How can we improve Planner?

Provide the ability to create Plan templates with existing tasks that can then be used to create a new plan

Rather than having to create every plan from scratch it would be good if the system allowed for the creation of Templates with pre-existing tasks (like in Word/Excel). This would allow a new plan and its tasks to be created from a template saving a lot of time.

2,973 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Matthew KirkMatthew Kirk shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Planned  ·  Planner TeamAdminPlanner Team (Admin, Planner) responded  · 

Thank you for your feedback!

As a first step, we are working on delivering the ability to copy a task within a board. Updates on this feature can be found on this thread: https://planner.uservoice.com/forums/330525-microsoft-planner-feedback-forum/suggestions/14914122-copy-a-task

After this is complete, we will explore this functionality for plans as a whole. Much of the work involved with these features will be able to carry over to templates. We are actively thinking about what the best plan template experience is. We would love to hear more about specific scenarios you would find templates useful for and what information you would want to carry over between templates. Any examples or ideas are appreciated!

308 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the same as other requests. Merge them together. If we merge this and the other similar requests together, the number of votes puts this at the top of the list by a huge margin.

I provide implementation planning and consulting for IT projects with different clients. The processes are often very similar and the effort to build up hundreds of tasks each time is frustrating – especially when they are the same tasks you did in the last three projects.

When using planner for repetitive projects/plans it would be useful if the following items could be saved and reused as a template:
        Buckets – these are used as specific personas/roles on the project but could be anything
        Tasks – the task name, description and checklist items are often common project to project. Dates, assignments and attachments would be project specific and not copied.

• Damian CastilloDamian Castillo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just checking in again to see what progress has been made and I am honestly amazed. This must be the least supported project at Microsoft. Without project templates, this app is almost useless for business use.

For Planner templates, we need the ability to manage repetitive workflows. We work in the legal/insurance industry. We have the same workflows for each individual claim. While it is the same workflow (tasks/buckets/etc.) for the claims, we need the ability create and individualize those workflows for each particular claim to insert due dates, check-lists, and communicate on. We have about 6 or 7 different complex workflows that get used frequently on the claims. The ability to create templates would make Planner INCREDIBLY USEFUL. Unfortunately, without templates, I really cannot use Planner because it is way too inefficient to create those same workflows on each claim. I hope I am explaining this understandably. Please contact me if you need more information.

I really hope Planner can make this happen, and soon. Thank you,

A specific application is a yearly event, like a Gala or major Show, that requires many sub groups/teams of individuals from a variety of departements (ie finance, promotions, marketing, operations, sales) etc. The themes and particulars may change, but the general activities don't. I know this starts to creep into MS Project territory. The reason Planner is valuable for this is the ease of use and learning. Project requires a power user to be effective, whereas Planner allows even occasional users to immediately participate in a project or event. Having a template for a specific event or project that recurs yearly, quarterly or whatever would save a lot of work and duplication. It would also avoid having to delete the old data out of the new plan, as the buckets and tasks could be set up without specific content/dates/assignments, etc. In other words, the task is there (ie book the caterer) without the details of who or when...etc. etc...

• Sanem SerenSanem Seren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Planner is useful for example assigning training paths. for example suppose you are using it for a training program. creating a board of training which has tasks for different subjects consisting of tasks having links to training materials. than duplicating the plan for each class, making certain edits and assigning each task to a different student. then charts will also enable you to follow the status of each student, how many training is complete. with the comments section you have the ability to have communication about the items aslo

You asked for examples or ideas, so here's my use case. I'm looking to implement Planner for a lawyer office that provide services in many different fields. You can classify lawsuits by types and have a standard way and process to manage them, so the planner templates would help. An example could be adoption. There's a standard way and a flow to be followed in adoption, which is very similar from one case to the other. I could create a template for adoption cases.

• PhilPhil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To be fair. There is little point in having user voice or marking things planned if you don’t update anything and the idea which is marked planned disappears from the roadmap. This certainly influences my decision to proceed with planner or office 365 in a very negative way.

Phil

• ShelbyShelby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any news on when templates or a basic copy function will be added? The original post is from over a year ago.

• Jessica HaywoodJessica Haywood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Team, I would also like to add my interest in having the ability to create templates within Planner. Or at least a copy function so that details can be easily recreated without having to manually type checklist items.
        Our team are all home based and would like to adopt MS Teams and the various apps that are available to us, not having a template option is quite restricting and could be a key factor to stopping us implementing this across the wider teams.
        I look forward to hearing that this feature makes it into your roadmap.
        Many thanks.

• PJPJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll add my hope for templates. I will not be implementing this in our company until templates are available. It is a massive waste of time and energy having to create new plans when the basic structure of our project work (building swimming pools) is the same with variables unique to each project and client.

It is not in your roadmap and something that I believe needs some indication of when.

Please, pretty please, make it so!

PJ

• KamKam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, I want adoption of this product, but will be a hard sell without any re-usability.

Any news on when templates or a basic copy function will be added. It has been nearly 18months.

Agreed. This tool need to allow for templates to be created in order for it to be truly useful.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16

Feedback and Knowledge Base