Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Planner?

Gantt chart view

I want to be able to make tasks dependent on other tasks, and see them in a Gantt chart view.

5,687 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Robert McLaws shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

328 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Chaz Weber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think a Gantt chart is a helpful visualization of the work that is going on with a project or even within a team. Since Teams and Groups can be used to keep a functional team organized, a manager or member of the team can view the team's open projects and efforts and help plan accordingly.

Being able to send a link or export this information would be particularly useful too.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All Other Tools - Wrike, Smartsheet, Asana have GantT view, i think make sense to put it as basic requirement.

We completely agree with this. It is very hard to work basic projects that have several tasks that are linked and some of which are on a critical path without capabilities like Gantt chart. These are not big projects we are talking about.

• Oscar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Project could focus on advanced project management functionalities. Planner could focus on basic ones.

Gantt is basic.

I know Microsoft want us to pay £27/month for Project but Gannt chart is a basic requirement.

• Joseph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We agree with @Jason Clapp commented · November 6, 2018, 12:56 PM, what more is needed than this? This is a prime business case, minimize our data risk by containing activities within O365.

• Jason Clapp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are various other tools in the industry (Asana, Wrike, Zoho, ...) that offer better functionality than Planner when it comes to dependencies and gannt charts for easy consumption and management of the information. MS Teams allows you to integrate these apps which is helpful in some cases.

The fundemental problem with this approach is these 3rd party apps offer similar functionality as MS Teams. Now we have users in our business utilzing 2 different collaboration tools. From an IT operation and security perspective utilizing free versions of tools like Asana create a whole list of security and data retention conerns.

Implementing dependencies and gantt chart views will actually many organizations like my drive better adoption of Teams! This has been an ask by thousands of users for over 2 years now.

My org is moving away from Office 365 for project tracking because the gannt chart in SharePoint is so ugly and lacks features,and Planner has no gannt. I really think you have missed the boat, microsoft.

As a small business owner, I've streamlined all our services to 365 which is fantastic everything being under one roof but the lack of a gannt chart feature is the biggest drawback.

This request has been kicking around for years; it's an uphill battle for IT folks to sell Office 365 when a basic project management tool that is part of the suite is missing something as simple as this.

When will this be implemented???

• Hans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft it's almost three years with thousands of votes therefore please do make this happen as it will make O365 even more awesome. From a business user's perspective this will help us very much!

• OSH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We want a regular god old gant, please. Preferably with some awesome logic, but at least beeing able to assign tasks, duration, resources(people) and start/end. Some logic about connected tasks will be great.
        We all know that just seeing the gant enables many more people (and higher-ups) to understand the timeline. Thanks!

• James L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be an invaluable feature. My organisation is deliberating over whether Teams, Planner & associated Microsoft applications are the right way to go for organisation collaboration and project management - the limitations, at this stage, are not helping its cause.

Gantt charts are a MUST to project management, and in order that I can get the full power of these tools for cross-organisation teams' projects, I need such capabilities.

• Richard Larose commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Gantt Chart View it's a must for a project manager.
        -Ressource loading
        -Critical Path
        -Overview
        -% of completion
        -predecessor task
        -milestone

Also, it will be great to see the entire task for an employee, not only "My Tasks".

• Tony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To me this is just a variation to the members chart view. But instead of a single bar which shows number of projects it is multiple bars defined by start and end dates of each task, a Gantt chart, this gives team leaders the ability to plan when staff are available, on vacation etc.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 16 17

Feedback and Knowledge Base