How can we make Planner better?

Email Notifications and Alert Options

OK, so working out loud is good.... to a limit. Please enable settings that reduce the very high spam content currently coming from planner. Not everyone in the group wants to know ever movement on every task. Enable users to subscribe to various types of events on tasks. Hopefully at some time there will be some consistent settings like priority etc, that can be used as user selectable alert filtering.

4,951 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tas Ranson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your patience! Since our last update, we’ve released a few features to address the feedback around notifications.

We’ve heard loud and clear that comment notification emails should go to only users who are relevant to a given task. Therefore, we’re excited to announce we’ve updated the integration between Planner and Groups so that users following the group associated to the Planner plan will no longer receive a group email in their personal inbox when comments are made for tasks they have never commented on before. Group emails notifications for all task comments in a plan are still sent to the group mailbox. We believe this behavior should ensure comment notification emails are scoped to a more relevant audience of those who have previously commented on the task instead of being sent to all members of the plan.

Additionally, we’ve added more context to the comment notifications users receive from Planner. The emails now contains a subject line referencing the task name, and within the email itself there are deep links to open the task or plan in Planner.

Lastly, we’ve updated the Plan settings so it is clearer what notification options are available and who can change the settings. Within Plan settings we’ve updated the text labels to better explain what each notification settings does, added a link so users can access their personal notification settings (which apply across plans), and included a deep link to Groups for those who want to stop receiving all emails from the group in their inbox.

For more details on these updates, please see our Tech Community blog post here: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2003811

Please let us know if these updates are helpful and continue giving us feedback about how we can improve the Planner notification experience.

Based off the feedback we’ve received so far, we have plans to address the following notification asks in the future:

1. Additional notification settings so you can choose how to receive your notifications (email, mobile push, etc.)
2. The ability to follow a task or plan and receive notifications when they change
3. Notifications when you are @mentioned in a task
4. Notifications within Teams

Cheers,
The Planner Team

470 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jorge Carvalho commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ mentions and task level control over notifications. A "Watch" type features where each user can choose when to get and when to stop notifications from a specific task would be ideal.
    Also, when someone closes a task you were waiting for, it would be great to be notified

• Tom Simpson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to get a notification in Teams for tasks that are not assigned to anyone.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

you should receceived a notification when somebody write a comment in a task that you have assigned or if somedoby mention to me in a comment.

Any update on this please? Hopefully this should be an easy one to rectify? Key thing is that all comments on tasks get notified as a default but then folks can turn them off if they don't want them? It seems odd that you need to comment first to get notifications. If these notifications could pop up in Teams too then that would be good.

• Gunter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You should get comment notifications if you're assigned to the task. Not if you've commented before. And you should easily configure this notification setting for yourself.

I run a daily stand-up with my team. I want to use the Planner as an electronic form of post-it notes (Kanban board) and don't need the team to receive task notifications. It would be VERY useful if I could switch off all outgoing notifications as the Plan owner.

• markcm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Regarding the ability to unsubscribe to email alerts from message comments, I find reports of people struggling with this "auto-spam" function for the past few years. We MUST have the ability to unsubscribe from message alerts on a per message thread basis. Even after un-assigning someone from a task, they continue to get updates if they previously commented in the task's message thread. Step it up Microsoft, give TEAM users the ability to unsubscribe alerts from discrete task message threads without leaving the group.

• James Hereford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just FYI, as of today I am deprecating Planner within my organization due to a failure to properly address this issue. Using @mentions within comments of a Planner task is a critical feature and major oversight on the part of the design team. Without it there is no way for our PgMs easily have a conversation with the team within the tool about the status of their work.

Additionally the failure to send notifications to assignees when a comment is inserted meant that our PgMs had to manually reach out to them

Finally, failure to adequately integrate with Project means using Planner required our PgMs to track task status an information in two separate places.

Great tool, high potential layout and UI, poor implementation.

We would find it really helpful to have a choice of email notification when a task that you have been assigned to is moved to another due date. At the moment you can only choose to get an email when it is assigned to you.

Hello, any updates on this please? Particularly notifications within planner and @mentions. Thanks!

• Shiann Weiss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

you should get comment notifications if you're assigned to the task. Not if you've commented before.

• Brian Jenkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use Planner to track my own projects, and have given a few people access if they want to review the tasks I'm working on. Since all tasks are assigned to myself, I get a TON of email notifications that I do not need or want. I live in the Plan so I know what's happening at all times. Please allow me to disable all email notifications. Pretty please! This request should be simple to implement.

Is there a way that when I'm setting up a planner site that I can disable email notifications for the people who I have tasked with the project? I'm getting a lot of concerns that there are way to many emails. Once I have set up the planner I can then enable email notifications again??

• Shiann Weiss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Instead of emails - it would be great to incorporate notifications as part of planner tool. For instance, when I log in, it would be great to see a signal on the task itself that a new comment has been made, a new file uploaded, etc. Even if it was similar to your phone where you just see a red circle with a number in it. The number letting you know how many new things are in there. If we had that, it would keep us in the tool and out of email all together.

Seems like you can now get notifications of comments made on Planner tasks in the 'Groups' section on outlook?

Please, when do you plan to have a final solution for this? the whole group shouldn't receive a notification with every comment done.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 23 24

Feedback and Knowledge Base