Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Planner?

Plans deletion/archive

As I saw that when you delete a Plan all conversations, Groups etc are deleted could be useful to have another Status for that Plans, maybe an "Archived" status, maybe visible in another dashboard or something similar.

1,957 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Nicola shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Tell us more  ·  AdminPlanner Team (Admin, Planner) responded  · 

We’d love to hear more about the following:
    1. When would you delete or archive a plan?
    2. How long would you like it to be accessible?

Feel free to include any specific scenarios where archiving a plan would be useful.

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to reading through your comments!

Cheers,
    The Planner Team

228 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Joseph Boland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like a few others, we need the ability to archive buckets. This would complement and extend the "hide completed tasks" feature. Without this, it's difficult to use Planner for long-running projects, despite the fact that it's otherwise well-suited for them. The work-around at present -- when all tasks for a bucket at completed, move all tasks to a special "Done" bucket -- is a real nuisance. To avoid losing information it's necessary to prepend the bucket name to each task title at that point.

• MRP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Planner Team @Microsoft, just replicate the Archiving functionality released for Teams in June 2018. So basically:

1) We'd like to archive a plan when a project is completed
        2) Plan should remain accessible indefinitely, and you should be able to restore it when required

Of course, if you don't want to keep it, you can just delete it.

• Kendall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would export it to excel, save the file on my network for future reference and then delete the plan

• Rui Pereira commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi. Archive should be done manually, when the user decides to do it. Perhaps add another category for archive, just like favorites or recent plans in the Planner Hub. It should be available for as long as the user needs it.

• Lani Christie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use this for all our team projects so our 'bucket list' is getting very long. We need an option to archive/hide buckets and to be able to filter to only show buckets tagged. Currently, the filter still shows the bucket, just hides the tasks.

• JT Lim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are planning to use it as a scrum/kanban board. Would be good that an option to set the timeline (wk/month/yr) so that users can choose how long the plan can be active before archive.
        Deletion of bucket/task/plan should be permission based or at least recoverable through recycle bin or equivalent.

• Deb Shaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are using Planner for construction projects. We like the ability to share with multiple users. At the end of the project we need a way to document the project in our project folder. Archiving into a PDF would be awesome. Thanks!

• Nikolaj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use the planner as a custom SCRUM board with the following buckets:

1. Backlog
        2. To do
        3. In progress
        4. Ready for test
        5. Done

When a sprint is finished, I would like to hide or archive all tasks in the "Done" bucket, making it possible to go back and read descriptions and comments if a sudden bug is identified afterwards.
        To be clear - I would like to archive the whole "Done" bucket, so when I search through my archive, I can rename the bucket to "Sprint 3 - Done".
        This would provide a great overview compared to if all archived tasks just end up in one big "archived" bucket.

It should be possible to access and read these archived tasks for 2-3 years.

I want to convert from Trello to Planner, but the lack of this feature is the dealbreaker for me.

• Murray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi. There is a section for favourites and other plans. Perhaps add another category for archive. It should be available for as long as the user needs it. Perhaps the ability to export archived plans if space becomes an issue (but not a great solution). Min 3 years but ideally forever.

• Larysa Burdet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The way I want to use Planner, I need to archive plans. It is not acceptible to delete.
        To keep minimum for 3 years after completing the last task

• Anton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We recently started using planner, and we noticed that we need to be able to archive buckets when its finished. Its a great tool, but the way we use it today it becomes way to cluttered if we cant hide or archive buckets.
        The longer we work we need to be able to archive things through out teams and planner.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love this for dated Marketing Campaigns. I run them per year/quarter and would like to close them out/archive them but still be able to access should I need to reference. As is, my plans get clogged up.

I try to use planner for projects. But I don't see any way to mark a plan complete and archive it. So my screen gets full and I can't work effectively anymore. Once a plan is completed and closed, I'd like to remove the group it created also.
        Otherwise how do you deal with the clutter over time?

• Bob Bolin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add my voice, an archive section for completed projects is essential. And a simple delete option, sometimes you start a new plan and it's not flowing as you'd like and it's just easier to delete it.

Could be archive or "hide" or "suspend" option. Once a project/plan is complete, or when it is postponed for funding reasons, etc. Don't want the noise, but want to keep the data.
        Reporting on historical activity from archived data would be valuable as well.

Additional options around this would be very helpful.

1. Converting a plan into a template for new similar projects
        2. Archiving the plan in a compressed read-only fashion to maintain as a record

There absolutely needs to be an archive section where completed plans can live and still be viewed, but organized and out of the way of active plans.

• Courtney M Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When using Planner to manage an editorial calendar, having a place where content elements can be attached for future reference is superbly helpful. Being able to archive the buckets/cards so that the main board is declutter but allows users to search all cards (live and archived) is an efficient way to access needed information in one place.

1. When a project is finished or a group needs to be cleaned up.
        2. I would say 30 days or based on the retention period set in the security center.

• Sam Burton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While working on a project many decisions happen within the plan. Being able to pull this historical information up later on is important. After working on many projects Planner will be cluttered if not "archived". Retention would be indefinite until permanent delete.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12

Feedback and Knowledge Base