Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Planner?

Link Planner with Office 365 Tasks

It would be great to have the option to make tasks created in Office 365 Tasks available in Planner

3,683 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dexter Roberson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

110 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had high hopes when I first heard about planner - 1½ hour ago - but now I found out about this huge disappointment in Planner - I cannot create tasks directly from outlook! :(

A simple add to planner is required from within outlook and an absolute must, if planner is to of any great use.

Right now I have to create a task in outlook, based on the content from a mail - then afterwards I also have to create it in planner, just for other from my team to keep track of it, or assign to them. Next thing is to email those assigned to the task - with email content - as to get the information shared. This is just so..... aaaargghhh ... I give up.

Kind Regards

Microsoft is thinking on this for the past 2 years...WOW!!

Hope organizations really move to Google mails for integrated approach

Agree with the critical need for a better interface between email and Planner. When I'm going through my emails, I need to be able to get an email in its entirety- including attachments- into Planner. Features should also include being able to reply to the email from Planner. I've been able to do this with programs like OmniFocus for years... saves the time of having to dig through emails to find it and respond once I've completed the task associated with it.

I've created a Flow so that any email I flag exports to Planner. However, it shows up in Planner with just the subject line as the title of the task and no other details whatsoever. This is functionally useless because I need to be able to see the body of the email, sender, etc. to know what the task is (I'm dealing with way too many emails and to dos to remember what every email is about based on the subject line). Planner has HUGE potential but is missing critical functionality right now!

• Drew Lucey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's already an Outlook Add-in for Trello. I'd prefer to use Planner, but need the ability to create a task from an email and have that email attached to the task card.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

merge with topic "Easily add Planner Tasks from within Outlook client and Office 365"

• Garret Holland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

C'mon MS, this isn't a huge ask and is necessary to usability. You frustrate customers away from your tools by ignoring must haves like this, and not having the same simple features others have. Outlook is your own product, integrate with it!

This really would be great.

You could create a project plan in Project, upload to a project SharePoint site which would generate the Tasks. If the tasks could then appear in Planner, and in the Site Calendar that would be full integration.

I looked at achieving this with Flow, but everything Planner related in flow seems to be preview and doesn't work properly.

• Greg Biersack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Planner could be a useful tool but it is a way from being really valuable. When you show an app to a team of people and ask them to do something new (use a new technology tool), you need to keep the activities relatively contained within the app. Calendar, conversations, files should all appear to be within the app. Instead, when you use these other tools it takes you out of the Planner app. Oh No! Now I am starting to get confused. How do I get back to the planner? Additionally, it is not possible to create a template of a Plan and make a copy of it. So many businesses have a common process that needs to be repeated with a new plan. Finally, the fact that the tasks do not move to the Task app is a huge omission. I look forward to seeing big changes with this app. Please find a way to broadcast improvements when the app is more usable.

• FireFighter1017 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Planner Team, Flow is not activated in our company and there are no plans to activate it. Given the fact that we already own subscriptions to O365 suite, why would we bother to build integrations between products? It should be part of it.
        Just an email address to forward emails t, just like Trello does, and so does Teams and Groups. Oh! Yeah, Right, Groups is already tied with Planner... Sooo... What are we waiting for?

As mentionned in previous posts, email subject goes in task header, email header and body goes into Task description, email attachements go on Tasks as attachements.
        We are going to use this as a request creation tool while the request is still under review.
        Then from Planner we'll dispatch the requests within the team and other tools (PWA, Planner board, SAP ITSM, etc...) As you can see, there will be more integrations needed (most of which are already posted in this forum).

That is if the feature is out soon. Otherwise we'll have to look the other products like Trello. Since Planner does not offer any integrations with Sharepoint documents or PWA, I don't see why Trello wouldn't be as wise as a choice as Planner is.

• Vicki Thorogood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was looking at planner. Then my FIRST thought was how does it integrate to Outlook tasks. This is where I can synch them to SF. So you can buy a plugin from a random third party, but come ON - seriously, what is the point of investing in an eco system, where things do not integrate? Seems a bit obvious to me... Sigh...

Google is always good with having their products tightedly integrated and easy to use. Now microsoft have done something amazing by having all these cool new tools but the only downside and probably the show stopper is all these products not working hand in hand.

Planner is not very useful as a standalone planner. It will be very helpful if I can move all my communication channels such as outlook (email), Team(Slack like communication) and others into planner and have one view for planning all together.

• Susan Ruhl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the only thing holding me up from migrating from Trello to Planner. Please please please hurry up and do this! It's been asked for by so many for quite a while!

• James Bibby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree, and I like the process @Stefano outlined on 17 Sep. Email arrives, do I need to action? Yes, click add to planner.

• Scott Booth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am in the same boat at the previous poster. Most of my work comes in via email. I like to triage it from there - email to wunderlist, Trello or whatever. This is a roadblock for using planner. Currently I have to manually type in the task from the email.

I want to stay in the O365 ecosystem and use this app but it needs to be on par with equivalent apps - Trello is a good guide for adding features.
        Thank you.

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just look at the Trello plugin for Outlook to see how to do this. I moved away from Planner because of this missing functionality but would gladly come back to Planner if you could make this happen.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base