How can we make Planner better?

Provide the ability to create Plan templates with existing tasks that can then be used to create a new plan

Rather than having to create every plan from scratch it would be good if the system allowed for the creation of Templates with pre-existing tasks (like in Word/Excel). This would allow a new plan and its tasks to be created from a template saving a lot of time.

6,917 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Matthew Kirk shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The ability to copy a plan is now available in Planner’s web app! Moving forward, we’ll be working on adding this to Teams and allowing plans to be copied to an existing group.

Please let us know what you think and how we can improve upon this!

Learn more about Copy plan here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Planner-Blog/Planner-s-new-copy-plan-feature-helps-streamline-work-management/ba-p/364048#.XIYZg2dGIfQ.twitter

Cheers,
The Planner Team

761 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would also be awesome if the plan when copied could be attached to the Teams we want to. Currently when I copy a plan I do not get the chance or option to attach it to the Team I want. It just creates another Team. The same option that appears on creation should appear upon copying.

Thanks

• Seth Rogen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Jay Kim, As far as what I can tell from the status of this request. Partially Complete implies they are working on it.

• Jay Kim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd say this is still half-assed. Well, it's still better than "no ***". But not able to make copying within an existing group is just doesn't make sense. I think I kind of understand what's holding you behind, and integration of ms teams group and planner is might be difficult job to do. But at least can you make it official that you are going to work on this feature?

• Josh Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Option to copy a plan within an existing group, or create a plan from template to an existing group is imperative to integration with Teams and other Microsoft Products. Continually creating groups is clogging the global address book and does not allow for seamless integration.

We should be able to duplicate buckets within a plan. I want many buckets with the same tasks. I don't want a new group every time.

Hiya - when will the option to copy the Plan template occur in Teams so we are creating different groups. Thanks

• Raul C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Your new copy plan feature is NOT awesome. You are NOT copying. You are actually CREATING a new plan with existing tasks and a NEW group will be CREATED at the same time! There is no option for me to copy the plan within the same group which I think this is the basic of copying action. I don't want to have 100 of individual groups when I copy a plan for 100 times. Can Microsoft do more research or testing on the user experience's side before you implement new features? We are not your beta testers. We are business users. Thank you.

• Hatch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to select which elements of a task copy over (labels, files, links, assignments etc.) would be extremely useful. As others have commented this functionality appears to be present in other similar products.

• J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for giving us the possibility to copy plans. We absolutely need to be able to copy plans (plan templates) into exisiting groups/teams also.

• Shahedah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need the ability to copy plans within an existing Group, as well as the ability to pick and choose which elements get copied over. Asana gives you a checklist of whether you also want to copy over things link due dates, assignees, descriptions, subtasks. Planner gives you none of that control and it's a vital function of being able to copy a plan.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to copy a plan to a different group, not just the same group, would be of great benefit to using planner within teams

• Sheryl Jucker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! Really looking forward to this capability. Can't migrate from Asana until we can do this. Need to be able to copy of template across multiple channels within a team and to other teams without recreating each time.

Also want the ability to move channels to other teams and order channels any way I want besides the default alphabetical.

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good start, but still cannot adopt Planner until the ability to copy a plan within the same O365 Group is added.

• Nick Sabbe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As per other comments (I don't see another way to attract your attention to this): the ability to copy the template to an existing group (and/or plan) is quintessential. Any idea when this will become possible?

Also: making this accessible from the user interface of Teams would save many needless steps. finally, providing this through API will top it all off!

• Anssi Niemi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Waiting eagerly to be able to copy a Plan into an existing Group. This would allow the creation of a template repository where teams can get standard planning templates for their projects. "Copy a plan" creating a new Group every time is a hassle and runs counter to the idea of Teams in some sense, where you'd like a Team to have multiple different projects they can work on.

• Kyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add the ability to select which content to transfer. I would like the ability for attachments to transfer in the copy, and i assume some would like the option of having who the task is assigned to as well.

i.e. Copy Plan > Check what to copy (Attachments, Check List, Details, Assigneees, etc)

And yes, the ability to choose what group it copies to without creating a new group!

• Robert Barker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please please add the ability to copy a Plan within an existing O365 group, without it automatically creating a new group.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 38 39

Feedback and Knowledge Base