Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Planner?

Mark a task as a prereq or dependency on another task i.e. relationship

Would be useful to set a task as requiring another task to complete before it can change state.

841 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely, being able to trace parent/child task relationships across multiple buckets would really improve functionality. At a granular level I have many cards in a sub task bucket, which can be easily linked to my high level task bucket by the colour coded labels, however to trace relationships of any sub task a level in between top and bottom currently requires the invention of some sort of alphanumeric categorisation system.

• Kael Alberghini commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Perhaps make tasks "taggable" with an @Task Name setup in order to mark it as a dependency-

ie, if I have to verify users before setting up an email account for them, setting the task as "@Verify User [show option to select task] Set up email account" and the task would check for completion of "Verify User" before allowing completion of "Set up email account"-

or "Set up email account" would only become visible once "Verify User" is marked complete. (A possible granular account setting for individual users/teams?)

• Andrew Trott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will make it easier to manage projects as asking the common question "what is blocking this from getting done?" In turn this will create urgency on the blocking issue to be resolved.

• David R Cheeseman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any hope for adding this? I just recently saw that assigning people multiple tasks works and if this could be added to the pool it would compete with Jira and other project management suites.

• Lisa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding task dependencies is the only way this product will be useful for my projects; each step is dependent on the prior one to complete before the next can start, and the schedule needs to self-adjust accordingly

• David Slobod commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition, I wish the dates of linked tasks would automatically adjust when a predecessor task date is changed. If I build a plan and include due dates with all my tasks, it's a lot of work to manually adjust all those individual dates when critical pre-decessor tasks are delayed.

• Chad Johnston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since introducing Planner to my internal colleagues, a "lightweight" form of task dependency is one of the most commonly requested features. These colleagues are from different areas of the company, but all seem to require only a basic level of task dependency; Microsoft Project is overly complicated for their needs...not to mention very expensive for licensing. These users are stuck using Project in the meantime.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to add to this: When you have dependencies between objects (tasks, buckets, whatever) draw arrows to/from them to give a visual indication of what order things need to happen in. Sorta like a Visio diagram.

• Dimitris Foukas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also add that this should also constrain the prioritization of the tasks within a bucket, ie the UI should not allow moving a dependant task above its master.

• Emily Gallichan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree -I'd like to create dependant tasks that have a 'Pending' or 'Dependant' status - in order to plan ahead for my team. It would be great if users could get specific with follow-up tasks too:

E.g 'Set due date/time of new pending task to:
        - Immediately after preceding task is completed
        - X minutes/hours/days following the completion of the preceding task.

(I'd also like the option to get granular with due times rather than just due dates.)

The email notification to the assignee would also pend until the pending task due time/date is triggered by the completion of the preceding task.

• Alex Woodrow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Leankit (which we will replace with Planner) also has the sub-task functionality and its a quite important one. To-do lists in planner are good, but they can't have their own due dates etc.

• Keith Mack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This could also replace Sharepoint workflows, especially if dependency was on a task assigned to another individual.

• Jeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In practice, having subtask would be more useful. Similar to functionality in products list Todoist and RTM.

Feedback and Knowledge Base