How can we improve Planner?

Allow external users to view/edit tasks.

We have sub consultants that we collaborate with on a daily basis. It would be nice to have different levels of permissions to view tasks, edit tasks, and / or create tasks.

1,446 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Russell StanfordRussell Stanford shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  Planner TeamAdminPlanner Team (Admin, Planner) responded  · 

We’re working on supporting this in Office 365 Groups in general. Once that’s complete, we’ll support it in Planner shortly after.

76 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mike-EEEMike-EEE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Such a great application. Really well-done, team. All of Office should model themselves after your efforts.

It would be great if we could get someone from the team to chime in with an authoritative perspective on what exactly is an "external" user here:
        https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_other-mso_win10/cannot-signin-to-planner-with-msft-account/74f75dd9-2006-485e-b643-77e6d43f8f17

I am able to already add "External" users to my Planner groups that have been added to my AAD via B2B collaboration. It would seem that this is for "External" users that do *not* have an AAD entry, correct?

• PatrickPatrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need external consultants to acces our planner plan as guests and give them edit rights. Any updates on this?

• DerekDerek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"We’re working on supporting this in Office 365 Groups in general. Once that’s complete, we’ll support it in Planner shortly after."

Any closer to releasing this feature?

• jacreatechjacreatech commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I sure hope I'm not of many that seem to get this very important request shoveled into a black hole. This will make or break my desire to use Planner the same way I have already shelved Teams and enhanced my Slack usage.MS, I get that you want more MS users. Monopoly is OVER, play nice in today's open collaborative environment and I have no doubt the users will follow.

• Joseph LinesJoseph Lines commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree. with External user access to tasks and planner Board. Planner is great but only if your project is internal. My customers have no visibility or access to participate in tasks. I am almost to the point where I am going to to go back to OneNote/Outlook task management. At least I can share that with external O365 users.

This should be a much higher priority for Planner

• DarrenDarren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In an age of distributed agile teams, I do not understand why this isn't a bigger priority. I get that Fortune 500 companies pay more money, but they are also largely stagnant.

In the meantime, Trello sits outside of my workflow. I truly would like to see a point where I can have communications with my customers and contractors. Groups is getting closer, but it would be nice to see Teams and Planner catch up.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My problem is I need to add people to a team outside of the group. You should be able to add private email addresses to the system. Most job planners have people working outside the group from other companies, private contractors etc.. Building a 'Team' should mean anyone should be able to join or be invited at anytime.

• Martin GomezMartin Gomez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, do you have an estimated date? this feature would be great. I can add the external user now, but doesn't have access to planner tasks/boards.

thank you in advance!

here here - we are strattling this and Trello because planner is not able to match the features yet.

• Patrik StahlPatrik Stahl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

James: The Planner Team doesn't seem too keen on replying to this. Did you work out a way to achieve this or did you go for something like Trello or the likes? Bugs me to no end that no one from MS is replying and that this wasn't in the original scope since companies today use partners and outside collaborators to great extent in so many projects.

We need this ASAP. Restricting the member to view/edit his/her own tasks only is very important.

Would appreciate the ability to allow users from outside the group (and inside our organization) to view but not edit the plan.

• James SchroederJames Schroeder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My company would like to use Planner in place of Boot Camp. We have work we are kicking off in January and definitely would like to have our outside collaborators view/edit and add tasks as needed to achieve the objective of a project scope.

Is there any update on this? It's fantastic that I can invite external members and assign tasks, but seems unfortunate, they can't actually see their assignments...
        Is this still scheduled to work one day, or will this be replaced by other products?

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base