How can we improve Planner?

Allow external users to view/edit tasks.

We have sub consultants that we collaborate with on a daily basis. It would be nice to have different levels of permissions to view tasks, edit tasks, and / or create tasks.

1,818 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Russell StanfordRussell Stanford shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Started  ·  Planner TeamAdminPlanner Team (Admin, Planner) responded  · 

We’re working on supporting this in Office 365 Groups in general. Once that’s complete, we’ll support it in Planner shortly after.

105 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DOMCOMDOMCOM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Useless without this option....my clients stay on trello, no arguments for the planner.

• Amol (IFRC)Amol (IFRC) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Biggest limitation in using this effectively is missing external user integration. Usually we use external partners and collaborators for any project or operations. In absence of external integration, most of our activities are not completely supportable under Planner

• Alex HenryAlex Henry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a critically needed feature! I cannot see my work adopting Planner if they cannot get outside consultants into the mix.

• @DavidMcKnight@DavidMcKnight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We tried using Yammer for this -- but are anxiously awaiting the ability to assign external users to Groups so we can get them onto a Plan.

• @DavidMcKnight@DavidMcKnight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is SO critical. Almost every project we will use Planner for requires the involvement of external collaborators. And I'm already creating Groups and Plans with this in mind. We already can share files externally with OneDrive for Business. Getting this done is important. So important that if it's not done when I need it, I will buy extra licenses and assign them to external users. But using it that way is not going to work as well as having a method of getting external users into Groups. Let me know when you want us to test it, Planner Team. Thanks!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thumbs up to this, you'll never be competitive with Asana or Flow or another of the other non-locked in tools. My very first try at using Planner and sure enough I ran into the problem of not being able to include an outside the domain person in the plan. Permissions should be fine grained, I may want someone outside the domain to be involved in the entire thing or just certain tasks with no visibility to other tasks or documents.

• Lawrence KieferLawrence Kiefer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be at the top of the priority list. However I have been reading about Microsoft implementing this feature for a very long time with no results. I think they may just be telling us what we want to hear. :)

• WilliamWilliam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep same problem here it's very difficult to us to use planner without inviting external users

• WilliamWilliam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any timeline on this, it's a critical feature to collaborating - we have multiple office 365 tenants and you can't even share between them!

• AmirAmir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely voted. Additionally, please allow tasks to be assigned to people outside of O365 using their email address in much the same way we can invite externals to collaborate on SharePoint.

• Simon PronkSimon Pronk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently only members in the same tenant can be assigned a task but we work with 365 users at other companies and also non 365 users on the same project. Need to able to add these users in to a plan and assign a task to them even if they cannot create a new plan

• NBSNBS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is essential functionality. Without it, Planner is of only limited usefulness, and our adoption of this tool will be slowed, if not halted altogether.

We have contractors and other third parties we engage for project work. They don't have Office 365 accounts, but they need to be able to contribute to projects. This includes the ability to contribute to conversations and comment on tasks, in addition to receiving email updates from a plan, and of course being able to create, update and close tasks.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completelly agree with this request, this feature will help a lot with the adoption of this tool.

• Kevin TurntineKevin Turntine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Besides receiving this feature, having a timeline that we can count on would be important. We have a user base who desires this tool, but cannot use it without external users. Therefore, they are going to seek other competitive products vs. sticking within the stack. We can create patience if we know when it will happen. Without that date/timing, we are asking our user base to wait - seemingly forever - and that won't be acceptable.

• AGAG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a very important feature for us to adopt Planner

Feedback and Knowledge Base