Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Planner?

Email Notifications and Alert Options

OK, so working out loud is good.... to a limit. Please enable settings that reduce the very high spam content currently coming from planner. Not everyone in the group wants to know ever movement on every task. Enable users to subscribe to various types of events on tasks. Hopefully at some time there will be some consistent settings like priority etc, that can be used as user selectable alert filtering.

4,376 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tas Ranson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Partially complete  ·  AdminPlanner Team (Admin, Planner) responded  · 

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your patience! Since our last update, we’ve released a few features to address the feedback around notifications.

We’ve heard loud and clear that comment notification emails should go to only users who are relevant to a given task. Therefore, we’re excited to announce we’ve updated the integration between Planner and Groups so that users following the group associated to the Planner plan will no longer receive a group email in their personal inbox when comments are made for tasks they have never commented on before. Group emails notifications for all task comments in a plan are still sent to the group mailbox. We believe this behavior should ensure comment notification emails are scoped to a more relevant audience of those who have previously commented on the task instead of being sent to all members of the plan.

Additionally, we’ve added more context to the comment notifications users receive from Planner. The emails now contains a subject line referencing the task name, and within the email itself there are deep links to open the task or plan in Planner.

Lastly, we’ve updated the Plan settings so it is clearer what notification options are available and who can change the settings. Within Plan settings we’ve updated the text labels to better explain what each notification settings does, added a link so users can access their personal notification settings (which apply across plans), and included a deep link to Groups for those who want to stop receiving all emails from the group in their inbox.

For more details on these updates, please see our Tech Community blog post here: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2003811

Please let us know if these updates are helpful and continue giving us feedback about how we can improve the Planner notification experience.

Based off the feedback we’ve received so far, we have plans to address the following notification asks in the future:

1. Additional notification settings so you can choose how to receive your notifications (email, mobile push, etc.)
    2. The ability to follow a task or plan and receive notifications when they change
    3. Notifications when you are @mentioned in a task
    4. Notifications within Teams

Cheers,
    The Planner Team

422 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Michael Glanton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 - One notification feature that would be great is that whenever a comment is added to a task that all assigned users can get an email notification even if they haven't commented on it yet. Right now if someone is assigned and doesn't comment they will not get the comment notifications from other users.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please also add an option to email comments to individuals who are assigned to a task

• Joshua Rosenberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Professionals are far too patient with Microsoft's teams. You guys are slow. EU decides and acts faster than you.

Please get further refinement on notifications. Users should be able to independently state whether they want the 7 day heads up, due today, and late notice. (I for one would like to just get late notices.)

It would be nice also for a user to be able to get only late notices, but for all tasks in the group so it is easier for managers to keep track of something slipping, especially if they are managing multiple plans.

• Bill Brennan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One notification feature that would be great is that whenever a comment is added to a task that all assigned users can get an email notification even if they haven't commented on it yet. Right now if someone is assigned and doesn't comment they will not get the comment notifications from other users.

I would like the options to select how often I get notifications - a daily or weekly digest. I do not need a new email every time I add a comment to a task.

@the Planner Team - It is has moved from one extreme to the other. Now there is no update when someone comments on a task that has been created by me. I believe notifications should go to the person who created the task and who the task is assigned to - no matter if you have previously commented on the task or not. We are really trying to use Planner in lieu of other softwares and the features are limiting.

• Martin Dahm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I’d like to have the option to enable/disable email notification when a task assigned to me is changed (see section 2 in Mikes comment below).

Within my team we regularly go through all or some tasks in group meetings. We discuss and comment or add content to tasks and it gets really annoying to get an email every time we add/change something in my tasks during these meeting.

Enable the mechanism but make it optional to receive emails for own tasks.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don’t know why it’s so hard to comprehend this.
        This is the recommended solution that will suit the majority

If any task is assigned to me by owner/project manager

1 - I should not receive email notification to my inbox when I comment. It’s a bit silly and makes no sense. Notifications can still go to plan group inbox which is fine.

2 - when others (including owner) comment or upload a file, check list something, pretty much make any modification to the tasks assigned to me, I should get email notified into my inbox. If task is assigned to multiple users, we all should get notified. Any tasks I’m not assigned to, I don’t want to receive email notifications of them in my inbox however they should still be visible in the group inbox.

3 - the behaviour explained in section 2 works with the current version of planner (August 2018) ONLY if the person assigned the task comments on it. So the workaround is if you want to be notified in your inbox when someone comments on tasks you’ve been assigned, e.g project manager commenting asking why the task has not started, you have to comment with a dot “.” in every new task assigned to you. It’s a bit ridiculous but it works. Also something to note, I tried to enable “follow this plan group in my inbox” option in Planner but that made no difference. Only workaround was to comment on every task I’m assigned to.

Please fix this behaviour as explained in section 2

• Martin Dahm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can only add on to the others requesting an option to enable/disable notifications for comments. It is really annoying to constantly get notifications on comments when I don't need them or want them. The group inbox doesn't need them either. As of now we get spammed with comment notifications in the group inbox and that leads to people ignoring emails in the group inbox or rather filtering them so that they no longer appears at all.

It is good to have the options concerning task-assignment and overdue etc, but I really want the option to choose if I want to get notifications when someone comments a task.

I also want to stress the importance of @mentions, that would enable us to disable notifications for all comments but still be able to notify someone selectively if there is a need for that (push notifications).

I DO NOT WANT TO RECEIVE AN E-MAIL TELLING ME I JUST MADE A COMMENT!!!!!!!! I should only get an email if SOMEONE ELSE makes a comment.

Hi Planner team,

is there any possibility, how to stop alerts ones '' my work'' in concrete task is done? E.i. task to fill some document by multiple people, people are there mentioned in checklist, but also task is assigned to them. But once somebody finalize work, checklist tick as completed, he/she would not need any more notifications about outstanding task.
        Is there any way how to resolve this in planner? It would be good to have @mentioned on the checklist as well.
        Thank you

• Bruno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot believe how messed up the notification system is. What users are asking is pretty straitght forward, though! Come on, Microsoft, you've got to provide something better.
        Is it that hard to set up @mention?!!

• Noah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This update has totally broken notifications for us. While everyone loves the change to when comment emails are sent, task assignment and overdue notifications have totally stopped. Users do not receive emails in their personal inbox or push notifications to the planner app for task assignment. The group inbox receives these but not the person who would care.

Our team is going to try Planner for 3 months, our ability to stay with this has everything to do with the notification feature. Especially we need to @mention in a task and the ability to opt in or out of task notifications.

• Trevor Styler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great feedback since this latest release that I'd like to echo.

Simply, notify in-app only to those who are assigned or following the task with an option to receive e-mails.

• Ricardo Rodrigues commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Planner team for this update. Looking forward to seeing it in action. is there a target date for release?
        Rene's input below is very relevant to make this a strong, useful feature.

• René commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see also a big mismatch:
        1. Someone creates a task and assigns someone
        --> Notification shall go to task creator as a record & assignee
        --> Notification (e-mail) should be a copy of the card not only the information "task assigned"
        2. Someone changes something on the task (due date, description, comment, progress)
        --> Notification shall go to changer as a record & assignee
        3. DueDate is upcoming
        --> notification to assignee
        4. DueDate is late
        --> notification to creator & assignee
        5. Somebody wants to be informed about a certain task or all task
        --> menu to choose to receive all planner information/changes
        --> menu on each task card to say: follow this task (can be done for 1. instead of sending automatically the record to the creator of the task)

I don't see any need for a group message unless somebody really wants it. This just creates a lot of noise in the e-mail inbox. Everyone can look into the planner to see changes.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 21 22

Feedback and Knowledge Base