How can we improve Planner?

Instead of 1 to 1, allow Groups to have many Plans

Right now, groups have a 1 to 1 relationship (1 Group = 1 Plan), would be nice for a single group to have multiple plans

1,525 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Brent EllisBrent Ellis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

46 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • HeberHeber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As mentioned by others the ability to fully see the sub plans created in Microsoft Teams is THE main reason our company as not adopted Planner to fuller extent. This needs to be there. Please really consider this feature!

• Jed ShermanJed Sherman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If tasks created in Teams Channels could roll-up into the My Tasks Planner Hub, we would be in business. Currently, you risk losing tasks, or not being able to sort them effectively when you have tasks created in a Teams Channel vs in Planner. Also, it looks like depending on the tasks origin and the application you are in, you lose the ability to comment on a task... which is a bummer.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This one has become critical since the release of Microsoft Teams - with how the Teams/Planner integration currently looks (with the ability to create a plan per channel) it just makes plain sense to be able to have multiple plans per Group/Team. Although it's possible to do at the moment from within Teams, the fact you can't see all plans associated with a given Group/Team from within Planner is painful, clunky and confusing for end users. While these kind of pain points exist there will continue to be a lot of Trello and Slack users not convinced by the insane potential of the Office 365 productivity options.

• WietzeWietze commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you have MS Teams turned on, then you can have multiple plans per team. I have created one plan per channel.

• David EDavid E commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This "close-but-not-quite-there" functionality is what keeps MS apps like these in shadows, and then on to extinction. A shame, since it so close. We now have multiple channels and multiple plans, but why is a plan in Team not the same as a plan in Planner, or at least a sub-plan so the the hub shows them in a separate graph? For an individual the tasks do show up and can be separated by plan, but not at a team level. If Microsoft intends to further develop the team/planner model they must make the planner in each team-based channel distinguishable in Planner- they are different plans, right? And, given the time and effort to maintain a plan, you really should be able to integrate an existing plan into a team- teams change, after all. Tie up these loose ends and you have a really functional app.

We are one team and have five Trello Boards (one for each of our projects). This is a blocker for our enterprise and will be sticking with Trello until Planner adds this functionality.

• andrew marshandrew marsh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams creates a plan per channel, those channel plans need to have a way to be consunmed in Planner (just need a sub menu under each group on th eleft hand side in planner to access the channel plans if they are created in teams)

• LuboLubo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is needed for many people. As we use daily groups teams and planner we need create more plans for one group thanks for any help

• Purple ManPurple Man commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We found that within a Office 365 Group each Teams Channel can have its own plan. This means that it is possible to have multiple plans per team. Just go ahead and create a new channel in Teams and then add a new planner tab. This allows you to create a new plan. Please note that this plan does not show up in de web interface of Planner under the Planner Hub, but you can access the plan through the web interface by using the link in Teams.

• Randy MandelRandy Mandel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have been getting around this by creating a new bucket for each new project that a single team covers but this is getting tedious. It would be much better to be able to associate a single team to multiple projects. Along with this, I would like to see my group's activity across multiple projects. It is hard to see what their workload looks like when I have to go into multiple plans to see that. A manager view that gives me the same view across multiple plans that each of my team members have for their own work would be great.

Great idea. I posted something similar. One team that has a recurring project each quarter. I want unique project names but not a new team each time.

Please let groups die. It is overly confusing people and is not useful at all. Groups absolutely sucks. Teams and Yammer are the way to go. It is time for Sharepoint to be phased out.

This is very crucial! We have about 600 Project each year, cannot have 600 Groups... Many thanks!

• Phil HawkshawPhil Hawkshaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is critical. Groups are very team driven but Plans in planner are very process or subject driven. Multiple Plans per group is essential otherwise we end up with lots of groups with docs spread all over the place for a single team. Also tasks often need moving between plans in a Group (team). This approach would also work better for the Teams application too which is focused around Groups too.

Simple solution: Have a folder per Plan in the Group. Have a folder per bucket in the Plan folder. Solves the horrible flat folder structure improsed on Groups by Planner as well as the multi planner board in a Group issue too.

• BjörnBjörn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the idea, that I get a new group for every plan. But I agree, a group should be able to have more plans.
        So what about "Master-Groups" and "Sub-Groups"?

• @DavidMcKnight@DavidMcKnight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With Microsoft Teams implementation of Planner, they are almost there. You can create many channels for a Team. Each team is attached to a group. Each channel can have its own plan. Unfortunately, if you have an existing plan with that group it is not available through Teams -- and the Teams implementation of Planner is sort of a Planner Lite with fewer features, which I find very frustrating. Also, you can't currently view these additional plans inside the Planner Hub; only within Teams. Still a long way to go to make this functional.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base