How can we improve Planner?

Gantt chart view

I want to be able to make tasks dependent on other tasks, and see them in a Gantt chart view, similar to TeamGantt.com.

2,097 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Robert McLawsRobert McLaws shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

71 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Neil BarrettNeil Barrett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems odd that you can create a simple Gantt chart in Excel but not Planner. It's a startling omission really.

• Matthias HoldMatthias Hold commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

GANTT could be useful, however, might Change the essence of Planner, as GANTT will require a number of additional features; i.e. resources, priorities, effort needed etc.

• Vinicius vieiraVinicius vieira commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gantt is essential for a good management of a project, Microsoft is losing space with competitors such as Asana.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

its overly simplified - its more of a Kanban board, to be truly useful it should have dependencies and links between tasks

• GeorgeGeorge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would love to replace our gantt chart in our erp with planner.
        Requires for specifik checklists like "Start datetime", "End datetime",
        Split checklists between different members.
        And then the gantt view for each workday, with hour and minutes as scale

• Michael CainMichael Cain commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes. Gantt charts are a entrenched staple of project management. So many business executives understand them. The fact that Planner can't generate them weakens Planner as a communication tool with my customers.

If I could ask for just two features it would be task dependencies and Gantt charts.
        Must haves if I'm going to make Planner competitive in project management.

With more enterprise customers switching to use Teams instead of other solutions like Slack, Planner has a good use case for this. Various teams might use tools like Jira or Trello, but having a road map view via Gantt charts is an added advantage which would make users utilize Planner nore often.

Here is feedback and nobody respond to this need almost 1600votes microsoft? We neeed this thing

Agreed. I want to be able to use this with my teams, but find myself needing a separate Gantt chart--which inevitably leads to chaos. This is an absolute must!

• Joseph ThornleyJoseph Thornley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Planner without a Gantt chart is a severely hobbled offering. It is not worth the effort to enter and manage the data unless I can generate Gantt charts. Please add this feature. Please. Sooner rather than later.

• Andrew SteeleAndrew Steele commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

16 months, 1,400 votes and yet no timeline or Gantt chart feature. I'm honestly not surprised because it's Microsoft. I understand Microsoft is trying to protect cannibalization of other MS products like Project, but so often they obviously fail to see the competition outside their own product offerings. Considering that this is part of a paid service I expect better. This tool is useless in a team/engineering environment without additional features. There are better free options.

• SabrinaSabrina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be also great to have the gantt chart be sorted by assigned member project (buckets)

The SharePoint Task List can be integrated with Project and can be viewed as a Gantt Chart. Why not allow Planner to be integrated with the Task List?

For most users the Planner dashboard would be a consolidated view of all tasks they had across multiple projects.

• Martin CottinghamMartin Cottingham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wrike has this functionality and is a very rounded tool compared to Planner. MS need to increase the pace of development on Planner if it is to be adopted, organisations need a complete planning tool, not a cut down Trello.

• Joe MartinJoe Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have recently tried Apps4.Pro Planner Manager which offers Gantt view for tasks in Planner. Worked great and I can manage the tasks efficiently now.

An enterprise planning tool needs Gantt functionality. I agree with Dustin that without it its just a simple planner. Honestly we were expecting more.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base