How can we improve Planner?

Provide the ability to create Plan templates with existing tasks that can then be used to create a new plan

Rather than having to create every plan from scratch it would be good if the system allowed for the creation of Templates with pre-existing tasks (like in Word/Excel). This would allow a new plan and its tasks to be created from a template saving a lot of time.

2,051 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Matthew KirkMatthew Kirk shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  Planner TeamAdminPlanner Team (Admin, Planner) responded  · 

Hello, thanks for the feedback. This feature is planned on our roadmap. We’ll provide more details as we get closer to starting development.

193 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • reaganreagan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is anyone monitoring this site? No status updated on this important feature.

• Patrick BennettPatrick Bennett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Keen for an update on this as i'm trying to push Planner internally but without Templates it's near impossible to get it across the line....

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, we will switch to Trello, being able to duplicate plans and tasks is a critical piece of functionality and trivial to implement. We pay our office 365 subscription for business-ready functionality to be provided and have proper communication regarding progress. Last comment from Microsoft on this functionality a year ago?!

A year ago this enhancement was on the roadmap. Can you please update the audience as to how close you are to starting?

Yes, this feature needs to be implemented before I can use it for my business. It has been "planned" for a year now. And I can't find this feature in the current roadmap site anywhere. Was it dropped? Sad!

• BethBeth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to create template plans seems to have been on the road map, since the creation of the road map. Planner is the reason that I subscribed to MS Business. Without this basic feature, the app is useless to us. Trello is the better alternative with more features.

• egidioegidio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Templates are vital. Without it is nearly impossible to convince other people in the organisation to use it, let alone make it work. Instead if I could prepare templates for a project and then assign it to people or share it, I will have much more control over workflow and will be used in a effective way. Without tamplates in my case Planner is quite useless. Please Give us an update on the development stage, please.

• Richard WollenbergerRichard Wollenberger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This seems a critical capability. I'd like to create a template for onboarding a new employee with ALL of the steps required. In our case, this is about 50 steps. It takes a lot to do this and keep track. I can't recreate the tasks every time, so I can't use planner to do this until the template feature works (check out Asana to see how they do this. Very simple, but I'd prefer to use Planner.
        Thanks, and keep at it!

• Paul BuxtonPaul Buxton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Keen for an update on this as it would make it so much more usable especially when embedded within a 'Team' and we want to ensure each 'Task' is created in the same format with the same items.

• James WylieJames Wylie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Keen for an update on this as i'm trying to push Planner internally but without Templates it's near impossible to get it across the line....

• Damon EdmondsonDamon Edmondson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SO this was listed as planned, in May 2016. It is now May 2017. my company is on the borderline of decision for a product here... and if this existed we'd be on board. failing that... we'll have to leave this part of the ecosystem and go with a competing product like trello.

• Chris SidorChris Sidor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just looked at the roadmap for planner and was not able to find it, including under the cancelled category. I'm pretty sure I've seen it before. Can anyone else find it?

Without templates, planner is nothing more than a task list. Template functionality will make it useful in the real world.

• BryanBryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates on this? Our org can't use Planner w/o a solution here (template or export/import or copy or replicate or something...)

I concur with all the other comments that this lack of functionality is a deal breaker--this product will be amazing if savable and reusable templates/task bundles are added. Any updates on the progress?

• Vera SchrankungVera Schrankung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. This would be a very helpful feature and rather essential to adoption in our enterprise, as we are LEAN based and want to create standardized LEAN compliant templates (which Planner would be *excellent* at)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base