Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Planner?

Email Notifications and Alert Options

OK, so working out loud is good.... to a limit. Please enable settings that reduce the very high spam content currently coming from planner. Not everyone in the group wants to know ever movement on every task. Enable users to subscribe to various types of events on tasks. Hopefully at some time there will be some consistent settings like priority etc, that can be used as user selectable alert filtering.

4,781 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tas Ranson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Partially complete  ·  AdminPlanner Team (Admin, Planner) responded  · 

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your patience! Since our last update, we’ve released a few features to address the feedback around notifications.

We’ve heard loud and clear that comment notification emails should go to only users who are relevant to a given task. Therefore, we’re excited to announce we’ve updated the integration between Planner and Groups so that users following the group associated to the Planner plan will no longer receive a group email in their personal inbox when comments are made for tasks they have never commented on before. Group emails notifications for all task comments in a plan are still sent to the group mailbox. We believe this behavior should ensure comment notification emails are scoped to a more relevant audience of those who have previously commented on the task instead of being sent to all members of the plan.

Additionally, we’ve added more context to the comment notifications users receive from Planner. The emails now contains a subject line referencing the task name, and within the email itself there are deep links to open the task or plan in Planner.

Lastly, we’ve updated the Plan settings so it is clearer what notification options are available and who can change the settings. Within Plan settings we’ve updated the text labels to better explain what each notification settings does, added a link so users can access their personal notification settings (which apply across plans), and included a deep link to Groups for those who want to stop receiving all emails from the group in their inbox.

For more details on these updates, please see our Tech Community blog post here: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2003811

Please let us know if these updates are helpful and continue giving us feedback about how we can improve the Planner notification experience.

Based off the feedback we’ve received so far, we have plans to address the following notification asks in the future:

1. Additional notification settings so you can choose how to receive your notifications (email, mobile push, etc.)
    2. The ability to follow a task or plan and receive notifications when they change
    3. Notifications when you are @mentioned in a task
    4. Notifications within Teams

Cheers,
    The Planner Team

456 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Brian Jenkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use Planner to track my own projects, and have given a few people access if they want to review the tasks I'm working on. Since all tasks are assigned to myself, I get a TON of email notifications that I do not need or want. I live in the Plan so I know what's happening at all times. Please allow me to disable all email notifications. Pretty please! This request should be simple to implement.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a way that when I'm setting up a planner site that I can disable email notifications for the people who I have tasked with the project? I'm getting a lot of concerns that there are way to many emails. Once I have set up the planner I can then enable email notifications again??

• Shiann Weiss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Instead of emails - it would be great to incorporate notifications as part of planner tool. For instance, when I log in, it would be great to see a signal on the task itself that a new comment has been made, a new file uploaded, etc. Even if it was similar to your phone where you just see a red circle with a number in it. The number letting you know how many new things are in there. If we had that, it would keep us in the tool and out of email all together.

Seems like you can now get notifications of comments made on Planner tasks in the 'Groups' section on outlook?

Please, when do you plan to have a final solution for this? the whole group shouldn't receive a notification with every comment done.

• JaimeONEill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree 100% to this comment, "The fact that all people assigned to or following a task don't receive notifications when a comment is made is a huge problem for us and is making us considering another platform instead of planner. It must be a really easy fix too? Please give us an update on this."

Could we get an update as to when the features listed are going to be ready:
        1. Additional notification settings so you can choose how to receive your notifications (email, mobile push, etc.)
        2. The ability to follow a task or plan and receive notifications when they change

The fact that all people assigned to or following a task don't receive notifications when a comment is made is a huge problem for us and is making us considering another platform instead of planner. It must be a really easy fix too? Please give us an update on this.

Can we also have the facility to add watchers/followers to tasks as opposed to the person who has the task assigned to them. If I assign a task to someone I often want to be kept informed.

Hi, any plan to add any of those:

or if they are alreday added?

Thanks,
        Ulisses

@mentions are still not listed in the official roadmap. Need action on this, as well as the 'subscribe/follow' functionality ASAP

• Jimmy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our team really needs the functionality to add subscribers / followers per task (regardless of whether they have been assigned), and to have notifications for said task sent to not just the group mailbox, but also to each subscribers' personal inbox.

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Better still, why can't the Planner notifications come up on Windows 10 notifications?

@mentions are fundamental and critical. Without this a PgM can pretty much only cross their fingers and hope that the team is acting on their tasks.

SETTTINGS!! Give us options to turn this stuff on and off depending on our needs.

I agree that users need notifications when a task is commented on. The person assigned to the task needs to be able to know when they have a item added or a comment has been posted.

I'll add my voice to all those below - it's crazy that the assignee of a task doesn't receive an email notification about comments to that task unless they have already commented. This renders the commenting facility within Planner a bit useless, unfortunately - it means every comment in Planner will need to be accompanied by a separate phone call / email to the assignee to keep them in the loop, which defeats the whole purpose.

It should also be possible for the task assigner / manager to link other people to the task and request that they receive notifications for all comments; and - useful for very small groups (but obviously not for larger ones) - to be able to set things up so the whole group is notified about all comments.

• Bill Querry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with everyone that a user should get an email notification if there is a comment made to a task they are assigned to.

• Paul Goldney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was partially complete in June 2018!
        Please hurry up and send notification to people that are assigned to a task (that haven't responded)
        I can't believe the MS BA that designed that thought it was a good idea not to inform the assigned user that someone else has commented on their task

← Previous 1 3 4 5 22 23

Feedback and Knowledge Base