How can we improve Planner?

Email Notifications and Alert Options

OK, so working out loud is good.... to a limit. Please enable settings that reduce the very high spam content currently coming from planner. Not everyone in the group wants to know ever movement on every task. Enable users to subscribe to various types of events on tasks. Hopefully at some time there will be some consistent settings like priority etc, that can be used as user selectable alert filtering.

2,715 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tas Ranson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    In development  ·  AdminPlanner Team (Admin, Planner) responded  · 

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the feedback! Based off all the comments, we’re focusing on email notifications for the following scenarios:

1. When a task is assigned to you
    2. Changes on a task assigned to you
    3. Comments on a task assigned to you
    4. When you are @ mentioned in a task comment

Our team is currently working on email notifications when a task is assigned to you, and have started planning for the other scenarios. We’re also considering notifications for when you choose to follow a task.

We will continue to monitor the comments here and provide ongoing updates. We appreciate your feedback, so please continue to let us know how you’ll use notifications and if we’re missing anything!

250 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to add members to follow a task would be great for us to ensure the person who has discussed the requirement gets updated as they are not always the one creating them

• Jamie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really want to love Planner as I want to keep everything Microsoft based--but, I really need the ability to set email notifications and reminders. This is the only down-side which is actually very important to me because I manage multiple lofty tasks.

• Jared Mahoney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using Teams as our primary internal communications platform, it would be very helpful to have this functionality extended to Teams. Allow us get messages/notifications in Teams for all four scenarios listed above, please.

• Hatanaka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are useing Microsoft Planner in Teams which Guest user joins.
        If we leave a comment in a task page, the comment will be sent as E-mail to all team members including non-assined users.

However, Guest users cannot understand the message because they cannot see task.

So, we need the following solutions like below.

1, To let guest user to be able to see the Planner
        2, To stop sending E-mail to not assigned user when host user a comment.

• Wes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this in effect?

We are noticing we are being notified when tasks are assigned in Planner. When we go to https://tasks.office.com, click on the settings icon in the top right corner, select notifications and then we see a checkbox for "someone assigns a task to me."

• Tomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys, I do not think they will reply to us, however based on other experiences with MS, I would not expect a change within a year from now for normal users.

It has to be developed, tested, gone through the circles and then rolled out to the tenants which itself is two months sometimes.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please also add option to follow the task as already requested by others. As a PM I wan to know which task, what and when was changed on the task without going to Planner and manually look for every change. Please check other applications for inspiration, no rocket science. Otherwise this tool is not very useful. Of course, would be nice to know estimated timeline, if we should invest to other products or wait for your update.

• Tomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+ when task assigned to you is overdue

Put all the options on some page where user can tick what he wants to get and what not.

DO NOT hard code it again as it is now !!!!!! PLEASE

I also support notification for tasks you follow.

BTW I think when task is assigned to you, you get the mail even today or ?

• .Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Microsoft team. this functionality is in every project management application out there. Very disappointed that this was requested two years ago and this is still in development.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The admin of the project should have the option to choose whether they want to send notifications or not, for all points (1 to 4).
        And most importantly, notifications should not go to everyone and spam their mailbox.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes it would be interesting how fast new improvements are developed, because the original idea/feedback from tas Ranson is almost a year ago!!

So far in my opinion, without email notification and a few other improvements, MS Planner is quite useless!

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When will it be fixed? I'm on a call with Microsoft Support and have already been transferred 4 times and waiting for another transfer for someone to then call back with a possible answer.

• Tiff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

*If emails are going to go to the inbox that having the plan name in the subject line is a need.

*Being able to click directly from the email info that task/card would be great.

*Notification options are a must. I can't use planner when notifications on every card go to an entire group all the time.

Is there a time frame for when these modifications will be available?

• Michael Gaskin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dealbreaker. No way we can suffer to have the entire group get emailed every time there is a comment on any card in the plan. It should only notify the assignee of that card.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13

Feedback and Knowledge Base