How can we make Planner better?

Instead of 1 to 1, allow Groups to have many Plans

Right now, groups have a 1 to 1 relationship (1 Group = 1 Plan), would be nice for a single group to have multiple plans

3,026 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Brent Ellis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  AdminPlanner Team (Product Manager, Planner) responded  · 

!! You can now create a new plan within an existing group!!

Once you open the “New Plan” dialog just select the link to add to an existing group. Your new plan will then be added to that group, leveraging the existing group infrastructure.

For more info, checkout the support documentation: https://support.office.com/en-US/article/create-a-plan-in-microsoft-planner-93e65b03-6fac-4661-a502-e3161475ab93

108 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • James Ward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs more thought. The intuitive way to use this is with one level of project managers contributing to a higher level programme. As a result this should integrate to Project properly (another topic, I realise) but critically we need to be able to report by dashboard that collates all plans in the group to a single overview.

This would give you a much better understanding of workloads as they will be in context of other sub-projects rather than in isolation.

Consider my situation.
    I have an Engineer, Market lead and Ops lead. They all have their own plan to cover the work they're coordinating, however:
    - They are also resources on each others' plans (Ops lead will be working on an Engineer's task and vice versa)
    - Each PM also shares cross-stream resource across the business, so will need to understand how individuals are loaded across all 3 sub-plans.

Currently there's no way to do this aside from having 1 plan that's used by all 3 leads, however with the volume of tasks that's not practical. I also need ownership of the plan by each lead, they shouldn't have to share a single board.

There is another suggestion that would also cover this by having multiple boards across a plan:
    https://planner.uservoice.com/forums/330525-microsoft-planner-feedback-forum/suggestions/13490136-multiple-boards-per-plan

Given the progress on this (multiple plans per group) I don't anticipate the multiple board idea to be implemented any time soon.

I'm desperate to get people on board with this to offer a consolidated approach to project/task management across the business, but when these obvious omissions are here, the idea gets picked apart instantly and people revert back to Excel, Basecamp, Asana etc.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We also have the Group creation restriction so this feature doesn't provide value unless this issue is addressed. And we have no plans to allow users to create Groups on their own.

• Erin Scupham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I echo the anonymous comment a few posts down. Unfortunately this doesn't work for our users as we have group creation restricted. Could this functionality be offered in another manner for organizations who restrict group creation?

• Roberto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great news!
    In the support article it says “Remember that when you make a plan public or private, you also make the Office 365 Group public or private.”
    Does it mean that if I have ten private plans in the same group and then I create a public plan then all the group becomes public? Thank you

This is great for new projects. Is there a way to move existing projects into other groups?

• Timmy Tandian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for realizing this feature!!
    By the way, does anybody know if there is any easy way to see the list of plans that a group has?

Bit of inconsistent behaviour I noticed. We have restricted the creation of new Office 365 Groups via an Azure AD setting, so only a specific group is allowed to created new Unified Groups (as per https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/admin/create-groups/manage-creation-of-groups?view=o365-worldwide).

Where the ability to create new UG's is surfaced across the office apps, for example in Outlook ('New Group'), in Teams ('Join or Create a Team'), or in Planner ('New Plan'), users not in said group receive an error message "Your organization's global admin has turned off the ability to create new Plans and Office 365 Groups" which is as documented.

Therefore users wo are prevented from creating new UG's by this Azure AD setting cannot create new plans within an existing group, since that requires first clicking on the 'New Plan' button (which immediately throws the mentioned error) followed by clicking on 'Add to an existing Office 365 Group'. They can however still add plans to existing groups via the Teams UI (new tab in any channel > Planner app> create a new plan).

On a separate but related note, I noticed that when UG's are created via the admin portal, or by New-UnifiedGroup (as we routinely do in order to enforce our internal management standards upon them), the user who creates them is added as a group owner, but not as a group member. I thought the latter would be implied by the former (as the Teams UI suggests when managing Team membership - each user is listed as one or the other; never both), but it seems not. If you are not a member in addition to being an owner, you will be unable to see the group under 'All plans' in the Planner UI, and you will be unable to add new plans to the group via the Teams UI as above.

I'm a manager. My group has 24 projects right now. Yeah, that's a lot, which is why I need electronic help! In addition to having multiple plans per group, it would be nice to be able to sort them the way I can sort tasks (Kanban-style). I'd like labels I can use for priority and buckets I can use for stage in the pipeline.

• Vincenzo Rispoli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Waiting for this feature! Any update about a possible target date?
    The plan in our team is full of tasks and bucketsand is not manageable anymore!!

• Nick Brooks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be hugely valuable for our cross-functional team. Adding a new group per planner is simply not a viable approach, we're trying to consolidate teams, groups as much as possible to reduce complexity.

• Joshua Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Planner Team - We are using Teams, O365 Groups, and Planner as a way to manage department level projects and activity. This would be really helpful. Are you able to provide an update on it at all?

• Kasper Nielse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, the whole thing about creating an office 365 group for every plan is an absolutely nightmare from a data retention point of view. Instead of having 5-6 closely controlled Office 365 groups. We now have hundreds of groups, one for each plan. And absolutely no overview if people use them to store data outside of Planner.

• Fabrice Romelard [MVP] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks
    The plan creation from Teams is not so logical, but anyway it's working well and we can retrieve the other plans after creation into planner web site :)

• Pablo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, just seems that this improvement shouldn’t be that hard to do. Not sure why Planner was launched limiting one plan only for one group.

• Spencer Stewart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make this feature available for organizations whose users are not licensed for Teams. We are waiting to push adoption of Planner until individual O365 groups can have multiple plans.

• Kasper Nielse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Much appreciated. But now the biggest problem is that all attachments are put into the root folder of the Office 365 group. This is getting totally unmanageable with so many plans for a single group.

• Charles Roddie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand the Admin comment about "plans from Teams". Are these different or identical to plans not from Teams? Are these associated with a Teams channel? This suggests an architectural problem: groups are something universal to O365, but subgroups called "channels" are tied to one O365 app only.

• Edua commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like how the governance is starting to centralise from Teams rather than driven from each of the apps. Is there availability in central admin to force users only to provision further Plans, OneNotes, SharePoint sites, O365 groups via Teams? It would lead to tidy O365 groups governance, and would allow for a focused rollout strategy. The fact that users can provision via these apps creates silos and it becomes a maze for them to find their content.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base