Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Planner?

Plans deletion/archive

As I saw that when you delete a Plan all conversations, Groups etc are deleted could be useful to have another Status for that Plans, maybe an "Archived" status, maybe visible in another dashboard or something similar.

1,879 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Nicola shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Tell us more  ·  AdminPlanner Team (Admin, Planner) responded  · 

We’d love to hear more about the following:
    1. When would you delete or archive a plan?
    2. How long would you like it to be accessible?

Feel free to include any specific scenarios where archiving a plan would be useful.

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to reading through your comments!

Cheers,
    The Planner Team

221 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Larysa Burdet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The way I want to use Planner, I need to archive plans. It is not acceptible to delete.
        To keep minimum for 3 years after completing the last task

• Anton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We recently started using planner, and we noticed that we need to be able to archive buckets when its finished. Its a great tool, but the way we use it today it becomes way to cluttered if we cant hide or archive buckets.
        The longer we work we need to be able to archive things through out teams and planner.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love this for dated Marketing Campaigns. I run them per year/quarter and would like to close them out/archive them but still be able to access should I need to reference. As is, my plans get clogged up.

I try to use planner for projects. But I don't see any way to mark a plan complete and archive it. So my screen gets full and I can't work effectively anymore. Once a plan is completed and closed, I'd like to remove the group it created also.
        Otherwise how do you deal with the clutter over time?

• Bob Bolin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add my voice, an archive section for completed projects is essential. And a simple delete option, sometimes you start a new plan and it's not flowing as you'd like and it's just easier to delete it.

Could be archive or "hide" or "suspend" option. Once a project/plan is complete, or when it is postponed for funding reasons, etc. Don't want the noise, but want to keep the data.
        Reporting on historical activity from archived data would be valuable as well.

Additional options around this would be very helpful.

1. Converting a plan into a template for new similar projects
        2. Archiving the plan in a compressed read-only fashion to maintain as a record

There absolutely needs to be an archive section where completed plans can live and still be viewed, but organized and out of the way of active plans.

• Courtney M Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When using Planner to manage an editorial calendar, having a place where content elements can be attached for future reference is superbly helpful. Being able to archive the buckets/cards so that the main board is declutter but allows users to search all cards (live and archived) is an efficient way to access needed information in one place.

1. When a project is finished or a group needs to be cleaned up.
        2. I would say 30 days or based on the retention period set in the security center.

• Sam Burton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While working on a project many decisions happen within the plan. Being able to pull this historical information up later on is important. After working on many projects Planner will be cluttered if not "archived". Retention would be indefinite until permanent delete.

• Aven Webteam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. When would you delete or archive a plan?
        I prefer not to delete at all. I would archive when the project is complete.

2. How long would you like it to be accessible?
        Indefinitely or until I decide to delete it. Asana offers this feature and it is crucial to our needs.

• George commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have been using Asana for a couple of years now and we archive all plans that have been completed. This way we can refer to them whenever we need to i.e. check conversations for specific topics, find files used etc. We tend to keep them for about a year. At the end of the year we clean up and download/save offline old projects/plans.

• AZB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've landed on this page hoping to find a solution for decluttering my Recent Plans tab. It appears people have been asking for an Archive tool in Planner for at least 3 years. What's the hold up!! Please give us a place to file our projects!!! Something as simple as a tab that you can expand to view (like Recent Plans, Favorites..) will do.

• Nelson DeSousa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. Delete the plan if it no longer applies or I don't care about the history. Archive when done with the plan so you can still have metrics and detail associated with that so you don't lose the history on the work accomplished.

2. Forever.

• MRP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Planner Team, this should be in your priority list. Why hasn't this moved to "In Progress"??

To answer your questions:
        1) You would delete a plan when you no longer need it and when you wouldn't need to reference that plan in the future | but morst importantly you would need to Archive a plan for auditing purposes or to be able to restore it in the future if required or even just to have the info accessible

2) Archived should remain accessible indefinitely. If you want to remove it you should delete it

• James Bibby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am leading a long term project that is split into several phases. I organise buckets to correspond with each phase of the project. At the end of each phase I need to do a clean up and create new bukets for next phase, and de-clutter the plan by removing the bucket. At this stage I can only delete, so agree with need for archive. In terms of how long, it would depend on the length of the project and then once project is closed for a period of time after. This could be 3+ years

My team plans an annual event, so the need to re-use this plan once a year is crucial. Currently we use excel, though thought Planner would be a better tool. Having to re-create the plan every year instead of "copy" and update dates is kind of silly. We mideswell continue to use excel and just update dates and assignments with the lack of the archive and copy/paste feature.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11

Feedback and Knowledge Base