Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Planner?

Instead of 1 to 1, allow Groups to have many Plans

Right now, groups have a 1 to 1 relationship (1 Group = 1 Plan), would be nice for a single group to have multiple plans

2,991 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Brent Ellis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Partially complete  ·  AdminPlanner Team (Admin, Planner) responded  · 

Thank you for your feedback!

As an update, this feature is still in the works. However, we now allow users to create multiple plans within a Team in Microsoft Teams. You can access all your plans from Teams within the Planner web app. On the Planner hub, you’ll see plans from Teams included within the Recent plans and All plans sections, as well as their associated team and channel information.

Here’s a post with more information: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Planner-Blog/Access-Plans-from-Microsoft-Teams-in-Planner-apps/ba-p/159141

We are continuing work to alleviate this pain point, and appreciate your comments and patience!

Cheers,
    The Planner Team

101 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm a manager. My group has 24 projects right now. Yeah, that's a lot, which is why I need electronic help! In addition to having multiple plans per group, it would be nice to be able to sort them the way I can sort tasks (Kanban-style). I'd like labels I can use for priority and buckets I can use for stage in the pipeline.

• Vincenzo Rispoli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Waiting for this feature! Any update about a possible target date?
        The plan in our team is full of tasks and bucketsand is not manageable anymore!!

• Nick Brooks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be hugely valuable for our cross-functional team. Adding a new group per planner is simply not a viable approach, we're trying to consolidate teams, groups as much as possible to reduce complexity.

• Joshua Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Planner Team - We are using Teams, O365 Groups, and Planner as a way to manage department level projects and activity. This would be really helpful. Are you able to provide an update on it at all?

• Kasper Nielse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, the whole thing about creating an office 365 group for every plan is an absolutely nightmare from a data retention point of view. Instead of having 5-6 closely controlled Office 365 groups. We now have hundreds of groups, one for each plan. And absolutely no overview if people use them to store data outside of Planner.

• Fabrice Romelard [MVP] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks
        The plan creation from Teams is not so logical, but anyway it's working well and we can retrieve the other plans after creation into planner web site :)

• Pablo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, just seems that this improvement shouldn’t be that hard to do. Not sure why Planner was launched limiting one plan only for one group.

• Spencer Stewart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make this feature available for organizations whose users are not licensed for Teams. We are waiting to push adoption of Planner until individual O365 groups can have multiple plans.

• Kasper Nielse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Much appreciated. But now the biggest problem is that all attachments are put into the root folder of the Office 365 group. This is getting totally unmanageable with so many plans for a single group.

• Charles Roddie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand the Admin comment about "plans from Teams". Are these different or identical to plans not from Teams? Are these associated with a Teams channel? This suggests an architectural problem: groups are something universal to O365, but subgroups called "channels" are tied to one O365 app only.

• Edua commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like how the governance is starting to centralise from Teams rather than driven from each of the apps. Is there availability in central admin to force users only to provision further Plans, OneNotes, SharePoint sites, O365 groups via Teams? It would lead to tidy O365 groups governance, and would allow for a focused rollout strategy. The fact that users can provision via these apps creates silos and it becomes a maze for them to find their content.

• WebSolprov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a definite must, as otherwise its so difficult to manage access to Planner unless you can add groups instead of individual members. This functionality exists elsewhere; stop trying to reinvent the wheel every time. You should have based this off of a Sharepoint derivative platform as a base framework then all of these ideas would already exist.

Hi Planner Team...so, you started thinking about this in May 2016...I can't find instructions for grouping plans (folders?) so where is your thinking on this these days?

• Secure Perimeter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature looks to be partially complete as per

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Planner-Blog/Access-Plans-from-Microsoft-Teams-in-Planner-apps/ba-p/159141

I confirmed, Plans I created inside the Teams client now show up as their own Plans in the Planner web app with visual indications they are part of an existing Team/Office 365 Group.

However, creating a new plan in the Planner web app still creates a new Office 365 Group. To complete this feature, creating a new Plan should allow us to specify if the new plan should be part of an existing Office 365 group, similarly to how Teams asks us whether or not we want to create a new Office 365 group or join an existing one.

• Chaz Weber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this? Acknowledgement was provided 2 years ago. This would be great for teams that have several bits of small projects to track. Larger projects, I agree, should have separate groups.

How our dept handled this....

First, we created our Department Group.
        Next, we created multiple teams working on various projects. Rather than creating a new "Plan" for these teams, we selected "Existing plan". That way, all plans/tasks show up in our main group's planner.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base