How can we improve Planner?

Instead of 1 to 1, allow Groups to have many Plans

Right now, groups have a 1 to 1 relationship (1 Group = 1 Plan), would be nice for a single group to have multiple plans

1,921 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Brent EllisBrent Ellis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

60 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • S. SlavovS. Slavov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Trying to do this was just nerve-wracking. Figuring out that it's not even possible is simply disappointing. Why am i able to create multiple plans in one Group (Teams channel), but only be able to see one from the Planner Hub...

• Franz MltnrFranz Mltnr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

as said below, the problem seems not to be that a group cannot have multiple plans; in Teams you can create multiple. Just fix Planner hub accordingly to show them also

• Jeremiah BenjaminJeremiah Benjamin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As others have said, Planner should exist in a way that's not tied to Groups. I envision it more like OneNote, where I can invite people whether it's in a Group, SharePoint, or just OneDrive.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe I'm in the same boat here. I went to create a new plan today from the planner view (my team works in sprints and I'd like to have the old planner for historical data and the new planner for each sprint) and it created an entire new site, group email, planner etc. I ended up deleting the whole thing and having to create a bunch of historical buckets under the one planner so that I could plan my new sprint and not lose my historical sprint data. Why would it create a new group / team site when you just need another planner?

We would use this product a lot more if it didn't create a new group whenever a new plan is created. Would also like to use planner in SharePoint Site Collections and subsites that don't have a group associated with it.

Just remove the Planner tied to groups already, this product could be a gold mine if it wasn't tied to groups and was just easily Create plans on the fly and invite anyone and everyone too it without having the baggage of a group to go along with it. Same could be said for Teams and everything else. Make it optional to tie a SharePoint site to a Team, or something. This having something for everything gets confusing over times and adds too much wasted overhead and Object Creep. If teams was stand alone it would be much nicer. Same with Planner, Same with Groups. I dunno, this whole everything is everything I just don't like. Cause not only do you make it too much, you also limit your design teams on what they want to do. Hence why Teams still hasn't deployed external user access because of the integration issues.

• Matt BranchMatt Branch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Integrating MS Teams and being able to see Plans from both MS Teams and Planner would seemingly be the best solution. MS Teams already allows for multiple plans for one team but it's not clear why the Teams plans are not visible in Planner.

• Phillip HenryPhillip Henry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Take a look at Task World and consider very seriously about take several pages form their book!! Planner falls well below par of even the most basic of task management tools on the market.

• Phillip HenryPhillip Henry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think what would be easier is to be able to have several boards per plan and be able to see analytics for that Plan which includes all the boards. Gantt chart per plan showing all boards would also be nice!!

This an issue today, we wanted to use MS Teams, creating one team and creating multiple Planner tabs but once you go to your MS Planner you dont find the plans and tasks anymore . you can get to them from Teams but it's confusing. Each plan has it's own unique URL ID, different from the URL ID of the Team created in planner (confusing!!)

Could you please tell us some updating...?

Are you going to work on it...? Please tell us something asap!

Regards,

• HeberHeber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As mentioned by others the ability to fully see the sub plans created in Microsoft Teams is THE main reason our company as not adopted Planner to fuller extent. This needs to be there. Please really consider this feature!

• Jed ShermanJed Sherman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If tasks created in Teams Channels could roll-up into the My Tasks Planner Hub, we would be in business. Currently, you risk losing tasks, or not being able to sort them effectively when you have tasks created in a Teams Channel vs in Planner. Also, it looks like depending on the tasks origin and the application you are in, you lose the ability to comment on a task... which is a bummer.

This one has become critical since the release of Microsoft Teams - with how the Teams/Planner integration currently looks (with the ability to create a plan per channel) it just makes plain sense to be able to have multiple plans per Group/Team. Although it's possible to do at the moment from within Teams, the fact you can't see all plans associated with a given Group/Team from within Planner is painful, clunky and confusing for end users. While these kind of pain points exist there will continue to be a lot of Trello and Slack users not convinced by the insane potential of the Office 365 productivity options.

• WietzeWietze commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you have MS Teams turned on, then you can have multiple plans per team. I have created one plan per channel.

• David EDavid E commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This "close-but-not-quite-there" functionality is what keeps MS apps like these in shadows, and then on to extinction. A shame, since it so close. We now have multiple channels and multiple plans, but why is a plan in Team not the same as a plan in Planner, or at least a sub-plan so the the hub shows them in a separate graph? For an individual the tasks do show up and can be separated by plan, but not at a team level. If Microsoft intends to further develop the team/planner model they must make the planner in each team-based channel distinguishable in Planner- they are different plans, right? And, given the time and effort to maintain a plan, you really should be able to integrate an existing plan into a team- teams change, after all. Tie up these loose ends and you have a really functional app.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base