How can we improve Planner?

Email Notifications and Alert Options

OK, so working out loud is good.... to a limit. Please enable settings that reduce the very high spam content currently coming from planner. Not everyone in the group wants to know ever movement on every task. Enable users to subscribe to various types of events on tasks. Hopefully at some time there will be some consistent settings like priority etc, that can be used as user selectable alert filtering.

2,439 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tas RansonTas Ranson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

216 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a tipping point for us in our decision to use Google or Microsoft. Any updates for October 2017?

• Ken BoydKen Boyd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not being able to disable the email alerts is really a show stopper in using this. Not to mention annoying

Everyone gets emails when tasks are assigned, but nobody gets an email when I assign them a task.

• FaraFara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is very inconsistent. A month ago I created a new plan, without clicking that Notification check box (as in this article https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Get-email-about-your-tasks-and-plans-cce223d6-b0ae-43cf-a080-266e2414a859), all members received task notification when it is assigned to them. Only 3 members in this Plan.

But just today I created a new plan with total 10 members. Out of 6 members that I've assigned tasks, only 1 received the task notification. I had to contact the member one by one to ensure they received the notification. An unnecessary task for PM. -,-

I also remember that sometimes some direct reply from email notification didn't go through to the comments. If Microsoft is interested to get this sample, you can email me and I'll give the screenshot.

• Sea ModeSea Mode commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel this is a huge priority for the wider adoption of the app. It has to help the users follow the tasks they want in the way they choose. Not sure how it got put on the backburner for over a year...

Anyway, I would suggest to have the user be able to program his notifications both in general for the whole plan (morning-afternoon/daily/weekly/etc. summary email), as well as mark specific tasks for closer following (instant notifications). Also be able to choose which types of actions trigger the notifications (new comments, re-assigned, checklist items changed, completion, etc.)

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ideally I'd like to be able to tag a group member in a comment so they receive a notification. For example I could do an "@Bob Manager" and that person would get an email with my comment.

• Greg DurenGreg Duren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

E-mails to assigned users and users "following" the task would be good. I trialed Planner on a project and uncontrollable spam blasts is #1 reason why I'm not using it for anything else right now.

• Ingo WeyelIngo Weyel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our Customer cannot use planner (with teams or standalone) if the notifications not working as described.
        Any actual Feedback for us??

• MM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add option to only send notifications to assigned users. (No, I don't need an email notification if i'm the only assigned user ;)..)

• Hesham FawazHesham Fawaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we need this asap
        its really disturbing to receive an email regarding every single detail in the plan

• James BibbyJames Bibby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree, am finding this a problem. My preferred behaviour is that the comment just stays with the task unless you specify who is to receive the comment when you are creating it.

• BartBart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

any update on this ? super annoying not being able to disable the mails

My company finally got excited to try Teams. Decided they wanted a weekly digest of pending tasks emailed to each user. Someone mentioned a popular competitor product is able to do this. Guess what everyone is excited to try out now?

• Ky PKy P commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if we could get "email blast settings" so we get "daily" or "weekly" or "instant" updates. If you do not create the plan, you cannot control wether these plans notify you. BUT they also include all of this information in the "GROUPS" at the bottom of the Outlook sidebar...

so if they show up there, why do they also completely bloat your inbox? isn't the information already present in one place, and not necessary to flood your inbox?

this is definitely important.

• Jon WibergJon Wiberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Visual StudioOnline, Jira etc has a multitude of options for manageing notifications to different scenarios
        for instance Visual Studio Online:
        Following specific work items

Generic subscriptions (also configurable for filtering, deliver to, Roles, checkbx for skip initiator)
        A Work item is created
        A Work item is changed
        A work item is deleted
        A work item is restored ...

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"thanks for all the feedback. We've started work on improving the options here."
        17 months later, I have the same issue. We won't be using planner until this is resolved.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11

Feedback and Knowledge Base