How can we improve Planner?

Allow external users to view/edit tasks.

We have sub consultants that we collaborate with on a daily basis. It would be nice to have different levels of permissions to view tasks, edit tasks, and / or create tasks.

1,818 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Russell StanfordRussell Stanford shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Started  ·  Planner TeamAdminPlanner Team (Admin, Planner) responded  · 

We’re working on supporting this in Office 365 Groups in general. Once that’s complete, we’ll support it in Planner shortly after.

105 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • sunilsunil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is it possible to assign task notification via mail to the external user and he is able to approve the task in SharePoint 2013 online?

• sunilsunil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is it possible to assign task notification via mail to the external user and he is able to approve the ask in SharePoint 2013 online?

pls can give me suggestions.

• NBSNBS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was hoping this would be completed by now. Microsoft, I haven't seen any input from you on this forum in a long time. Would you please provide an update on this? Thanks.

• RadekRadek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And I thought that I've been doing something wrong...
        I'm truly disappointed now without being able to invite anyone I want into my project!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@PeteW
        I did the same as you; added a external person to a shared One Drive area. Then I added the person to the actual plan and was able to assign tasks to that member.

I work with external users that come from both big companies as well as "one" man companies. The big companies are usually no problem regarding licens, but the small companies are more concerned about licens.
        The question I have; What kind of licens must that person have? Are there any "free" licence with limited access? Or does everybody has to have the Enterprise licens?

• Justin HittJustin Hitt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Modern businesses leverage outside users. If I'm going to move my business into Office365 it needs to let me bridge internal accounts as well as work with clients and partners without special logins. Tracking vendors in Planner won't work without third party assignments.

• PeteWPeteW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think there may be around this....I've just added two external users to a shared OneDrive area.

Then I go into Planner, I can give them access to the plan, then assign them to tasks just like an internal user.

• Rob ChambersRob Chambers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No update on this since February? Im trying to sell Planner to one of my customers but cant because this feature is missing. Will be putting them on Trello I think.

• Peter Reed-ForresterPeter Reed-Forrester commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Surely this is an absolute "No Brainer"? Very surprised Planner was launched without it!

Virtually every "Plan" we create involves collaboration with an external Client or Contractor somewhere along the line.

No being able to assign tasks, share progress etc.with Clients, Sub-Contractors etc. is what is keeping us with Basecamp.

• Mark MeesMark Mees commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am an external consultant currently using Planner to deliver my handover tasks for the last month of my engagement. It really is a nuisance that I am unable to give access to my client (who is on Office 365) to view and track progress with the plan. To be honest, granting external access to Planner tasks seems kind of fundamental, and I look forward to seeing this functionality real soon.

• Lawrence KieferLawrence Kiefer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like most office 365 tools, they are 1 step away from being useful. If I cannot share my plan with customers not using office365 then its useless.

Feedback and Knowledge Base