How can we make Planner better?

Gantt chart view

I want to be able to make tasks dependent on other tasks, and see them in a Gantt chart view.

7,584 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Robert McLaws shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We agree that Plans often need a view of tasks ahead in order to communicate deadlines and status, and are working with our colleagues in Project to bring a solution to life for Projects and Plans of all shapes, sizes, and complexity.

As some of you may know, Project announced it’s vision for modern work management last fall, and as a part of the Project team we’re working together to bring this to life. Here’s more information on this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/2018/09/25/a-new-vision-for-modern-work-management-with-microsoft-project/

We appreciate the feedback and patience here. We’ll update this thread with any news as soon as it’s available.

Cheers,
The Planner Team

454 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • maridee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without a Gantt chart, I am having to purchase Asana instead. This is very frustrating. Planner is useless without this.

• R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of a Gantt chart and task dependencies is a killer.

YES°

• SJS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of a Gantt chart and task dependencies is a killer.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gannt chart is a must for a Planner software. Without it Planner is useless. Without a workable Planner App, Microsoft Teams is very limited.
    Microsoft has to be more serious about minimum features for their products.

• Cycroft commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding a Gantt chart feature is a deal-breaker for MS Planner as far as I'm concerned. I need a tool that's lighter weight than MS Project but Planner doesn't really bring any value without a Gantt chart and just a little more functionality.

• Haye commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need a Gantt chart view of our tasks where we can assign dependencies.

• TG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gantt is a must have, please can you make it happen

• Johnny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about give us a simple way to integrate an Outlook calendar, Outlook tasks and a robust project tool without running an extra exchange server.
    Seems pretty obvious that a calendar equals schedules, equals tasks, equals projects... smh

I you look at well-designed modern project management software such as Hive.com or Monday.com they all have a way of visually representing progress on a project, other as a % completion or a Gantt chart of some kind. Trello links well with the Office 365 suite but you have to use a Trello add-on to get Gantt functionality. Planner would really benefit from Gantt functionality or something similar. I hope this is implemented soon.

• Umesh Banga commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gantt chat has always been one of the key tools used for planning, I thought this was well understood at Microsoft.

• David Emery commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also think that while I agree that a Gannt view is an important upgrade for Planner, also the ability to show % complete is also an important addition, otherwise see the Gannt as just a plan, where with the live status with the addition of % complete will allow teams to effectively for lightweight project execution.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with the other commenters—a Gantt chart or something similar would be essential to making Planner viable for much of its target audience.

• Joseph Foster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its not a project planning tool people, its a Kanban board. Kanban boards don't have Ganntt charts as its big planning up front.

We need to have a track of deleted items.
    The risk is that if someone want to delete a taks given to him, there is no trace of this deletion and what was the task about...

• Andy Munroe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This seems to have been kicking around a while. Looks like there is a political rather than technical reason for this feature not been applied. Sad because it leaves a gap for lightweight business projects where MS Project is too much/expensive for what is required. Which is tasks in a Gantt chart that can be exported to add to Powerpoint for presentation meetings.Leaves me using 3rd party apps.

• Danish Sajwani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Although, Microsoft's overall perception in my mind is changing slowly with the enhancements in office365 apps ecosystem but it's still not there with fully integrated services.
    We just don't get the best from Microsoft compared to what is available in the market.

Planner is another example of it and Gantt Charts are so essential in this application.

+1 for this feature.

If you want people use this for projects then give them a visual way to track the progress, otherwise tables and pie/bar charts can live in Excel online alone...

• Michael Broder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One more voice for a gantt chart linking tasks (and subtasks), updates/narratives,, deadlines/completion, etc. is essential. we used to have project until our budget was cut and all wanted a client or seat at which point cost became prohibitive. I've started looking for third party vendors for project management apps or add on s to a SP site.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 22 23

Feedback and Knowledge Base