As I saw that when you delete a Plan all conversations, Groups etc are deleted could be useful to have another Status for that Plans, maybe an "Archived" status, maybe visible in another dashboard or something similar.
We’d love to hear more about the following:
1. When would you delete or archive a plan?
2. How long would you like it to be accessible?
Feel free to include any specific scenarios where archiving a plan would be useful.
We appreciate your feedback and look forward to reading through your comments!
The Planner Team
Projects have start dates and end dates. When a project is complete it should be able to be archived and accessed at any time indefinitely like most other project management applications.
Any progress on this feature? Desperately need an archive function!!
Need an option to restore accidentally deleted buckets and tasks. Currently any user can delete any item without warning or the ability to restore or even view the delete data.
1. When would you delete a plan? When it was no longer needed
1. When would you archive a plan? when it was no longer needed to be seen every time I open planner.
2. How long would you like it to be accessible? A deleted plan should disappear and archived plan should stay until it is deleted.
Just like a piece of paper if I shred it, its deleted. If I put it in a box and put it in a cupboard it's been archived.
Chris Jordan commented
Just started trying to use planner instead of Asana and gave up after a week. Without the ability to archive a plan then its missing a vital function. We currently install 2 or 3 mini projects a week using the template feature from Asana and then when complete simply archive it for future reference should there be a need to question what was done and by whom.. without the ability to archive we would gain 150 plans a year, and that's just from the mini projects we do. I cannot remember the last time I actually wanted to delete a plan and not archive it.
Archiving should be available at a time length of the users discretion.
Ben Forsyth commented
I plan to use planner as an on/off boarding checklist.
Rather quickly this will create many plans which quickly case planner to get cluttered.
Deleting a plan is a very permanent solution.
I would like to have the ability to archive these completed plans in a way that they can be reinstated or viewed at a later date for compliance purposes or if we need to investigate on-boarding issues.
Is there already an alternative way of achieving a similar outcome?
I would prefer to have indeterminate access to archived plans. If this is not possible then 12 months would be the minimum
Timo Maibach commented
Need an option to restore accidentially deleted plans and tasks. Just deleted 2 major plans while setting up Teams (deleted channels and lost all MS planner data)
Gary Miller commented
Setting Plan status to "Archive" would prevent further changes.
Retention period should be configurable.
Must be searchable for research or audit purposes.
Special "Archived Plans" section in Planner Hub.
Please add this feature soon! As for HOW LONG they should be accessible for, let the end-user decide what's appropriate for their own business.
Some may need it for months, years or indefinitely. Everyone's retention schedule is a little different, right?
Why is this not already a feature? It seems like a necessity for any planning software.
Archive ability for completed tasks, buckets and plans so you are able to remove clutter but still have information accessable
I would like to be able to archive a plan once the project is done. We need to be able to access it indefinitely. My planner Hub is so full of old projects, that it's hard to find the ones I'm working on. I also find myself hesitant to create a plan because it will hang around on my home page forever. For this reason, the more I use ms planner the less useful it has become to me. An archiving function seems pretty basic to me. Is there a reason it hasn't been added before?
This would be a great feature.
1. When would you delete or archive a plan? I would archive a plan as soon as the project is complete. I don't want to see the Plan in any views I use today. On the Planner Hub page, where you see "Recent plans" or "All plans", it would be nice to see an Archived Plans page. I don't want to lose the history but I'd like it out of site yet still available for searches.
2. How long would you like it to be accessible? Forever. I want to control when and if the data can be deleted.
Perhaps another option would be to create some feature that packages a Plan and all associated material into a single ZIP, etc. This would be a backup of this data and could be stored on local resources allowing the Plan to be deleted from the Cloud.
Ideally, I would like to see a option to Archive a plan much like I would make a Plan a favorite.
Cynthia Prickett commented
My org needs to maintain plans for at least a 1 year period from execution for the typical audit cycle. So the ability to archive a plan for a specific period of time (even better would be for it to be user defined) would be perfect.
In contrast to above, having the option to PDF the plan to meet IT Change Control and document retention policies would be very helpful as well.
Planner team - any updates on when this could become a reality? This is very important to my team to keep plans handy for reference and template usage. Same with buckets - it would be nice to have the same functionality at that level as well for the exact same reasons.
We’d love to hear more about the following:
1. When would you delete or archive a plan? When a plan is completed or cancelled, important that the information is kept available for future reference or template usage.
2. How long would you like it to be accessible? Until deleted by admin level so historical searches can be completed by anyone available within the plan.
3. Anything else? YES! Ability to hide / archive a bucket within a plan
When I am done with a plan I don't want to look at it anymore. I manage our trade shows and I when the show is over I want to archive the plan, so it doesn't muddy up my view. I don't want to delete it because I reference when planning for the show the next year. I am so happy you added the copy a plan/template because my show tasks are redundant.
I have used Basecamp and Trello for planning for shows and Basecamp is the best, but my company has adopted 365, so please keep enhancing Planner and Teams to compete with these products.
1. I would delete a plan if a project is cancelled, or just obsolete
2. I would always archive a completed plan/project instead of deleting it and make it accessible by every member for research till it's deleted (see 1)
Please add the ability to archive specific buckets within plans to free up horizontal space in the view and improve performance.
We use plans that are based on functional roles within our teams so our plans are long lived and won’t be deleted.
Blake G commented
1. Archiving plans would likely be default for many businesses - they want to keep the data, tasks completed and who completed them, as well as project timeline in one place and be able to reference it.
2. This should be configurable. Set it to 1 year, 2 years, 5 years etc. for archiving options.
It's been a year since the admin response - any update on if we are getting this? Development on other PM platforms is much more agile...