Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Planner?

Provide the ability to create Plan templates with existing tasks that can then be used to create a new plan

Rather than having to create every plan from scratch it would be good if the system allowed for the creation of Templates with pre-existing tasks (like in Word/Excel). This would allow a new plan and its tasks to be created from a template saving a lot of time.

6,586 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Matthew Kirk shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Partially complete  ·  AdminPlanner Team (Admin, Planner) responded  · 

The ability to copy a plan is now available in Planner’s web app! Moving forward, we’ll be working on adding this to Teams and allowing plans to be copied to an existing group.

Please let us know what you think and how we can improve upon this!

Learn more about Copy plan here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Planner-Blog/Planner-s-new-copy-plan-feature-helps-streamline-work-management/ba-p/364048#.XIYZg2dGIfQ.twitter

Cheers,
    The Planner Team

741 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mats Uneland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great feature! Thanks!

I see several of us are in the need of using a copied Planner board in different Teams. When will this be solved? Today i can't see that this is possible

• Trevor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm seeing the ability to copy an ENTIRE Plan - are we going to see the ability to duplicate buckets within a plan? I.E. - if I want to lay out a task list template for employee onboarding - I don't need to copy the entire plan every time, but I do want to be able to create a new 'list' for each new employee to be onboarded with identical tasks, and I want the ability to copy the assignments over to the new task list/bucket.

Making the copy functionality available only at the Plan level seems like overkill for that type of use case.

• JP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Morning,
        thank you very much for it. So I can use e plan as template for my Projects. A very good step in the correct direction. Thanks and Cheers,
        JP

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey, thanks so much for it! This feature will help me a lot, so I can use a plan as template to create many others!

when you add this to teams and allow plans to be copied to an existing group will the task assignments be carried over?

When will we see to option to copy a plan into another plan, or between teams? Our users use Teams integrated with planner, not just the planner web app.

• Tim Reilly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please consider adding an option to copy over files/links.

We're still maintaining a Basecamp account for certain types of repeating projects, things that involve quite a few steps and a number of those steps require that the user refer to forms to complete (both as files or as URLs) or to other documents/locations for more information. I realize we can square peg / round hole our way through it via the task's description field (e.g.: "copy and paste this URL into your browser...") but that's pretty clunky.

I 100% "get" that not all use cases for copying a board would want to maintain files/links, but I suspect a lot of use cases would find it handy.

This is great! However... I think it would be nice to not have to copy a task over and over again too.

For instance with every new task created in a Plan there should be a template where the checklist items all start with 'Check with Budget Manager on Cost', and have the Checklist end with 'Insure the Invoice has been paid'.

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is good step in the correct direction. An issue is that when you copy the plan it creates an O365 Group, Site, etc. with the name "Copy of [original name]". You can easily change a lot of the labels, but site URLs, email address for the O365 group etc. keep the poor name.

• Stephen Narwold commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey, great step! I just finished making a complicated and painful Flow to copy a plan, and it's super buggy. This will help a lot IF and when we can make the plan in the same group and/or do it from teams. For now, I can't use it because new group creation is turned off for our org.

Two options that would be SUPER useful for us would be an option to copy assignments (this would only make sense if creating the plan in the same group), and to copy the dates with an offset. We produce a magazine 4 times per year and if we could copy assignments and have it pre-fill the due dates with the previous due date plus 91 days, that would save a ton of work when setting up the 100+ tasks that are needed. We'd still need to tweak the dates a little, but it would be a huge boost and let us get working on the project sooner, while spending less time fiddling around with planner.

I have been waiting for this finally great news! Will the option to copy over attachments become available? Also will the option to archive planners become an option?

It's awesome.

We are looking foward to next step that allows us copy plans to an existing (office 365) group.
        Because with this copy a new site is created.

Even so it's great!!!
        Thanks!!!

• Raymond Boone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's looking great! Thank you so much. The next piece that would be awesome is the ability to copy a "bucket" in a plan.

Any updates? This is severely crimpling our adoption of Planner as the current ability to only create a linked Planner within the same team is useless...

• LOrlando commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see the ability to "copy plan" but it literally makes a new plan and seemingly a new group?? I really want to use Planner for our group task management, but I absolutely need the ability to copy a plan into a current O365 group. It would also be nice to have a central date where you can assign each task a "week" that bounces against that central date to auto-fills the task due date.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 37 38

Feedback and Knowledge Base