us to use planner without inviting external users

Feedback and Knowledge Base