Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Planner?

Plans deletion/archive

As I saw that when you delete a Plan all conversations, Groups etc are deleted could be useful to have another Status for that Plans, maybe an "Archived" status, maybe visible in another dashboard or something similar.

2,051 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Nicola shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Tell us more  ·  AdminPlanner Team (Admin, Planner) responded  · 

We’d love to hear more about the following:
    1. When would you delete or archive a plan?
    2. How long would you like it to be accessible?

Feel free to include any specific scenarios where archiving a plan would be useful.

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to reading through your comments!

Cheers,
    The Planner Team

244 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Blake G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. Archiving plans would likely be default for many businesses - they want to keep the data, tasks completed and who completed them, as well as project timeline in one place and be able to reference it.
        2. This should be configurable. Set it to 1 year, 2 years, 5 years etc. for archiving options.

It's been a year since the admin response - any update on if we are getting this? Development on other PM platforms is much more agile...

• Kurtis Hanni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now that we can copy, we need archiving. We want to use this for an accounting close schedule and we have to keep this schedulea for up to 5 years. This would be very valuable!

Also any project that's complete should not be apart of your active list as it just clutters it.

• Sean Matthews commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this should just mimic the teams archive functionality. Select to Archive the plan and it is removed from planner hub but accessible to be restored if required. If you don't want it at all you can just delete it.

• Shawn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When the project closes it would be nice to archive. I'd like it to be accessible for at least 2 years. Prior to permanent deletion it would be nice to have the ability to export the plan to a CSV to keep for historical data.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I drop old tasks in the "Done" bucket and export to reports in my current monday.com system to provide "Done" excel reports for the year and to help show stakeholders what we've "done for them lately". Also helps the team keep perspective if they can quickly look back on the last year or two and see how far we've come. Easy Peasy. MSoft could take a lesson here and make it even better. Can be nice to have artifacts on-hand, but not visually hanging around and thus in the way of current project\s. These are the sort of simple features that most current project tools have built in. Hoping this tool catches up.I like the idea of an integrated solution much more than hang-on apps.

• Bryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have three on-going Plans that will never be deleted so I need the ability to archive specific buckets within those plans to free up horizontal space in the view and improve performance.

We use plans that are based on functional roles within our teams so our plans are long lived.

• Shawn Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A "Plan" will be archived when the event/project/sprint, for which the Plan is created, is completed. It is essential not to delete/remove the plan when completed since all artifacts (communications, tasks, attachments, people involved) saved within the plan would be a huge asset that could be useful for various purposes (ex. audit, future reference, and etc.).
        Also, Archiving helps to clean up "Planner Hub" which would just show the active "Plan"s.
        The duration for the archive should be about 11 years.

• Bryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please also allow archiving completed buckets - I have three high level plans that cover all of the technologies my team manages and my plans will always have active buckets in them but are filling up with completed buckets that I don’t want to lose!

• Rick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with @MRP -

Planner Team @Microsoft, just replicate the Archiving functionality released for Teams in June 2018. So basically:

1) We'd like to archive a plan when a project is completed
        2) Plan should remain accessible indefinitely, and you should be able to restore it when required

Of course, if you don't want to keep it, you can just delete it.

1. I define archive in this case as anything completed. There would never be a reason to delete a plan unless it was created in error. I'd like just a simple "Completed plans" collapsible below "Recent plans". This would serve as an archive and not clutter up in-my in progress ones.
        2. Forever

You should be able to archive a plan once it is finished. Mark it complete such as when a specific task is completed

• Jeff Spiller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know its a competitive product-- but look at trello's archiving, you can archive a card,list(bucket) and board,

• Jeff Allen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When project is complete, have ability to archive the entire plan with attachments etc to an archive folder in case needed again in the future or to use as a basis for another plan.

• Adrian Draghici commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the projects complete will be good to have them in a different view so they don't clutter your daily working space. The data is still necessary for information purposes.

• Joseph Boland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like a few others, we need the ability to archive buckets. This would complement and extend the "hide completed tasks" feature. Without this, it's difficult to use Planner for long-running projects, despite the fact that it's otherwise well-suited for them. The work-around at present -- when all tasks for a bucket at completed, move all tasks to a special "Done" bucket -- is a real nuisance. To avoid losing information it's necessary to prepend the bucket name to each task title at that point.

• MRP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Planner Team @Microsoft, just replicate the Archiving functionality released for Teams in June 2018. So basically:

1) We'd like to archive a plan when a project is completed
        2) Plan should remain accessible indefinitely, and you should be able to restore it when required

Of course, if you don't want to keep it, you can just delete it.

• Kendall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would export it to excel, save the file on my network for future reference and then delete the plan

• Rui Pereira commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi. Archive should be done manually, when the user decides to do it. Perhaps add another category for archive, just like favorites or recent plans in the Planner Hub. It should be available for as long as the user needs it.

• Lani Christie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use this for all our team projects so our 'bucket list' is getting very long. We need an option to archive/hide buckets and to be able to filter to only show buckets tagged. Currently, the filter still shows the bucket, just hides the tasks.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13

Feedback and Knowledge Base