How can we improve Planner?

Allow external users to view/edit tasks.

We have sub consultants that we collaborate with on a daily basis. It would be nice to have different levels of permissions to view tasks, edit tasks, and / or create tasks.

1,818 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Russell StanfordRussell Stanford shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Started  ·  Planner TeamAdminPlanner Team (Admin, Planner) responded  · 

We’re working on supporting this in Office 365 Groups in general. Once that’s complete, we’ll support it in Planner shortly after.

105 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Martin GomezMartin Gomez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, do you have an estimated date? this feature would be great. I can add the external user now, but doesn't have access to planner tasks/boards.

thank you in advance!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

here here - we are strattling this and Trello because planner is not able to match the features yet.

• Patrik StahlPatrik Stahl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

James: The Planner Team doesn't seem too keen on replying to this. Did you work out a way to achieve this or did you go for something like Trello or the likes? Bugs me to no end that no one from MS is replying and that this wasn't in the original scope since companies today use partners and outside collaborators to great extent in so many projects.

We need this ASAP. Restricting the member to view/edit his/her own tasks only is very important.

Would appreciate the ability to allow users from outside the group (and inside our organization) to view but not edit the plan.

• James SchroederJames Schroeder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My company would like to use Planner in place of Boot Camp. We have work we are kicking off in January and definitely would like to have our outside collaborators view/edit and add tasks as needed to achieve the objective of a project scope.

Is there any update on this? It's fantastic that I can invite external members and assign tasks, but seems unfortunate, they can't actually see their assignments...
        Is this still scheduled to work one day, or will this be replaced by other products?

• Patrik StahlPatrik Stahl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Time to post an update on this topic Planner Team? Planner fits the bill for my current project but we are heavily dependent on externals. Without them being able to access the Planner board and comment/edit the tasks, the whole app is quite useless to us.

• Tom WebbTom Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this, we really want to allow access with a view permission but not edit \ delete etc?

• Juan CorderoJuan Cordero commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Collaboration is a core element of how we work which requires the creation of extended teams on a project or long term engagement. While the majority of our teams are internal staff, there is still a critical element of any project that requires the inclusion of our clients and/or external vendors. It is imperative that Microsoft Teams allows for the easy (but secure) inclusion of external parties for the length of any project or engagement.

• MarkMark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can add a guest to the group now and in planner assign a task to the guest - but it doesn't look like the guest account is notified (no email) and he can't access the task/plan (just files), so am I missing something? If external sharing with Planner is not yet available, why can I assigned a guest account to a task - makes it confusing right??

• Mike DugganMike Duggan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does anybody have a workaround? We want our general Office 365 users to create tasks in a group's Planner without adding those users to the group; we also don't want them to be able to edit/delete tasks - only start them.

Feedback and Knowledge Base