Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Planner?

Email Notifications and Alert Options

OK, so working out loud is good.... to a limit. Please enable settings that reduce the very high spam content currently coming from planner. Not everyone in the group wants to know ever movement on every task. Enable users to subscribe to various types of events on tasks. Hopefully at some time there will be some consistent settings like priority etc, that can be used as user selectable alert filtering.

4,116 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tas Ranson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Partially complete  ·  AdminPlanner Team (Admin, Planner) responded  · 

Hi everyone,

We wanted to provide an update to let everyone know we’ve finished a few work items and are continuing work to address your feedback. In recent months we’ve launched email notifications for tasks assigned to you and tasks with upcoming due dates, including the ability to choose which notifications you’d like to receive. We have a few more features upcoming in the near future which aim to address common pieces of feedback we’ve received around notifications, including:

1. Adding more clarity to existing notification options available on a per users and per plan basis.
    2. Providing more configuration options for our existing notifications
    3. Improving the task comment notification experience, including adding more context to the notification itself and better scoping the notification audience.

The features above are in addition to ongoing work to enable the notification scenarios previously mentioned in our last update in October 2017. We’ll provide updates here once we start rolling out these changes.

We appreciate all of your feedback, and please continue letting us know how we can improve the notifications experience.

Cheers,
    The Planner Team

390 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dom Roe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are there any updates on this development? I would like to introduce Planner into my business, but cant do that with all the email traffic that it currently creates.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about dating a TASK if something needs to be finished on a bucket item at a sensitive time and date. Why Not just combine ToDo with Planner. then this would be a complete app and would kill all the other apps on the market

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is extremely important - only people assigned to a task should receive notifications about comments. I would also like far more optional notifications to be available for things such as:

- tasks changing status from not started to in progress
        - moving tasks from one bucket to another

• Roger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Last Admin response in March and still no change?! This needs attention immediately. Users assigned to a particular task should be able to choose to communicate within the task's membership- not have every comment delivered to the entire group site membership! Current method adds up to a lot of needlessly wasted time with people dealing with emails they don't need to be. Please fix asap.

• User commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The notification system is awful. We should have the choice as to whether or not email is sent to a group when someone comments. What is particularly annoying is that comments don't remain on the card so if you are trying to add a comment to give detail or to save information, it's useless. Since our system is set to bounce emails from Planner, at least our inboxes aren't being spammed, but it reduces the use of Planner for my team.

• Bruno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe it takes you so long to develop this feature... It's been "partially complete" for more than 2 months!

• Michiel Perdeck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree very strongly with this request. There should be an OPT IN facility so that not everyone has to do detailed configurations to prevent being spammed. The default should be silence!

• René commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

can only support Ricardo's input. There are only the options
        no notification
        everyone in the planner receives all notifications

• Ricardo Rodrigues commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To Planner team: imo, the easiest way to go about fixing this is for the comment to be sent only to the people who have history in that task or, at least, to the person that is currently assigned to it. If easier, then it should be tied to channel subscription: if i subscribe to 1 out of the 5 channels in the Team, then i receive comments only from the planners tied to that channel i subscribe to, and not all tasks from all channels.
        Looking forward to your fix timeline.

• Ricardo Rodrigues commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lahki is absolutely right. There needs to be a way to limit the email notifications going around. Not only does this increase number of emails, worse than that it increases the amount of noise for all the team members. We are using planner in the context of Teams so a notification of a task that should go to a person going to 15 people is nearly a deal breaker.
        This has been in the works for over a year. Any updates on completion?

I'm realy looking forward to "3. Improving the task comment notification experience, including adding more context to the notification itself and better scoping the notification audience."

This will make my use of Planner a lot easier.

• Henrique commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Notification approach of only e-mailing those assigned on a card or mentioned in a comment. Vs all plan members.

• Dipesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Planner does not send notification when due date is modified/updated on an existing task.

• Lakhi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need @mention capability in comments. We need notifications on our mobile app or in TEAMS activity feed if someone comments on a task. If the goal with Teams and Planner is to reduce or eliminate internal emails then email notifications are NOT what we are looking for. I want to use email for external communications only. I want to keep all conversations and comments on Planner tasks in Teams or Planner (preferably Teams, since that is our hub for keeping everyone on track)

• Linda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The notification feature is not even working properly in terms of upcoming due dates for tasks etc. I have been on the phone with my IT vendor and Microsoft and have checked all the appropriate places in order to receive task notifications and are still not receiving any. Also, everyone on the project should not have to get notifications of tasks being completed that they are not even assigned to. I am a huge Basecamp fan and you can assign tasks to a specific person and only the project owner gets notified not everyone on the project. Also, what is the point of me making a comment in Planner and then getting a notification in Outlook about my own comment? It just clutters my inbox. Lastly, with comments you should be able to pick who receives the comment, everyone should not have to see all the comments. You guys have a long ways to go in this area to compete with Basecamp and Trello.

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The: 3. Improving the task comment notification experience, including adding more context to the notification itself and better scoping the notification audience. - is, as many also elude, a real show stopper!!

I suggest making item 3 a priority, as this is stopping people from using the tool!

• Joel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Regarding "3. Improving the task comment notification experience, including adding more context to the notification itself and better scoping the notification audience." Does that include having the ability to turn off the email notifications completely? It's a bit unclear with the wording. Thanks.

• Waine Hanks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hmm. ability to @ message someone like in Teams would be useful. Notifications to appear in a side column like in teams convo's on files...or a small red ! on the plan objects to let you see whats been commented on. Even filter by unseen comments would be good.

I'd echo John's comment below. One of the strengths of the O365 environment is its capacity to reduce internal email; in fact, some users should be able to do away with internal email altogether. I've had to instruct users not to use the Comment field until this is resolved. Really hurts buy-in during what is likely the most crucial phase of the process.

For my use case, I'd be ok with no email notification, just a ping to my Activity feed for updates to cards I am assigned to. If something was really hot, perhaps we could utilize the @[user_name] format to issue an email notification as well.

• Wes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This worked a treat for me, thanks Trey

Trey Johnston commented · April 09, 2018 14:18 ·

We **may** have found a workaround through the office365 outlook app: Scroll down to groups, click on group that is spamming, click on gear at top right, click "manage group email", unselect "receive all conversations and events". Each person getting spammed will need to do this.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 19 20

Feedback and Knowledge Base