Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Planner?

Gantt chart view

I want to be able to make tasks dependent on other tasks, and see them in a Gantt chart view.

5,265 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Robert McLaws shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

303 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mario H. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gantt chart view not only at the Plan level but also at the Planner hub level where i can select multiple plans ans "overlay/side-by-side"-them so i can see my tasks, if they are overlapping, kind of resource availability.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This might be a deal breaker for us as well. Please prioritize this functionality.

• Kunal Ashar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sadly, this turned out to be a deal-breaker for my organization. A much-needed feature that, after 2 years, it *STILL in "Tell us more" is likely not going anywhere fast. WIth Project Online too nowhere near being integrated into O365, it looks like the MS team simply isn't moving fast enough for the industry or for its paying customers.

We moved to Asana, and will likely start moving out our other apps from O365 to other tools.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a deal breaker for us as an organisation. Planner MUST have a Gannt view within the tool to be of any use. It's an easy thing to implement - look at Instagannt for Asana or the Timeline view within Monday.com. The truth is that the majority of orgs do not organise in sprints because they are not delivering digital products. Boards are great for entering tasks but terrible for looking at overall progress against schedule in a waterfall project.

• Ian Caldwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gantt charts are available in Sharepoint using the Tasks app - so, this function just needs to be extended to Planner's user-friendly interface!

• Joshua Rosenberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am not sure what kind of "tell us more" is this. Just see how Wrike does it, and do the same. Simple as that. You are wasting time. :D

• Andreas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Something that I have always found cumbersome about gant views is that when you get like five or more tasks in one lane it gets cluttered and unreadable. If you make some kind of cant view I would like to have the option to expand and contract tasks in a lane to show all or just group together in one as "multple tasks".

Have you looked at the Gantt charts and timeline features in Wrike? I've been using Wrike for about a year, and am migrating to Office 365 for all of my business operations, primarily because Wrike doesn't have a calendar that meets my needs. However, their project management approach and execution offer some great opportunities for managing projects. Please check out their solutions.

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Which form of feedback would be of the greatest help in the development of this suggestion? Mock-ups? Process diagrams? Justifications? Use Cases?

I have several colleagues who would love to use the functionality, yet can understand the ambiguity from a development perspective (which card attributes relate to Gantt chart display? Should the Gantt option appear as a button that will load a page? What are the default and maximum timespans visible on a page? (I am thinking of SharePoint Gantt limitations here).

• Maciej commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The gantt graphs are used to show in more transparent way flow of the project. If tasks are dependant there should be a way to connect them. The bars should change colours like when green task is completed, orange in progress and red late. Inside the bar could be percentage of subtask realisation. In my organisation most people do it with Excel and colour of cell which is ancient history. All the data is there and it is hard to understand why it takes so long. My organisation consider both Google and Mixrosoft. Corresponding solutions are checked and smartsheets and other from Gsuits have those graphs. Give yourself chance to compete and add Gant graphs.

This was as well an idea in our team, where specific tasks can only start, when another task is already done.

It could be realized if every task would could at least be connected to one prior and/or following task. May be some sort of 1:N or N:1 connection.

IF done like this our employees could see there as well dependencies why specific tasks would need to be done first, without preparing a complete Project-SharePoint in the first place.

Simply put, there must be a way to add a view to the schedule section that allows you to looks at tasks as a timeline or gantt view. right now there are only apps/plug-ins that cost orgs more $ and work inconsistently. If these peeps (apps4.pro Planner Gantt) can make it work simply through an extension, surely MS can do it in Planner? The tool is just not very effective at planning without it.

• Josh Hyland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A Gantt chart view would be great for us to monitor high-level projects and tasks across the business.

We have too many multi-day, simultaneous, overlapping projects and tasks for the schedule view to accommodate in month and date view.

• Char D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I started to use Planner but wishing I had a Gantt chart. Excel is not the easiest. There is an app that coordinates with Chrome and Google Drive - This is exactly what I'd like to see with Microsoft Planner.

Gantter Project Management
        offered by www.gantter.com

• Dave B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From their roadmap...

Timeline view in Microsoft Planner
        Display and share views of Planner tasks on a timeline
        Estimated Release: Q1 CY2019
        Feature ID: 14707
        Added to Roadmap: 06/13/2017
        Last modified : 06/14/2018
        Tags: O365, Planner

• Amy Straley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The calendar view today is close but not quite there....imagine all tasks on the left and the dates across the top...

• Jens Ole Weber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes really needed.
        Further feature would be great to see a forcast of the impact on the dependent object in a graphical way before confirming the date so that other task can be adusted if needed to keep the date of finishing the project. Thx

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16

Feedback and Knowledge Base