How can we improve Planner?

Gantt chart view

I want to be able to make tasks dependent on other tasks, and see them in a Gantt chart view.

3,846 votes
Sign in
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Robert McLaws shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Tell us more  ·  AdminPlanner Team (Admin, Planner) responded  · 

Thank you for your feedback!

We’d like to hear more about how you and your team would utilize a Gantt chart – please share the scenarios you have in mind. This will help us structure our conversations about pursuing this feature.

The Planner Team

Sign in
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Helgi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now planner only gives indication of task status with no relations to time.
        So two things
        1. give projektmanager, and projektmembers, a more relevant overview of status with the time demension. E.g. the tasks are all set up on a Gantt chart in colors based on status. That way the projekt manager gets a better overview of the status of the whole with regards to due date and individual members get a better view of priorities.
        2. A Gantt chart would give stakeholder not directly involved in the day to day a Quick overview of the status, e.g. sponsors, owner etc.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm interested in using this for large and potentially multi-year projects involving multiple groups. Logic ties would make Planner applicable to more complex projects and prevent administrative work updating due dates for subsequent assignments. The Gantt chart might be more useful than the current calendar view, which doesn't show more than two action items for any given date when in Month view. It could be useful to make the Gantt filterable by bucket.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another Gantt Chart view here...we need it to keep better track of tasks. For example, if Task B runs over, and we cannot start Task C until B is done, how does it affect the overall project timeline.

• Justin Tan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For long term planning -- check out Active.Collab's way of doing monthly planning, it's quite unique and well thought out!

• Warwick Blyth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gantt enables one to visualise and plan tasks in sequence. Would be really good if Planner Gantt view had draggable beginning and end dates on bars.

• Mikael Carlsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Create milestones for a project to review if we are on-track. A project light. Or another option is to extend the schema to also include year or quarter.

• Jeannine East commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the simplicity of Planner, but I still have tasks that can't be done unless others are finished. I'd like an easy way to denote this - whether it's in gantt chart form or donated some way in the linear task list.

I've been using Smartsheets for over 7 years, today I have this plugged into Teams as an addon and use it every day. I see a Gant as another dashboard on the "Charts" screen, whereby the start and finish date would denote is position on the timeline. However, you would want to be able to edit inline the dates (or drag them on the time line) and/or add a dependency to do the same. You would also want Tasks and subtasks to appear in default order, but draggable once in the Timeline just in the same way a card be moved.

Finally, you would want to be able to pin this dashboard either to a publicly available (discrete) URL similar to Smartsheets or to a PowerBI dashboard for more control.

I'd just like a simple timeline that has a linear calendar (just columns with one day/week/month per column)rather than the tabular view in Schedule. Dragging of tasks to change dates would be a good feature.

Gantt-/timeline features in prioritized order:

1. WBS for the tasks,
        2. Task dependencies,

3. Shortcut linking when clicking on a task/activity-bar where you get directly into the card view for more task informartion/edditing.

4. Drag and move tasks around in the gantt view to change WBS-level, task dependencies and dates/duration.

5. Visualization features on each task/activity-bar in the gantt view, such as:
        a) Checklist items (like in ProjectPlace where deck's are shown as cards).
        b) Task status/progress
        c) Taggs
        d) Responsible users
        e) Changing bar colors

6. Adjustable filtering of tasks shown in the gantt view, to view only selected tasks. For example filtered on specified WBS-level, users, taggs, status, types, etc.

Off course also adjustable timeline view (days, weeks, months...).

Good examples: 1. ProjectPlace, and 2. Wrike.

• Chelsea commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am 1 of 3 project managers in our company (Leatherman) that (we all) really need this implemented into the tool. This would absolutely be a game changer for our company. We are hoping that MSFT will implement this soon. THANK YOU!

• SHayward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like to see a Gantt chart view in Planner and be able to plan more than 2 months ahead. Is this still in development? One of my main uses would be planning a Resource Schedule and I used to do this within Microsoft Project. Is Project still the only way forward?

For reference, check out the functionality that Instagantt provides when integrated with Asana. At a minimum, I want to see time on the x-axis (not in a calendar view as in the Schedule) with the task durations shown between their start and end dates.

Ideally, you could then implement task dependencies, milestones, critical path, estimated hours, and workload. Or perhaps just make it a simple gantt with an option to integrate into MS Project Online for these additional capabilities. If you can do this, maybe it would be great to keep the start and end dates synced between Planner and MS Project.

Wie have a Tasks list with a Gantt Chart above in our Sharepoint. This could be a template for this "Gantt chart view".
        I would be glad if I could post a screenshot here ;-)
        so here is my example:

I'm looking for a very simple gantt chart capability, and believe that the dependencies is a nice-to-have. eRoom had a very simple gantt chart tool, so something along those lines is what I'm looking for.

• MG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my case I am using is to visualize the Infrastructure project flow from Design Engg. -> Transition Engg. -> Operations. We have multiple projects on the plan and I would like to be able to see a chart showing each project and the phase/stage (Design, Transition or Ops) the project is in.

• Elizabeth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A Gantt chart helps me prioritize because every job has a deadline. If I'm further along on something that's further out, and something else gets bumped up, I can see at a glance which one I'm safe in hanging back on...

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base