How can we improve Planner?

Allow external users to view/edit tasks.

We have sub consultants that we collaborate with on a daily basis. It would be nice to have different levels of permissions to view tasks, edit tasks, and / or create tasks.

1,988 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Russell Stanford shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

115 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Patrik Stahl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Time to post an update on this topic Planner Team? Planner fits the bill for my current project but we are heavily dependent on externals. Without them being able to access the Planner board and comment/edit the tasks, the whole app is quite useless to us.

• Tom Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this, we really want to allow access with a view permission but not edit \ delete etc?

• Juan Cordero commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Collaboration is a core element of how we work which requires the creation of extended teams on a project or long term engagement. While the majority of our teams are internal staff, there is still a critical element of any project that requires the inclusion of our clients and/or external vendors. It is imperative that Microsoft Teams allows for the easy (but secure) inclusion of external parties for the length of any project or engagement.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can add a guest to the group now and in planner assign a task to the guest - but it doesn't look like the guest account is notified (no email) and he can't access the task/plan (just files), so am I missing something? If external sharing with Planner is not yet available, why can I assigned a guest account to a task - makes it confusing right??

• Mike Duggan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does anybody have a workaround? We want our general Office 365 users to create tasks in a group's Planner without adding those users to the group; we also don't want them to be able to edit/delete tasks - only start them.

• sunil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is it possible to assign task notification via mail to the external user and he is able to approve the task in SharePoint 2013 online?

• sunil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is it possible to assign task notification via mail to the external user and he is able to approve the ask in SharePoint 2013 online?

pls can give me suggestions.

• NBS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was hoping this would be completed by now. Microsoft, I haven't seen any input from you on this forum in a long time. Would you please provide an update on this? Thanks.

• Radek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And I thought that I've been doing something wrong...
        I'm truly disappointed now without being able to invite anyone I want into my project!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@PeteW
        I did the same as you; added a external person to a shared One Drive area. Then I added the person to the actual plan and was able to assign tasks to that member.

I work with external users that come from both big companies as well as "one" man companies. The big companies are usually no problem regarding licens, but the small companies are more concerned about licens.
        The question I have; What kind of licens must that person have? Are there any "free" licence with limited access? Or does everybody has to have the Enterprise licens?

• Justin Hitt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Modern businesses leverage outside users. If I'm going to move my business into Office365 it needs to let me bridge internal accounts as well as work with clients and partners without special logins. Tracking vendors in Planner won't work without third party assignments.

Feedback and Knowledge Base